PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Favourite recipe books

Options

Comments

• prettypennies
    prettypennies Posts: 1,541 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Falling Cloudberries - By Tessa Kiros - Only £4.99 from The Book People, bargain. I love her recipe for Patitsio.

How to Eat - Nigella, a good allrounder.

The Dinner Lady Cookbook, a good storecupboard cookbook.

Walkerswood Caribbean Kitchen - Vrgina Burke

Tapas - Adrian Lissen. The green bean tapa in this book is one of my favourite snacks off all time.

Tana Ramsay's Family Kitchen - Osso Bucco, yummy!
    Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!:j:j
  • vfairbrass
    vfairbrass Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Mary Berry 'Fast Cakes'
    Rose Elliott - 'Your very good health' and all her vegetarian books.
    Farmers Weekly 'Farmouse Fare'
    Georgina Horley ' Good food on a budget'
    Rubinstein and Bush 'Penguin Freezer Cookbook'
    Chrissie Taylor ' Magic of the microwave' - good for short cuts
    Good Housekeeping ' Cookery Book' - for when you can't remember how to make meringues etc.

Beryl Wood ' Let's preserve it'
    Women's Institute ' Home made wines, syrups and cordials'
    are brought out at this time of year when there's a blackberry glut

and another current favourite - every recipe is a real winner - Sainsbury's 'Home Baking'. Only £3.99 and is packed with great ideas.

A source that I have been using more than anything else recently since a posting on this site over Christmas is a loose leaf folder that I have made up of printouts of the recipes in Shirley Goode's blog http://shirleygoode.blogspot.com/
    Not really a book but I refer to it more than any book.

As you can tell from this list I am not really up on modern TV chefs
    Valerie
  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have found three very old books, - written at a time when there were no blenders, microwaves, etc etc. These are now my favourites and are as follows:-

A Selection Of Proved Recipes For Use With Gas Cookers - by author unknown (name defaced) first published in 1927. Some interesting recipes, including two on how to cook a sheep's head! :eek:

Joy Of Cooking - by Irma S.Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker - first published in 1931. An American book packed with recipes, many of which are tasty sandwiches.

The Constance Spry Cookery Book - by Constance Spry and Rosemary Hume - first published in 1956. This is by far the best of them, because it is a proper cookery course, teaching all the basics of general kitchen practice, and even how to make bread, flambés etc. It's also in pristine condition, while the others have the covers missing and are defaced in parts.

I've already cooked a great boeuf bourguignon from the third book. It was GOOD :drool:

:)
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • vfairbrass
    vfairbrass Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Quasar wrote: »
    A Selection Of Proved Recipes For Use With Gas Cookers - by author unknown (name defaced) first published in 1927. Some interesting recipes, including two on how to cook a sheep's head! :eek:

:)

I think this is the Radiation Cookbook, published originally by Radiation Group Sales in Birmingham in 1927. It was reprinted many times and you can still get copies on the second hand market for a couple of pounds. Abebooks have several copies :
    http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?kn=selection+of+proved+recipes&sortby=3&sts=t&x=15&y=13

Valerie
  • Raspberry_Swirl
    Options
    Tana Ramsays Family Cookbook
    China Modern - Ching-He huang
    Momma Cherrie's Soul in a bowl cookbook
    Quick & easy tapas - Silvana Franco
    Home cook - Alastair Hendy

I want a Nigella book but they hold their price so well that they're still £12-15 on amazon :(
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My fav recipe books
    Cas Clarke grub on a grant, vegetarian grub on a grant and mean beans (i have had and used these books since my student days.
    The covent garden soup recipe book

My newest book cost 50p at a charity shop and is Rose Elliotts Vegetarian barbeques and grills. it looks as if it has never been used:D. i'm looking forward to getting my barbeque out (incidently my bbq was free as my parents noticed last year on a camping site they were staying on, that many people who were going home had bought bbqs from the camp shop but couldn't be bothered to lug them home again. on a friday evening the area next to the bins had a large collection of nearly new bbq's. so they collected me 2 different ones (green veggie and red meat) a bit of elbow grease and good as new.:j:j
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    My faves are the Be-ro recipe book for baking as well as Muffins:Fast and Fantastic by Susan Reimer

The Farmhouse Kitchen Books I & II plus cooking for 1 or 2.

The 90's version Dairy Cook Book

The Times cookery book.

I often cut recipes out I find in magazines but don't often get around to making them!!
    :wave:
  • boo81
    boo81 Posts: 654 Forumite
    Options
    I thought I was weird loving cookbooks as I do but I see im not the only one, the most useful ones for me are:

The ultimate student cookbook-pretty sure not still produced

Nigella Lawson-feast and how to be a domestic godess

Australian Womens Weekly - wicked indulgences, fast soup, saucery and muffins editions

Ive got plenty of others but I find these I come back to time and time again and I know the recipes will work. Tessa Kiros has 2 beautiful books which I frequently drool over, I find many books sound lovely but the recipes are not practical to make for some reason.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    boo81 wrote: »
    I thought I was weird loving cookbooks as I do but I see im not the only one
    You certainly aren't :D

Another one of my favourites for inspiration is The New English Kitchen by Rose Prince. it's been mentioned before by me and others. It's brilliant for showing you how to get the most out of food by stretching expensive ingredients and using storecupboard stuff creativley.

I know what you mean about Tessa Kiros' books btw, but I think there's a place for cookbooks which fill you with enthusiasm for cooking and food.
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Rose Elliot's complete vegetarian cookbook is the only cookery book that always lives in my kitchen. I got it for my 21st birthday (nearly 20 yrs ago!!) and it is still the first book I reach for when I'm looking for advice or inspiration. She is such a clear writer that it's also perfect for how-to stuff that I forget when I haven't done it for a while. It's got all the basics, how to boil an egg or make pancakes, as well as a whole range of classic veggie dishes like lasagna, risotto etc. Photos look very outdated now is the only problem with it.

Jamie's Italy is the other constant presence at the minute. His risotto recipe is gorgeous and his pizzas are staple dishes in our house.

Nigella bites would live there too if I could afford the calories but alas I only look at it when I'm cooking for other people :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure