PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Favourite recipe books

Options

Comments

• lbnblbnb
    lbnblbnb Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    More With Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre (American)
    Feed Your Family for £5 a Day by Bernadine Lawrence
    Yes, couldn't agree more. "More with less" is interesting for the recipes and for the ideas, "£5 a day" is great for healthy food on a budget, her story is inspiring. A pity it is out of print.
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
  • Buffy_the_Vampire_Bat
    Options
    I love the old Hamlyn cookbooks, especially the All Colour Cookbook - I have three editions of this - one from the late 60's, one from the 80s, and a 00's edition - I love them both for the recipes, and for the books themselves - it's interesting to note how people's tastes have changed over the years - the increased range of food stuffs is reflected in these books, and I think they make a nice piece of social history too :)

Cooking wise, I love the BBC's 101 Smart Suppers and 101 One Pot Dishes, Delia's Winter/Christmas/Spring collections, Ainsley's Meals In Minutes (one original, one low fat, one follow up), and Sam Stern's first book (and no, I'm not a teenager, I just like some of his recipes :D)
    DFW no.554 - Proud to be dealing with my debts :T
    DAVID TENNANT CAN PROBE ME WITH HIS SONIC SCREWDRIVER ANYTIME...:A
    FLYING THE FLAG FOR THE CAMBRIDGE BOOTS TARTS :happyhear
  • Hadley
    Hadley Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    I need to start getting rid off some cookbooks at the moment I have around 2500 which is abit much bookshelves seem to be over taking the house.
    At the moment my Favourites are.Bill Granger,Donna Hay,Ina Garten,James Martin and Martha Stewart.
  • Buffy_the_Vampire_Bat
    Options
    Ooh, there's lots of those BBC 101 cookbooks on Amazon...*like a kid in a sweet shop*
    DFW no.554 - Proud to be dealing with my debts :T
    DAVID TENNANT CAN PROBE ME WITH HIS SONIC SCREWDRIVER ANYTIME...:A
    FLYING THE FLAG FOR THE CAMBRIDGE BOOTS TARTS :happyhear
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    In no particular order these are the ones I use most -I read lots for inspiration and have a large collection, but the one below are the ones I pull out to follow a recipe from.

More With Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre (American)
    Muffins:Fast anbd Fantastic by Susan Reimer
    The Pauper's Cookbook by Jocasta Innes
    Quick and Easy Preserves by Simone Sekers
    Mary Berry's Ultimate Cake Book
    Feed Your Family for £5 a Day by Bernadine Lawrence

For inspiration I like Hugh FW, Nigel Slater, Jane Grigson, Rose Prince and Diana Henry
    Another favourite of mine which I find I'm using more and more is

From Kettle Broth to Gooseberry Fool by Jenny Baker -subtitled 'a celebration of simple English food'.

I've just been consulting it to make crab apple jelly (11 jars). I find I'm actually cooking more and more traditional British food rather than thrifty American dishes of the kind found in More With Less.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lamplady wrote: »
    ooh you might be able to help me. I just got a 2nd hand copy of MP's Cookery in Colour, but the pictures aren't as I remember them from my youth....some of the colour ones from my childhood edition were black and white in this one and vice versa, and there was no picture of the mouthwatering charlotte russe I used to dream about:rotfl:

Are there a multitude of different versions of this book? The one I want has a colour picture of oranges filled with jelly to make sailing boats.

I know I'm sad:T

Hi, I've just had a look in my Marguerite Pattern book called "Marguerite Pattern's New All Colour Cookery Book", writen for Marks and Spencer and this book hasn't got the oranges which you are looking for. So there must be different versions of the book. Also I doubt she wrote for Marks and Spencer in the first place :D so my book might be a combined version of various books.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    Madhur Jaffreys 'Indian Cooking' - kinda old but never had a recipe go wrong.
    Using 'How To Eat' by Nigella quite a bit at the moment but find some of her ingredients a tad extravagent - the things I would like to make just bang up against my OS principles too much.
    My copy of Delias Complete Cookery Course is battered and bruised but to be honest I've had too many things go wrong out of it for me to trust it that much anymore - of course it's not ME following the recipes wrong :p

My partner and I have a vow that we cook a new recipe every time we see each other - we did Nigella's lemon risotto from 'Nigella Bites' this weekend - nice but won't be repeated whereas the amended pea risotto (its now pea and pancetta) from 'How to Eat' is a regular
    Comps £2016 in 2016 - 1 wins = £530 26.2%
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER No. 428 2015 - £210.93

• jordylass
    jordylass Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Ainsley's Meals In Minutes (one original, one low fat, one follow up), and Sam Stern's first book (and no, I'm not a teenager, I just like some of his recipes :D)

I forgot about Ainsley. I have all of those and 'cook out', they are fantastic recipes to follow and always come out well. I also have Sam Stern, got it from the library then bought it.
    There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
  • Ginger_Girl
    Options
    Hi
    Just one or two to add! I love Tana Ramsey family cookbook (wife of Gordon) and Annabel Karmels baby and toddler book. We love her tuna and crisp bake!
  • Alex_of_Swansea
    Options
    I love 'The Joy of cooking', Rombauer, Becker and Becker. It's American, but it has loads of recipes, including many english dishes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure