Getting a TV licence refund - another scam!

Options
GingerBob_3
GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
edited 12 August 2017 at 11:13PM in TV MoneySaving
Ever tried to get a refund from TVL, maybe because you're a student vacating your term-time living accommodation?

Okay, so they don't really want to give you a refund and make it as difficult as possible to claim it via their website, but get this:

I applied for a refund three weeks ago and as of today no cheque had turned up - so I rang them. The upshot was, claiming a refund is not sufficient. You also have to CANCEL the licence, and because I hadn't done so, the refund wasn't being processed. Also, the call centre clerk couldn't access my refund order via the reference number they'd sent me; "it's not possible to do that"!

I got to looking at the TVL website again and surprise, surprise, it's totally unclear that you have to cancel as well as request a refund. In fact, there's no option TO CANCEL (as opposed to applying for a refund) to cover the situation of a student, or anyone else for that matter, moving out.

I know TVL [Text removed], so maybe the call centre clerk was lying to me about this. Anyway, he cancelled it on the phone and I've resubmitted a refund request. I suspect this won't be the end of it.

And of course if the licence had been taken out in September there would not now be a quarter (3 consecutive, full, months) to refund. Luckily I took it out in October.

NB: If you're a student ALWAYS wait till October before getting a TV Licence.

Comments

• Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would have thought it common sense that to get a refund on something you have to cancel it first?
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Protest with your pocket and go legally licence-free from now on.
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Kurtis_Blue Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    Options
    If you no longer need a TV licence you can cancel and claim back the unused 1/4s, all this is very clear on the website.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ286

doesn't require stress or indepth research, have you just completed a degree?
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Options
    I have no idea what the problem is, you cancel the TV licence then claim a refund.

If you are struggling with doing it online they provide a phone number to call.

Here is some clear advice for you.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/refund-form-advice-top14
  • GingerBob_3
    Options
    I have no idea what the problem is, you cancel the TV licence then claim a refund.

If you are struggling with doing it online they provide a phone number to call.

Here is some clear advice for you.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/refund-form-advice-top14

Stroll on! Some people are hard work. Let me try and explain the issue in simpler terms:

I want a refund.

I work through the website process for students, which takes me to the refund page (note: not the cancellation page).

No refund is forthcoming.

I phone to ask why.

Answer: you need to cancel the licence first.

I Check website again and it's not possible to cancel and then claim a refund for the circumstances of a student leaving accommodation (nor does it tell you anywhere that this must be done).

Conclusion: They are deliberately making the process difficult. This is borne out by there being no option to cancel or claim a refund when you work through the (extensive) phone menu.
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Options
    Stroll on? that's a pretty strange thing to say.

I remember you now you wanted to pay for this licence by sending it in an envelope with no stamp. Indeed some people are very hard work.

You are quite rude and I am sorry if you cannot complete this very simple task with the clear links I have given you.

Good luck in the future.
  • GingerBob_3
    Options
    Stroll on? that's a pretty strange thing to say.

I remember you now you wanted to pay for this licence by sending it in an envelope with no stamp. Indeed some people are very hard work.

You are quite rude and I am sorry if you cannot complete this very simple task with the clear links I have given you.

Good luck in the future.

Yes, correct. As it happened I paid for it by cheque and used an un-franked second-class stamp carefully peeled of a birthday card envelope. Money Saving Expert or what :)

(Didn't mean to be rude, BTW. Apologies)
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try cancelling via the normal method without mentioning being a student?
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Indeed.

GingerBob has a point (I think). I don't know about the student refund/cancellation process, but TVL has a more general habit of asking for spurious information and documentation which is not legally required.

The two options that never require proof of the reason for cancelling are:-

- To become legally Licence free.
    - To emigrate.

Use one of those reasons when cancelling, and it should be instant, and trouble-free.

It's not an offence to lie to TVL, and if they weren't making life unnecessarily difficult for people, it wouldn't be necessary.
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Options
    The difference is if you just send in your licence for a refund they will refund it from the date it is received/cancelled.

But if you provide additional info, such as end of study dates, they will additionally back date the refund to that date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure