No Chrome, what happened and how do I fix it?!

Options
jenniewb
jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I used to have Chrome as my primary browser, I also have Internet Explorer but mainly used Chrome.

Over the past week I kept getting "He's Dead Jim!" error message pages which Google tells me is a memory problem. I/E was working fine, I did a few virus scans, looked for updates, no answers.

Today I tried to use Chrome as normal but the whole page is an error message! No home page, no bookmarks, I couldn't use it at all. So I tried uninstalling to reinstall later and see if it repaired itself.

Now I can't even re-install it. I have tried but get a pop up telling me it failed, offering to send a log to Google (via a Sawbucket download). I have done all that but right now still do not have Chrome, all my bookmarks and so on are missing. I can use IE fine but I'd rather have Chrome back. I have tried searching Google but don't know what I am looking for- I have no idea what the problem actually is!

Does this ring any bells with anyone? Does anyone have any ideas on things I can try so I can reinstall Chrome? And does anyone have any clues as to what the problem could be so I can try to fix it?

Thanks in advance. I'm totally lost on this!

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Try using revo uninstaller from here http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

It will remove any files associated with chrome and then you should be able to do a fresh install.

Let us know how you get on.

Andy
  • Penniesmakepounds
    Options
    Hi

I have Vista and after updates installed and restarting I also have no Chrome. Only IE.

Microsoft windows box pops up saying:

Google Chrome has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

So no access at all.

All my bookmarks are on there too. I can access IE but sloooooow! Tried looking for answers on various searches/forums.

Advice differs - one says go to local disc C Program files. Search Chrome exe rename add exe

(Mine only says Chrome but no exe)

The other advice was to uninstall Cyberlink Power2go.

Not being tech savvy and in fact having not many pc scruples. I have no idea what to do next.

Someone advised delete Chrome altogether - if it's not working. I was wondering if there was some foolproof way or getting Chrome back + all the saved info.

Initially tried repairs as suggested but still says not working.
    so no immediate solution to the problem.

If I proceed with the info advised on here. Would that be the answer to this problem and also restore chrome & access to bookmark history.

Any help appreciated
  • Penniesmakepounds
    Options
    Tried Microsoft fix it troubleshoot solution and it seems to have auto fixed issues/errors on C. It was a lengthy report.
    May help someone with similar issues.

However, decided to upgrade to evade further issues.
  • elle_may
    elle_may Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Last year when chrome updated i lost it, tried all ways, reinstalling did no good, tried all links to try and repair it. It was only when some one said that vista had problems with a google number update and CyberlinkYou cam and i should etheir update this or delete it. As i never use the webcam i just deleted it, reinstalled chrome and it has had no new problems with any other updates. Just one more thing to try.I .hope it works
  • jenniewb
    Options
    Well; I thought I'd just report back as I've managed to find out what the issue is; my computer got worse before it got better and on Friday just went through a routine of booting up, starting to run a "windows repair" screen to 40%, got me to the home screen and then instantly crashed again...must have been about 10 times before I just gave up trying to interfere (it wasn't responding to me anyway other than to pause before carrying on regardless)

I contacted the company I got the computer built from and they helped me run a few tests (in the few minutes I had between crashes!) and had also taken down the notes and codes for every error message I'd seen on my screen.
    Turns out the issue was a hardware one and I have a faulty memory card.
    I've taken this out, now am down to one memory card and am hoping to get things sorted out next week. I think the card must have been playing up for a year or so because I've not had the regular freezing or restarts I'd been experiencing (but been too busy, tired or lazy to do anything about!)

I am pretty sure my issue isn't one most people will have (I hope!) but I wanted to report back on things just in case it does help someone who is at their wits end and wants to try anything because everything so far has not helped.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    When you say "memory card" I presume you mean "memory module"/"RAM stick"? (That plugs in to the motherboard). Yes - faulty RAM can cause all sorts of issues.

Make sure you get a replacement stick the same model as the existing one, or replace them as a pair. (I'd opt for the latter, and maybe take the opportunity to increase your RAM if possible).
  • jenniewb
    Options
    bod1467 wrote: »
    When you say "memory card" I presume you mean "memory module"/"RAM stick"? (That plugs in to the motherboard). Yes - faulty RAM can cause all sorts of issues.

Make sure you get a replacement stick the same model as the existing one, or replace them as a pair. (I'd opt for the latter, and maybe take the opportunity to increase your RAM if possible).
    Thanks- I'm not as clued up on computer hardware and am trying to learn as I go along which I worry about going wrong with!

I'm currently down to 4GB memory (which is also the amount of memory I am missing). I can find a replacement on the same website I bought from for £23, not sure if it's cheaper elsewhere or reputable AND cheaper elsewhere to get more memory and both RAM sticks, I'm not so wealthy at the moment -so is likely to be something I save up to replace, if it makes more sense to increase the space rather than buying twice maybe I should do this.

Do you or does anyone have any recommendations for where to get replacement memory sticks from for an affordable increase on a total of 8GB? I have only looked on the site I bought from, Ebay and Amazon, I have no real experience of buying hardware separately so don't know if there are certain brands to go for or avoid in terms of quality, longevity or customer service if anything does go wrong.

Sadly I have been told I am 4 months out of warranty which is a real irritation as I'd been having problems for a long while now but had been too ill, too busy or not around enough (in hospital) to attempt to deal with my computer playing up and had just tried to work around it. Had I done something about the issue at the time I'd have likely been sent a replacement memory stick, now I'm looking at £23+ to either replace what I had or increase what I have.

There are times that I really feel like kicking myself; now is one of them!
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Maximum RAM depends on what your motherboard can support. (How many RAM slots, and maximum size each slot can handle). If you are using 4GB sticks then 2x4GB = 8GB should be fine.

You could try the Crucial system scanner (http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/systemscanner) which will tell you exactly what you need. Then you could search for best deals on pairs of RAM sticks.
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    edited 15 June 2015 at 8:41PM
    Options
    The machine will probably run perfectly well with 4GB, they don't need 8GB.

Post details of the tests and error messages they based their diagnosis on,the model of the machine, and the version of windows installed
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • jenniewb
    Options
    bsod wrote: »
    The machine will probably run perfectly well with 4GB, they don't need 8GB.

Post details of the tests and error messages they based their diagnosis on,the model of the machine, and the version of windows installed
    The tests they tried to get me to do were diagnostic tests which I managed to run after a few Windows crash error messages told me to check my memory, the diagnostic tests told me there were "memory management" errors.

Quite often I'd get Chrome crashing and an error message too.

It got to the point where I'd boot up, get my log in screen, log in and then my home screen. I'd not even be able to get a web page up before the computer would crash, I'd get a blue screen with a Windows message telling me my computer had failed or crashed (happened too quickly to write everything down but it was a generic apology and message about scanning something with an error code at the bottom, I was more focused on trying to write down the error code).

I'd taken down all the error messages which seemed to be any one of many, the list I'd kept of some (sadly not all as I'd not logged the earlier messages) were; (in no particular order and some were repeated on later crashes)

Sym EFA64.SYS
    System Thread Exceptions
    Kernal Security Check Failure
    --(I will add here, my internet security is Norton and I've never heard of Kernal before nor is it loaded to any of my installed files and applications)
    0Xc000021a
    Memory Management
    (this was the most common error message)
    System Service Exception
    System Thread Exception Not Handled
    SRTSP64.SYS

I had also a problem when it repeatedly crashed, restarted and then ran some sort of a correction; I had a black screen, computer brand logo on the screen in white and below that a message saying "Scanning and repairing drive (C:)" and a % number to show how far it was. It would get as far as around 40% (sometimes 37%, sometimes 39%, one time 45%) which would take anything from 5 minutes to 45 minutes, then either it would crash again and reboot and start this scan again, or load the log in and then home screen...and then crash after 5 minutes and restart the scanning.

I spoke to someone from the technical department on the phone who managed to get a diagnostic bios test done via clicking the delete key on boot up (none of the F keys responded to anything which is what I'd always been told to select). They decided it was a hardware issue. It was either the memory stick/s or the motherboard.

The advice was to try taking out one of the two memory sticks and testing them one at a time. It was pretty obvious which was the faulty card on doing this and I've not had any real issues since taking out the faulty card besides a few "high usage" pop-ups from either my internet security or from Google Chrome which I just ignore because I've no idea why using for example one web page to view and read a text rich email would be high usage when I normally at other times will have anything up to 20 web pages on both IE AND Chrome, with the iplayer playing a programme and iTunes sync-ing my ipod in the background and don't get an error message. I used to get these before removing the memory card.

I was told it should be OK to run on just one stick but it does make me wonder why I have had two if the computer never needed two. I'll see how things go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure