Who is responsible for taxing a traded in vehicle?

Options
I traded in my old car at national dealership chain on Friday 29th May and picked up a shiny new one from them.

My old car had a private registration plate on it and in order to transfer it, the dealer took a payment of £80 from me and sent off a cheque to the DVLA, along with the old V5C form.

Today I received a letter from the DVLA saying that they couldn't transfer the plate from the old car to the new car, as the tax on the old vehicle ran out on Sunday 31st May. They have also returned the cheque from the dealer.

My question is, who should be responsible for the tax on the old vehicle?

I have signed paperwork from the 29th May, showing the old car was traded in as part of the finance deal for the new car.

I briefly spoke to the dealer tonight who are claiming that the old car still belongs to me and I'll have to tax it for 6 months, and then claim back any remaining tax after the plate has been transferred over.

Has anyone ever been in this situation before? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• RS2000.
    RS2000. Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    They won't get any tax, all unused tax goes back to the previous keeper.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can only remove a plate from a car which is taxed, or which has been taxed in the last 12 months... AND which is now SORNed with no break in licencing. Which there now has been, so it'll need taxing again for the plate transfer.

The trader doesn't need to tax or SORN it whilst it's in his stock. But you want it taxed to get your plate off. Which means that the tax? Your problem, in my book.

Just another reason to remove the plate BEFORE chopping it in.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    It might be worth SORNing it now. That should backdate to 1st Jun, filling the gap, so you may be able to transfer it without taxing.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't understand why people get dealers involved in retaining their 'cherished' registration plate.

A dealership - no matter how large - is the last place I would look to for assistance with keeping my number.

The simplest, quickest (and cheapest) method is to do it yourself on-line.

I think the OPs thread title should have been 'How to retain my cherished plate when trading in?'

You can't transfer a plate from a car with no valid VED.

The VED on your old car expired the moment you traded it in, and a cheque for any remaining full months VED will be sent to you in due course.

Unfortunately, handing the V5C to the dealer before getting your cherished plate on retention was completely the wrong way to go about things.

I would advise that you now get a move on quickly - pay the VED on-line - get the cherished plate on retention - once you have that then SORN the vehicle thereby cancelling the VED.

If you don't move on this, the dealer will sell the car and your cherished number will become the property of the new owner.
  • StevieMcK
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.

I left it to the day of the trade-in as the dealer waxed lyrical about their new DVLA linked system that could transfer the cherished plates instantly... which then didn't work when they tried it. At that point the only other option was to send off the paperwork.

Is it not a bit of a d*ck move to SORN the car if I no longer have it or does it legally still belong to me?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 June 2015 at 10:01PM
    Options
    You are, by your logic of saying you are no longer the keeper of the vehicle from 29/05/15 and give the car to the dealer, then if they sell it with the private plate on, you lost have the lost the right to use it.

As above, always put your plate on retention first before trading it in.

EDIT: Saw your post, you are still the keeper/owner, as you must be to transfer your plate off the vehicle. Once you receive the new V5C wth the old plate, give the V5C to the dealer, tear off the yellow slip V5C/3, fill it in, yourself and dealer sign BUT DO NOT have the dealer send it on your behalf, you do it.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    StevieMcK wrote: »
    Is it not a bit of a d*ck move to SORN the car if I no longer have it or does it legally still belong to me?
    Try it. It won't make any difference to the trader.

If the transfer-to-trader's gone through, then it may won't work - because your V5C Doc Ref probably won't allow you to do it.

If the transfer's not gone through yet, then the SORN'll probably be cancelled when it does anyway.

Thinking about it, the same probably applies to trying to tax it on the doc ref.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Try it. It won't make any difference to the trader.

If the transfer-to-trader's gone through, then it may won't work - because your V5C Doc Ref probably won't allow you to do it.

If the transfer's not gone through yet, then the SORN'll probably be cancelled when it does anyway.

Thinking about it, the same probably applies to trying to tax it on the doc ref.

If the transfer to trader has been done, then their transfer of
    the plate probably won't go through either.
  • Tigerprint
    Tigerprint Posts: 199 Forumite
    edited 10 June 2015 at 12:37AM
    Options
    I am assuming the 'new' car is already taxed?

(For the 'old' car) Best way it to get the whole V5 back from the dealer with the current MOT. Tax the car using the V5C/2 or the V5 but don't let the post office take the V5 as its still in your name (or should be)

Leave the V5 in your name (for your old car with the number plate to be transferred) Complete the V5 for the new car adding yourself as the new keeper.

Fill in the transfer V317 form (you should end up with your name/address in both boxes )

That way both V5s come back to you & you can complete the yellow slip for your 'old' car & send back to DVLA (to generate your tax refund) Giving the rest of the V5 (for your old car) back to them.

Make sure both cars are insured. The dealer should be able 'help' out here as they will have access to a database ;)

In answer to your question... I guess it's both your responsibilities to ensure that the other knows to ensure the process goes smoothly...
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If that's what thedealer said to you then I think you are within your rights to kick up a fuss! You will only need to pay 1 month tax, not 6 months. Insist they pay. If part of their sales pitch involved bragging ofa 1 day transfer the them failing to do that could easily be seen as a breach of contract.

What op could have done with the benefit of hindsight is irrelevant. It's reasonable for op to take their advice on it.

I don't see the logic of them saying you still own the car. Unless I'm misinterpreting this? It would have become theirs as soon as it was finalised. By that logic as the owner offer to pick it up from them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure