Was Mortgage Free until 52!!!

Options

Comments

• A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello,

I found that staff at the Halifax really were not all that clued up about overpayments. I had to really emphasise what I wanted to do or the money would just sit in the mortgage account without being used to overpay or reduce interest. As you say, they don't like people overpaying.

Well done on your progress so far,

Squirrel x

Hi Squirrel

Thanks for popping in and for the encouragement.

So someone else has had similar experience - funny how its the same mortgage co.

As far trying to get a new deal, they're in no hurry, why would they be, when I'm paying double the interest rate at the moment.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Watty1 wrote: »
    I started out wanting the amount reduced - when the mortgage got lower I wanted the term reduced - I've never succeeded in getting the bank to understand the reduce the term bit - so - I just started to look at the difference between the new and previous mortgage payment as part of the next overpayment.

Hi Watty, thanks for stopping by.

Why is it they can't or maybe the word is "won't" admit they know what we are all taking about when it comes to it. Fairly sure they would know if talking about their own mortgage.

Just one word though - when o/p just watch out for your o/p limit. (well ok 9 words)
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Hi

I honestly don't know about two extra days interest. I'm sorry it's Halifax making life difficult. I overpay online, both the regular overpayments and large one off overpayments. They only adjust the amount when I renew a product ( and ultimately that's my fault as I don't reduce the term). I've honestly never had an issue overpaying or them messing about with my payments to make sure I'm paying as little per month as possible. I confess I don't do these things over the counter - I generally find staff are a limitation to efficient banking!! :D

Great news on reducing to the next £500

Bexster :)
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Hi Bexster

Gosh your up early!! Yeah feel quite smug went it went under the next £500.

Not feeling quite so smug now though as my medical condition has worsened - I believe through stress at the grindstone. So bottom line is I've been told to get to my gp and not to go in tomorrow. If I have an early night will see how I feel in the morning.

Sitting here with my feet up in the quiet, no tv or music - total silence, have 2 parcels to wrap for posting for the bay of e, then its early bed for me.

nite, nite
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Had a NSD :jas not out of the house at all today. Had another restful peaceful day. Looking through finances, had some money in paypal so transferred that to my main account, also signed up for internet banking from the account that my salary gets paid into.
    Then found an old bank book, interesting reading - back in 2008/9 received a considerable sum of interest £850 :Dplus £720 :Dplus in interest only to drop to £52.00:( plus for the same amount deposited. Oh and theres nearly £300.00 :D:Din there, need to put it to better use.
    Sold a couple of items on ebay - still to parcel up and send once payment received.
    Then need to count my pennies out of my large china piggy bank - think have around £60.00:p, so that will go with me on Monday (if I can carry - its so heavy) when I have an appt with mortgage advisor.:cool:
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Had my meeting with Mortgage advisor, had to do a review, turns out they have changed the rules and no longer lend over your retirement years:eek:. Just as well I wanted my years reduced then, isn't it?

To go back on Tuesday, when he will have final figures, facts, etc.

Just paid another £645.00 o/p. :D:j:D Think this might be my last till payday, again.
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Well, there you go, first time I've o/p by reducing my bs account to the limit I don't like to go under 2 weeks before payday and what happens, got gas bill in:(, and its a whopper :eek:- so the £300.00 I found in a dormant account is now gone. Then I buy bus tickets by the load - another £100.00 but will last me through the winter months.The 2 items I have sold on ebay might get me my bread and butter for the next two weeks,:rotfl: speaking of bread. I was doing so well or so I thought for groceries budget this month, then popped into M&S for fresh orange juice and a loaf - had a £5 in my hand and was deemed speachless when I received 15p change. What ???? Teach me to pick up a loaf at A11di or L11d1s next time, but wont do without my fresh o/juice from markies.
    Finished off painting the side of the building today, only the front and front steps left to do now.:)
    Mortgage appt on Tuesday, so will be in a new deal from the start of next month - hopefully, which will reduce % from 3.99 to 1.78:D. Then to drs for appt - he will keep me off my work a bit longer.:D:D
  • bexster1975
    Options
    Hi

Good luck Tuesday! I think when my rate changed by a similar amount I saved about £60 a month on interest!

Just to be naughty, Lid! Fresh orange juice is also very nice! :p

Sorry to hear about energy bill

• A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Yes, thanks I know it will be for the best and mad I've not done it sooner, but I hate comittment so to tie myself into 2 years is a major thing for me, already I'm thinking what if I want to borrow more - have had this mad idea I want to buy a second property to let, least that way I'll have some pension. But as I say - mad idea.

I've heard Lid!'s fresh orange juice is lovely - will really need to try it and compare, was there today for my moisturiser lotion and treated myself to a ice cream/sorbet deluxe - melon and pear - can't wait to try them.

Gas bill not as much as I expected - will need to be sitting down for the electricity - due to circumstances you won't believe is going to be huge.
  • bexster1975
    Options
    Ha ha ha! I wish I hated comittment as much! I would have left myjob years ago! :D

Please report back on ice cream/sorbet. I have had their ice cream before ( tiramisu flavour) and it was lovely!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure