MSE News: Co-op hit by customer service backlash in MSE energy poll

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
23 replies 3K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Co-op Energy has drastically fallen down the customer services rankings over the last six months...
Read the full story:

Co-op hit by customer service backlash in MSE energy poll

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• missis_ambermissis_amber Forumite
    89 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I switched away from Coop because I couldn't access my statements or bills online. Could never get through to a Customer Service Advisor and when I finally did he just started telling me that he was a Coop customer too and had not received a bill for six months! No responses to emails or tweets either. Finally received paper bills but they all had £0 as my payment :s
    I then had to chase Coop and get the Ombudsman involved before they returned money that they owed me. They might be cheaper but please do ask yourself if you need the added headache from Coop and their poor customer service.
  • RadionotmeRadionotme Forumite
    124 Posts
    Recently switched to Co-op but they've mucked it up and only switched the electricity, not gas. I put in a support ticket and haven't even got an acknowledgement from them. Not impressed so far.
  • footyguyfootyguy Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    I have to question the reliability of your poll

I see Ebico placed in #2 position, yet SSE mid-table in #8
    But Customer Service & billing functions for Ebico are fullfilled by SSE

There's also up to 5% variation in Sainsburys & British Gas ... but they are the same supplier as MSE Martin recently said on TV.

Perhaps 5% is within margin of error of your poll, but if 26% (as in the case of Ebico & SSE) is too, then the poll is pretty meaningless.
  • fat-puddingfat-pudding Forumite
    161 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Oh! How do you rate them. I'd love to add my feedback.
  • Here is a quote from the 'story' in the original post -

A spokesperson from Co-op Energy says: "We are acutely aware that our normally high customer service standards have slipped over the past few months as we implemented a new customer service and billing system.

We are very sorry to any of our customers that have been inconvenienced and are working incredibly hard to put things right and provide the levels of service our customers deserve. This new system has been put in place to support a continuation of our rapid growth over the past four years."

I fear that the most likely effect of the new system is to create a very quick termination of all further growth!

The Co-op's problems are in a different league from the usual low levels of customer service in the industry, and I wish MSE would find a way to let us know just how serious their problems are. It would be especially interesting to know how much scrutiny and pressure the industry regulators are putting the company under. Why are they still being allowed to recruit new customers?
    mad mocs - the pavement worrier
  • bellandbottlebellandbottle Forumite
    61 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I totally agree with the post above, this whole saga has gone far beyond anything I have experienced before.

I have tried using the MSE email address posted by Dan L, but it has made absolutely no difference to communications - total silence.

I am very reluctant to move away whilst I am still "half way" into transferring to the Co-op, but I think MSE has to be more proactive now.
  • edited 9 June 2015 at 11:52AM
    MSE_Dan_LMSE_Dan_L MSE Staff
    655 Posts
    edited 9 June 2015 at 11:52AM
    I totally agree with the post above, this whole saga has gone far beyond anything I have experienced before.

I have tried using the MSE email address posted by Dan L, but it has made absolutely no difference to communications - total silence.

I am very reluctant to move away whilst I am still "half way" into transferring to the Co-op, but I think MSE has to be more proactive now.

That's frustrating to hear - Co-op Energy had assured us that it would be responding to that mailbox as a priority. We'll continue to put pressure on it to improve and highlight the issues which we're hearing about - we don't have a customer service contract with it, so we can't make it take the changes needed.

Alternatively to take this further, you may wish to consider making a formal complaint to Co-op Energy about the handling of your switch. You can do so with it directly, or via Resolver (a free site which MoneySavingExpert works with).
    http://www.resolver.co.uk/companies/co-operative-complaints#Dual+Fuel?utm_source=MSE&utm_medium=table&utm_term=energy&utm_campaign=Club

For more information on our partnership with Resolver, you might be interested to take a look at the link below.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/resolver
  • MSE_Dan_LMSE_Dan_L MSE Staff
    655 Posts
    Oh! How do you rate them. I'd love to add my feedback.

Sorry fat-pudding, this poll has now closed. But we'll be running another late in the year which we'll highlight in the weekly email.
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I knew, as a customer, that Co-op were in trouble but to come lower in MSE's straw poll than nPower must be a catastrophe.

It seems to me that the Co-op had not properly tested its new system before going live and demonstrates utter contempt for its customers. Will any heads roll for this debacle?

Co-op - we don't want more meaningless platitudes, we want action to put things right.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • It seems to me that the Co-op had not properly tested its new system before going live and demonstrates utter contempt for its customers. Will any heads roll for this debacle?

Co-op - we don't want more meaningless platitudes, we want action to put things right.
    I agree that the new system must not have been properly tested and the next question, therefore, is 'why haven't they reverted to the previous system?'

I have a horrible feeling that the previous system has been lost, and customer records have gone with it. Co-op are not denying that they have a problem but, assuming that they are using IT professionals, there has surely been enough time to produce at least a temporary solution to the problem? An email to each of their customers would be quite a good move (if they still have their customers' email addresses....).

If Co-op has been let down by its IT people, then it is possible that the whole situation is mired in a legal/financial wrangle.
    mad mocs - the pavement worrier
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals