Marriage allowance open for registration?

Options
Not strictly benefits or tax credit related I know, but this has come up in this forum before (apologies for the DM link- adjust your 'outrage' dial before clicking!) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3112968/Thousands-miss-marriage-tax-fiasco-Elderly-low-income-families-unable-claim-200-perk-HMRC-computer-disaster.html

I was registered to hear more information but wasn't infomed the verify process was open. We're lucky we have a passport and modern driving license - I feel for those that don't. Or worse, those who are not computer literate, and are beginning to find accessing government services difficult.

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I thought you could apply by phone according to MSE

http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=marriage+allowance+apply+by+phone&d=54048865324959348&mkt=en-GB&setlang=en-GB&w=pIrAQdm5QeelGRoAp6cbPQN-L20eksMh

Not sure why the link is broken to the MSE "income" at top of this page then select "marriage allowance" - this is the cache page which states If you don't have these forms of ID, you can apply by phone on 0300 200 3300.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • giddypenguin
    giddypenguin Posts: 808 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, but predictably people are struggling to talk to someone on the phone.
  • billywilly
    billywilly Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    Not strictly benefits or tax credit related I know, but this has come up in this forum before (apologies for the DM link- adjust your 'outrage' dial before clicking!) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3112968/Thousands-miss-marriage-tax-fiasco-Elderly-low-income-families-unable-claim-200-perk-HMRC-computer-disaster.html

I was registered to hear more information but wasn't infomed the verify process was open. We're lucky we have a passport and modern driving license - I feel for those that don't. Or worse, those who are not computer literate, and are beginning to find accessing government services difficult.

Neither of us has the 'modern licence' - mine is a paper one (issued in 1978) and my wife's paper one ran out when she was 70 last year, and she has not asked for a new one, despite her continuing to drive - (uummm
    must do something about that)
    Neither of us has ever had a passport.
    We don't use credit cards
    We don't have any bank loans - never have had.
    We only have a small mortgage from our family trust.
    My wife wouldn't know how to switch a computer on.
    Neither of us have mobile phones

God help us!!!
  • evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 June 2015 at 1:37PM
    Options
    billywilly wrote: »
    Neither of us has the 'modern licence' - mine is a paper one (issued in 1978) and my wife's paper one ran out when she was 70 last year, and she has not asked for a new one, despite her continuing to drive - (uummm
    must do something about that)

God help us!!!

You really should remember your previous stories...
    Surprisingly I did just that way back in 1996. I had a £3500 debt on a credit card and just under £4000 overdraft. My bank - Lloyds - agreed that because I was unwell and would probably never work again (with no savings or assets, they were all in my wife's name) they wrote the whole lot off. They did however ask me to contact them if I won the lottery in the future.
  • billywilly
    Options
    evenasus wrote: »

yes 1996 - 19 years ago!!!!

I doubt that that would be acceptable evidence.
  • billywilly
    Options
    evenasus wrote: »

yes 1996 - 19 years ago!!!!

I doubt that that would be acceptable evidence.

HMRC are only interested in loans and credit cards that would show up on a credit reference file - ie, within the past 6 years.

For the same reason that they would not accept the paper licence, they want an up to date photo card one or a passport that has been issued within the last 10 years.
  • billywilly
    Options
    It made the front page of the Mail this morning, but I can't understand what the problem is.

Even if it takes until next February to get the new code numbers out, people will still get it back dated to the 6th April 2015.

And let's be honest £200 isn't a lot of money, you are no worse off today than you would have been had it not been offered in 2014. Maybe the answer is for the government to never offer anything in advance, but just do it when they can and it would be a lovely surprise for you.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Neither of us has the 'modern licence' - mine is a paper one (issued in 1978) and my wife's paper one ran out when she was 70 last year, and she has not asked for a new one, despite her continuing to drive -
    (uummm must do something about that)

God help us!!!

Your wife is breaking the law, driving without a valid driving licence.

You should be careful what you post on an open forum.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • billywilly
    edited 6 June 2015 at 7:19PM
    Options
    Your wife is breaking the law, driving without a valid driving licence.

You should be careful what you post on an open forum.

I realise she is. But whilst she may not have one, she is still entitled to drive isn't she? Hope so as the insurance may be invalid too.
    Methinks I will check it out with the local police in the morning.

PS, just had a look on the DVLA website.

If she had a licence up to her 70th, that it wasn't suspended then she can continue to drive whilst waiting for the new licence. You can do this for up to 1 year.

I have the from here and a photo so best get it in the post in the morning - applying for a change of address as that costs nothing. Otherwise it is £20.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I realise she is. But whilst she may not have one, she is still entitled to drive isn't she? Hope so as the insurance may be invalid too.
    Methinks I will check it out with the local police in the morning.

PS, just had a look on the DVLA website.

If she had a licence up to her 70th, that it wasn't suspended then she can continue to drive whilst waiting for the new licence. You can do this for up to 1 year.

I have the from here and a photo so best get it in the post in the morning - applying for a change of address as that costs nothing. Otherwise it is £20.

No valid driving licence = no valid insurance, i.e if she has an accident tomorrow and cannot produce a valid driving licence, the insurance is also invalid.

I believe once you've reached 70 years of age, you may also have to pass a medical every 3 years, subsequently.

http://www.yourdrivinglicence.co.uk/what-happens-if-driving-licence-has-expired.html

Note :-

Renewing a driving licence that has been expired for some time

"If more than two years has passed since your driving licence expired, you may be made to retake your driving test in order to get a new licence. This is especially the case if your licence has expired due to age (driving licences need to be renewed when you reach seventy years of age) or for medical reasons. For these, you may also have to pass a medical. In other cases, you can simply apply for a new licence without problem, although the DVLA will often want to know why your licence has been expired for so long."

"It is important to know when your driving licence expiry date is (or was), as it is illegal to drive without a valid licence. Although the DVLA may send renewal reminders prior to the expiry date, it is your responsibility to make sure that your licence is up-to-date, including getting renewal forms if necessary. Driving without a valid driving licence can result in a fine of up to £1,000, and between three and six penalty points on your licence. Your car can also be seized and crushed."

Sorry to hijack OP's thread.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business