Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• Loopy1
    Loopy1 Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    cjs180uk wrote: »
    Hello people just looking for some information we made our application for the tax allowance earlier in the year and they have agreed that we are entitled to it and have confirmed it will be backdated to 2015. The amendment to my tax allowance has been done but we have had no information or seen any payment for the backdated allowance that they stated would be paid by cheque within a few weeks. Has anyone had a similar issue or has any idea how long this process takes to complete. Any information would be helpful thanks

Hiya I just came on to post the same thing. I have had my tax code changed and informed I have 2 years backpay...just wondering how long it takes but you appear to have answered my question!
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    How have you been informed and what exactly do you mean by "2 years backpay"?
  • Loopy1
    Loopy1 Posts: 223 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2017 at 5:55PM
    Options
    Apologies incorret terminology what I meant to say is I am due marriage tax allowance from 2015-16 and 2016-17. I realised I could claim marriage tax allowance in September and was successful, my tax code for this year has just changed.

Online it shows that I have applied for the allowance for the two previous years but as my financial circumstances have not changed in those years there should be no reason why I should not receive it, in cheque form (approx £400)

I am just wondering how long it takes to receive those cheques but from what I have read I can't imagine they will rush to send these out.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Dazed_and_confused Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    edited 14 October 2017 at 6:26PM
    Options
    Online it shows that I have applied for the allowance for the two previous years

Someone who applies for marriage allowance can only ever pay more tax (or the same) but never less as a result of applying.

It would be your spouse who is entitled to any refund which might be due. They need to check their position. You might have extra tax pay but it all depends on your income in those years and sometimes you will pay a bit but your spouse gets a bigger refund so as a couple you are better off overall.
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Loopy1 wrote: »
    Apologies incorret terminology what I meant to say is I am due marriage tax allowance from 2015-16 and 2016-17. I realised I could claim marriage tax allowance in September and was successful, my tax code for this year has just changed.

Online it shows that I have applied for the allowance for the two previous years but as my financial circumstances have not changed in those years there should be no reason why I should not receive it, in cheque form (approx £400)

I am just wondering how long it takes to receive those cheques but from what I have read I can't imagine they will rush to send these out.

If it shows that 'YOU' applied for the Marriage Allowance transfer, that suggests that YOU have given your spouse the 10% of your allowance to them for those years.

If that is correct then your spouse can log into their online tax account and check for any tax calculations, or, check their income tax position for the 2 years previous to generate a calculation and refund.

If what you mean is that you can see that the transfer has been made in your favour but you have not yet received the transfer then you can log in online, go to check your income tax, review the 2015/16 and 2016/17 years and if necessary make a claim.

So, can you confirm what the account shows. Have you transferred the allowance to your spouse or is it the other way around?

Secondly, did you complete a tax return for either of those years?
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whilst they are changing the tax codes very quickly it seems to be taking several weeks to pay back previous years. From previous posts it seems to have taken a minimum of 5 weeks but that seems to be slipping out further now.
  • cjs180uk
    Options
    Hi does anyone know how long it takes to receive the backdated payments for this allowance. Our application was accepted some months ago and we had a confirmation to say we would receive the backdated payments to 2015. My tax code was adjusted quite quickly for the present year and we are seeing the benefit from that but the promised back payment from 2015 when this started has not materialised. We were told that we would receive a cheque for the previous 2 years back payments but nothing so far. Is there any way I can contact them to chase this up or is it just a process and we will have to wait until our claim comes to the top of the pile for processing. If anyone has any other information please let me know. Thank you
  • GrantWoody75
    Options
    Has anyone else lost out from doing this?

My wife works part-time and earns £10,800 a year. I earn £37,000 a year.

I've received a repayment of £429 which I'm told is for 2015/16 and 2016/17.

My wife has now received a demand for £435 for 2015/16 and 2016/17.

Did I get this badly wrong or has there been a mistake?

Spent nearly an hour on the phone to the tax office without getting anywhere. My wife now has to phone as well so they can look at her file.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 October 2017 at 5:07PM
    Options
    Has anyone else lost out from doing this?
    My wife works part-time and earns £10,800 a year. I earn £37,000 a year.
    I've received a repayment of £429 which I'm told is for 2015/16 and 2016/17.
    My wife has now received a demand for £435 for 2015/16 and 2016/17.
    Did I get this badly wrong or has there been a mistake?
    Spent nearly an hour on the phone to the tax office without getting anywhere. My wife now has to phone as well so they can look at her file.
    It depends on your incomes and allowances for each tax year separately. The maximum rebate possible for the years 2015/16 & 2016/17 should be £432.

In the current year, if your wife's income is £10,800 and her allowances have been reduced (10% transferred to you) by £1,150 to £10,350 then there would be an extra tax liability for her of 20% of £450 (£10,800 - £10,350) = £90

You need to do similar calculations for 2015/16 and 2016/17 but, on the face of it, the demand from your wife seems excessive. It seems likely there are other factors involved here.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Assuming your wife's income was £10800 for all years

2015/16 allowance 10600 less 10% = 9540
    income 10800 - 9540 = 1260 @ 20% = 250 tax due

Did your wife pay any tax 2015/16 as her income was over the personal allowance.? If she did then deduct that from the tax due of £250.

2016/17 allowance 11000 less 10% 1100 = 9900
    income 10800 - 9900 = 900 @20% = 180

total due £250 + £180 = £430
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family