PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House prices around the UK

Options

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    You buy a house as a home to live in. I can't see the point of having to work so many hours having to pay for it that you're having less life now. Just so that you'll be able to say in 25yrs i'll make a bigger profit.

It's little different from paying a decent chunk of your earnings into a pension, with the bonus of living somewhere pleasant as well.
  • Bart1
    Bart1 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    I'm looking to buy in Lowestoft Suffolk...... Budget of £80G which will buy me a 2/3 bed terrace
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd give Rotherham a wide berth.

The east coast of Yorkshire is relatively cheap. Scarborough, Whitby, Bridlington. Nice scenery on the coast and inland on the Yorkshire Moors and Wolds.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hcb42 wrote: »
    Of all the places in the UK, why did you pick Rotherham? :P

I didn't 'choose' Rotherham.....it's just that I was browsing Taylor Wimpey's website and saw that mansion for a ridiculously low price compared to around here.

Those house £184,000 and £210,000 in Rotherham would cost at least £650,000 around the Guildford area.

The prices make it enticing. I mean look at those houses - they are very nice.

I have no idea what Rotherham is like - hence why I asked.

Sounds like it's bad - for whatever reasons.

To be honest - I'd rather pay the prices for those mansions in Rotherham, than the houses people have linked to in Coventry and Liverpool.....to be frank most of those houses look nasty. And I'm not sure Liverpool and Coventry are much better (if at all) than Rotherham?

Just looked - top 10 'crap towns' on Google - Coventry = 7th....

though I'm not surely how seriously I can take that list.
  • ManuelG
    ManuelG Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dburford9 wrote: »

Honoured ;)

All cities have good and bad areas... much as London, in fact (which seems to magnify it!). Was kind of relieved the office of the company I joined was in a decent area of London, as I just set up within walking distance. Now imagine if that had been one of the classier bits...

Depends what you want from a place tbh. As mentioned above by someone, houses are usually cheap for a reason, but it's finding those areas that are actually decent within the flotsam and jetsam that will get you the 'bargain'.
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dburford9 wrote: »
    I didn't 'choose' Rotherham.....it's just that I was browsing Taylor Wimpey's website and saw that mansion for a ridiculously low price compared to around here.

Those house £184,000 and £210,000 in Rotherham would cost at least £650,000 around the Guildford area.

The prices make it enticing. I mean look at those houses - they are very nice.

I have no idea what Rotherham is like - hence why I asked.

Sounds like it's bad - for whatever reasons.

To be honest - I'd rather pay the prices for those mansions in Rotherham, than the houses people have linked to in Coventry and Liverpool.....to be frank most of those houses look nasty. And I'm not sure Liverpool and Coventry are much better (if at all) than Rotherham?

though I'm not surely how seriously I can take that list.
    In Guildford Borough
    https://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/find-your-home/england/surrey/guildford/tongham-copse
  • Kat88
    Kat88 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely nothing wrong with Rotherham. Good and bad everywhere and plenty of nice places in Rotherham, not far from city of Sheffield and commutable to Leeds/Manchester. I have to say being from the South originally and having many friends who have bought houses down there (including one in Guildford) i can't understand the house prices and why people buy there. Having moved to Yorkshire I can purchase a house in a nice area that I can actually afford, rather than a 1 bed flat and it allows me to grow into it. Access to the countryside and Peak District coupled with slightly cheaper house prices, personally I wouldn't chose anywhere else.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I googled murder rates too....

ok...

South Yorkshire (where Rotherham is) is the 2nd worst area in England/Wales for getting murdered.

Maybe I don't want to buy a mansion in Rotherham for £183,000 as I might get shot.
  • sebadee
    sebadee Posts: 71 Forumite
    edited 31 May 2015 at 8:47PM
    Options
    I am in the same position as you. I am tech worker and I work from home, so as long as my internet is good, then all is good for work. The only other thing is that I occasionally need to travel to the airport (Heathrow) or London (less, but every now and then).

We went west. There was no way we could afford to stay in Surrey. I am on a pretty good wage, yet we were well priced out. We could have gone silly and borrowed a lot of money, but we wanted to stick to the budget we have of 200 to 230k max as I won't get lulled into borrowing more then we are comfortable with, so we stress tested ourselves first. 250k would have got us a low par ex council house in a not so good area where I am now. Now that might sound a bit snobby, but I want to live somewhere nice to bring up my kids.

We eventually settled on just outside Chippenham. You have some beautiful countryside, really good schools and I can hit the M4 and get to the airport in just over an hour. Another little overlooked fact with down that way - train line electrication making trains into London paddington a lot quicker and more comfortable (hitachi bullet trains).

This is the cheapest 3 bed in the area where I currently rent. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52463705.html - by no means a bad house, but I can't bring myself to pay 290k for that, especially when I don't have to. That house has gone up by 130k in nine years.

The only bummer is my kid will need to be pulled out of school, but he will get over it pretty quick.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure