PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Rental Agents ridiculous!

Options

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    How would an inventory prevent this?!

Is it magical??

The arbitration process needs something independent to base their judgement on, otherwise they have to give both parties the benefit of the doubt.

Yes it does cost money. I pay for check-in, the tenant pays for check-out, and if no dispute occurs, then it is simply an insurance premium we paid, which feels like an extra expense.

The letting agent commission is an even bigger expense, but they keep both sides honest by having a third party that makes the process visible by having proper records. Late rent is shown on the statement in black and white.

It's like a lock, if nobody steals, then we don't need to fit locks and carry a key around. Then Yale would be out of business.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    The arbitration process needs something independent to base their judgement on, otherwise they have to give both parties the benefit of the doubt.

Yes it does cost money. I pay for check-in, the tenant pays for check-out, and if no dispute occurs, then it is simply an insurance premium we paid, which feels like an extra expense.

The letting agent commission is an even bigger expense, but they keep both sides honest by having a third party that makes the process visible by having proper records. Late rent is shown on the statement in black and white.

It's like a lock, if nobody steals, then we don't need to fit locks and carry a key around. Then Yale would be out of business.

No offence, but your wrong.

The agent works for the LL, not the tenant. - they are by no means required.

The inventory would never prevent fly tipping. I don't understand the connection in the slightest.

The inventory is most definetly for the LLs benefit. The LL must prove damages.

None of the above is even debateble.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm still waiting to find out what constitutes a professional clean and how such a clean could possibly cost £500.
  • pickles13
    pickles13 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    On our last rental, the landlord (who was THE cowboy of all landlords) caused us no end of grief. She tried to charge us for all sorts of total rubbish, including a broken freezer drawer that the inventory guy checked in front of me and was fine, and noted as such. One of our neighbours was moving out at the same time as us and found out that we had the same landlord (EA's slip of the tongue), and we stayed in touch and realised that she was trying to charge us for exactly the same things and amounts. We both disputed it and she didn't get a penny.

By total contrast, our current landlord (who works for the EA) is nothing short of amazing. Nothing is too much trouble for him, any issues get sorted asap. He came over this week to bring 5 couples to view the house (we have just bought a house after living here for 2.5 years), and he emailed after to say that the house is in excellent condition and that we will be getting all of our deposit back, despite the check out not being done for another 3 weeks.

So I have experienced totally opposite landlords. Thinking about it, I have rented two other properties previously, and have never had any money taken from a deposit, so in my experience, it does seem to be the minority of landlords that play these games unnecessarily.
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 May 2015 at 1:42PM
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    No offence, but your wrong.

The agent works for the LL, not the tenant. - they are by no means required.

The inventory would never prevent fly tipping. I don't understand the connection in the slightest.

The inventory is most definetly for the LLs benefit. The LL must prove damages.

None of the above is even debateble.

The landlord pays the letting agent, so in that sense the agent works for the landlord. The paper trail created by and held by the agent holds both sides to account.

The neighbour stormed in, and caught the tenants handing over the keys, and forced them to bring back the rubbish, and they left them on my drive. Fortunately the inventory clerk turned up soon after, so we had proof by witness and pictures. there were other things like wrecked furniture from an ultra over weight father the tenants brought in, and night soiled mattress, etc.

The tenant's check-out inventory can prove no damage was done in cases of false claims.
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to find out what constitutes a professional clean and how such a clean could possibly cost £500.

In one case, a team of five or more East Europeans lead by a Jewish guy, who was recommended by the letting agent, worked most of a day, on a 4 bed semi. All the furnitures were polished, and the carpets were shampooed. All the cobwebs were cleared, and the chandeliers cleaned.

I much prefer a Japanese team from before, who even sent the curtains and bed linen away to be washed. The curtains came back a couple of days later. For some strange reason, they like to put silver foil under the feet of furniture. I am guessing they want the polish to dry so it doesn't get on the carpet.
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pickles13 wrote: »
    So I have experienced totally opposite landlords. Thinking about it, I have rented two other properties previously, and have never had any money taken from a deposit, so in my experience, it does seem to be the minority of landlords that play these games unnecessarily.

When a good landlord and a good tenant hook up, it's paradise for both sides, so the tenant doesn't want to leave, and why would the landlord want to throw the tenant out?

Sadly, it also means the house is occupied, LONG TERM, by happy tenants, and you can't rent it.
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Please explain to me what constitutes a professional clean...

"Professional - engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur."

A professional cleaner is someone who does cleaning for a living, and, from that, you might expect that they would clean a property to a certain standard (because, if they didn't, they would soon be out of work).

It doesn't guarantee anything, obviously, but it does imply that you'd get a decent level of cleaning.

Anyway, you asked for a definition and there it is (it was quite easy to find on Google by the way). Hope that helps.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »
    The landlord pays the letting agent, so in that sense the agent works for the landlord. The paper trail created by and held by the agent holds both sides to account.

The neighbour stormed in, and caught the tenants handing over the keys, and forced them to bring back the rubbish, and they left them on my drive. Fortunately the inventory clerk turned up soon after, so we had proof by witness and pictures. there were other things like wrecked furniture from an ultra over weight father the tenants brought in, and night soiled mattress, etc.

The tenant's check-out inventory can prove no damage was done in cases of false claims.

The paper trail will only prove that rent was paid? Think your clutching at straws, the tenants own bank statement would show this.

So it was luck? If the neighbour had been10 minutes earlier the tenants would've dumped elsewhere and later, they wouldn't even be there.

The neighbour should've reported them to the council. Don't know how he 'forced' them?

The tenant rarely is allowed at the check out, and it is rarely dual signed. In that sense the tenant is better with neither a check in or a check out.

The tenant can get the same proof with a 30p newspaper and a camera phone. - saving £74.70 ...

Hmm. Think I'll leave it there. I now have a good idea of your experience and knowledge. Good day sir/madam
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Vectis wrote: »
    "Professional - engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur."

A professional cleaner is someone who does cleaning for a living, and, from that, you might expect that they would clean a property to a certain standard (because, if they didn't, they would soon be out of work).

It doesn't guarantee anything, obviously, but it does imply that you'd get a decent level of cleaning.

Anyway, you asked for a definition and there it is (it was quite easy to find on Google by the way). Hope that helps.

No that doesn't help at all. I want to know what professional standards these so-called professional cleaners adhere to and what qualifications they have that makes them more capable of cleaning than me. Is one required to clock up a certain number of hours using a vacuum cleaner in the same way a pilot needs to clock up flight time?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport