PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rental Agents ridiculous!

Options
Me and my partner recently moved out of the flat we rented. When we moved out, we made sure the flat was clean and tidy, we filled any holes we had made in the walls and made sure it was in good condition.

I have received an email from the contact at the rental company of the following, after initially emailing me to state there were some 'discrepancy's' in the flat;

"Sorry that this isn’t the news you were expecting to hear.

My understanding is that the property has been left quite dirty, specifically the kitchen and bathroom.

Whilst the inventory clerk will take into consideration general wear and tear for the time you have been occupying the property. It is believed that the cleanliness of the property together with the general scrapes and scuffs to the walls is slightly excessive.

I apologies again that this isn’t the news you were hoping to hear, this is never easy to explain.

I will keep you posted following the quote received."

Considering the flat was always kept in good condition, I feel that this is a completely unfair statement. I have been sent a check out inventory and feel that the rental agent is trying to keep all the money they can!

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thank you!

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    1) Your contract is with the landlord, not the letting agency.

2) How does the check-out report compare with the check-in inventory?

3) Was the property cleaner at the start of the tenancy compared with when you moved out?
  • moliver_93
    moliver_93 Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    1) Your contract is with the landlord, not the letting agency.

2) How does the check-out report compare with the check-in inventory?

3) Was the property cleaner at the start of the tenancy compared with when you moved out?

Hi,

They have picked up on things I would personally class as wear and tear, e.g. scuff marks on walls, excessive dust. The property was of exactly the same cleanliness, if anything it is cleaner now and doesn't smell of smoke as it did at the start of the agreement!

Thank you.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you think any deductions proposed are unjustified just challenge them with whichever scheme is protecting your deposit.

Assuming you're in England or Wales see Deposits for more information.

I'm moving out of my rental property next month and I'm curious about what deductions they are going to try and make.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    If there's excessive dust then you can't have done a very good job of cleaning! Unless they're making that up/exaggerating?
    Did you take photos when you left to show the condition you left it in?
  • moliver_93
    Options
    If there's excessive dust then you can't have done a very good job of cleaning! Unless they're making that up/exaggerating?
    Did you take photos when you left to show the condition you left it in?

We hoovered throughout and they are definitely exaggerating, I am OCD when it comes to cleaning!

I did take some photos thankfully!
  • shiney85
    shiney85 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    I sympathise! When we left our last rental property I cleaned thoroughly, to be told the kitchen cupboards were sticky (as I had wiped them all down with kitchen spray that was a surprise) and the cooker hadn't been cleaned as they would have liked, we had a receipt for getting it done professionally but they still insisted on taking £60. We weren't happy but it was a small amount in the grand scheme of things and we just wanted to get out.

I genuinely think landlords try their hardest to keep as much of the deposit as possible, in your case hopefully it might be a small amount, if not I would definitely question their claims and use your photographic evidence.
  • moliver_93
    Options
    shiney85 wrote: »
    I sympathise! When we left our last rental property I cleaned thoroughly, to be told the kitchen cupboards were sticky (as I had wiped them all down with kitchen spray that was a surprise) and the cooker hadn't been cleaned as they would have liked, we had a receipt for getting it done professionally but they still insisted on taking £60. We weren't happy but it was a small amount in the grand scheme of things and we just wanted to get out.

I genuinely think landlords try their hardest to keep as much of the deposit as possible, in your case hopefully it might be a small amount, if not I would definitely question their claims and use your photographic evidence.

Thanks so much for your help! It just seems ridiculous, considering we have been good tenants who have never kicked up a fuss/caused any problems. I agree, I think if its up to £100 I will accept it and move on. Thanks again!
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They have picked up on things I would personally class as wear and tear, e.g. scuff marks on walls, excessive dust.

Those things are not wear and tear, they are damage and inadequate cleaning.
    The property was of exactly the same cleanliness, if anything it is cleaner now and doesn't smell of smoke as it did at the start of the agreement!

Did the checkin inventory state the scuff marks and excessive dust at checkin?
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is why there is an inventory clerk.

I had a change over four years ago. I said to the old tenant that it was professionally cleaned when she moved in, but she insists that she will do a good job. As it turns out, she had a regular cleaner do a simple once over. I had to defrost the freezer, undo an earth pin she snapped in a power socket, etc. The new tenant wanted a professional clean, which I had to pay £500 for.

There should be a check-in and a check-out inventory.

If there isn't, enjoy hell.
  • lynsayjane
    lynsayjane Posts: 3,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    shiney85 wrote: »

As a landlord myself I find this rather insulting. SOME landlords may be that way but as usual the minority give a bad name to the majority. People are quick to complain and slow to compliment.

OP, I'm glad you took photos, that was going to be my first question. I'd also ask the agent to see what photos they have as evidence (they should have as they'll need to supply to the deposit agency to withhold if you argue). Playing devils advocate there may be something you missed? The pics should clear up precisely what issues they have.
    I'd not regard scuffs on the wall as being wear and tear, especially if they were bad enough to require redecoration. Excess dust; well unless I walked into a complete pig sty I'd not be withholding deposit for that. At my change in tenants I fully expect the property not to be up to the standard that I have at home and I went prepared to give it all a clean before passing off to the next tenant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure