Ideas for a UK short break

Options
Looking for ideas for a short break in the UK!
Have managed to secure a couple of days off work (it's a Sun - Weds in mid July) & whilst we originally fancied somewhere like Jersey but I don't think it will be feasible this time in the timescales/budget so looking for new ideas of places to go in the UK. Travelling from Midlands so excluding the remote corners of the country on this occasion due to timescales - unless we can do it by train/plane at a reasonable price!

We like: museums, interesting/unusual places, castles & cathedrals, history, tourist attractions, boats/planes/trains, exploring, wildlife etc
Dislike: drinking/nightlife, places with loads of kids (eg theme parks)

The budget is about £450 for 2 people which sounds a lot but really isn't when you think of travel, accommodation, food, entrance fees etc!

Not London (love London but been many times!) but will consider all sorts of other places - just looking for ideas really about places you've been & enjoyed, that perhaps we've not thought of!

(already done Oxford, Cambridge, York, Liverpool & several other major/popular cities so looking for new ideas!)

Comments

• whatmichaelsays
    whatmichaelsays Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    goggle wrote: »
    Looking for ideas for a short break in the UK!
    Have managed to secure a couple of days off work (it's a Sun - Weds in mid July) & whilst we originally fancied somewhere like Jersey but I don't think it will be feasible this time in the timescales/budget so looking for new ideas of places to go in the UK. Travelling from Midlands so excluding the remote corners of the country on this occasion due to timescales - unless we can do it by train/plane at a reasonable price!

We like: museums, interesting/unusual places, castles & cathedrals, history, tourist attractions, boats/planes/trains, exploring, wildlife etc
    Dislike: drinking/nightlife, places with loads of kids (eg theme parks)

The budget is about £450 for 2 people which sounds a lot but really isn't when you think of travel, accommodation, food, entrance fees etc!

Not London (love London but been many times!) but will consider all sorts of other places - just looking for ideas really about places you've been & enjoyed, that perhaps we've not thought of!

(already done Oxford, Cambridge, York, Liverpool & several other major/popular cities so looking for new ideas!)

Durham? About 3 hours from Birmingham by rail and seems to tick most of your boxes - Cathedral, picturesque enough town and Beamish not far away.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • goggle
    goggle Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    hmm, Durham is a definite possibility - thanks
    Have been past it when going to Newcastle but never actually explored the city
    Any other suggestions?
  • Lincoln_Imp
    Lincoln_Imp Posts: 2,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have a nice day :)
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    North Wales . Land of Castles here . Mid july enters into the kids holidays when prices go up and kids come out . Caernarfon , Conwy & Llandudno to name a few
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had a lovely mini break in Herefordshire the other week. Hereford is a very interesting historic city, and Ross, Ledbury and Leominster are worth a visit too. We had a lovely long walk by the river at Symonds Yat and visited a couple of National trust properties. Loads to see and do :)
  • Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    Options
    Harrogate is very nice. Whitby is also lovely, but may be crowded in July. The Lake District has so much to see and do and a variety of different accomodations available.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Winchester
    Lincoln
    Salisbury
    Cotswolds
    Worcester/Warwick - depending on which part of the Midlands you live in!
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    How about Shrewsbury? historic market town, short hop to Telford for Ironbridge and the gorge, if you have never been RAF Cosford museum (Telford) is truly astonishing (and free, fills a day easily). A kooky place to stay in Shrewsbury is Portehouse.sy1 but I know it as formerly Mad Jacks, posh B&B rooms over an excellent cocktail bar and restaurant. If that didn't appeal the historic Prince Rupert hotel up the road I have always enjoyed, even offers valet parking. There is plenty of stuff a around Shrewsbury but if that is not enough its not a long drive to Oswestry which has castles and other interests.

I know its not very far away but if you don't have too long, don't waste too much time driving there/back is my advice. Pick a base with stuff you want in reach.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    How about Shrewsbury? historic market town, short hop to Telford for Ironbridge and the gorge, if you have never been RAF Cosford museum (Telford) is truly astonishing (and free, fills a day easily). A kooky place to stay in Shrewsbury is Portehouse.sy1 but I know it as formerly Mad Jacks, posh B&B rooms over an excellent cocktail bar and restaurant. If that didn't appeal the historic Prince Rupert hotel up the road I have always enjoyed, even offers valet parking. There is plenty of stuff a around Shrewsbury but if that is not enough its not a long drive to Oswestry which has castles and other interests.

I know its not very far away but if you don't have too long, don't waste too much time driving there/back is my advice. Pick a base with stuff you want in reach.

Shrewsbury/Ironbridge is a great idea - Oswestry's exceedingly dull.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure