Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Options

Comments

• YogiOdie
    YogiOdie Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys - I have got over the perceived criticism - too sensitive I suppose.

Have looked at the Virgin account and the next hurdle is I live on the Isle of Wight and there is no branch here - the nearest is Southampton across the water and I won't be going there before I depart for Canada.

But I will contact them and see if there is a way to achieve opening the basic account and if I am eligible.

It has struck home now that it is good to have another option to fall back on so I will come up with something.

Appreciate the advice from both.
  • MolesRule
    Options
    Hi any advice on a card suitable for travelling to New Zealand and Samoa, something that I can top up online or via app would be preferred.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MolesRule wrote: »
    Hi any advice on a card suitable for travelling to New Zealand and Samoa, something that I can top up online or via app would be preferred.
    Take more than one...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards

https://loot.io
    Evolution, not revolution
  • ReadySteady_2
    ReadySteady_2 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    MolesRule wrote: »

Virgin Money Essentials, as above.
    Monzo
    Loot.io
    Revolut
  • IndieSinger
    IndieSinger Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all!

No doubt a really basic question, and I'm really sorry! Help very gratefully appreciated.

Going on holiday to Holland in August. Have just downloaded the Revolut app, topped up £250 from my bank account to Revolut and requested a card. All fine and dandy.

What I can't work out is how to - or even if I should - transfer my £250 in my Revolut account into Euros. The app currently says "£250 - €0 - $0".

Do I just leave it like that and anything I spend in Holland gets automatically deducted from my GBP balance? Or do I need to convert that £250 to c. €290 on the app? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!
  • ReadySteady_2
    Options
    Hi all!

No doubt a really basic question, and I'm really sorry! Help very gratefully appreciated.

Going on holiday to Holland in August. Have just downloaded the Revolut app, topped up £250 from my bank account to Revolut and requested a card. All fine and dandy.

What I can't work out is how to - or even if I should - transfer my £250 in my Revolut account into Euros. The app currently says "£250 - €0 - $0".

Do I just leave it like that and anything I spend in Holland gets automatically deducted from my GBP balance? Or do I need to convert that £250 to c. €290 on the app? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!

It will be converted as you spend. But if you think that the Pound is going to weaken before you get there, you have the option to convert your Pounds to Euros. Should be around 295.5€ at the mo.
  • IndieSinger
    Options
    It will be converted as you spend. But if you think that the Pound is going to weaken before you get there, you have the option to convert your Pounds to Euros. Should be around 295.5€ at the mo.

That's all I needed, thank you! When you say I have the option to convert, I can't see how to do that. Or do you mean when I top up from my bank account?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's all I needed, thank you! When you say I have the option to convert, I can't see how to do that. Or do you mean when I top up from my bank account?
    With your GBP balance in front, tap 'exchange'...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • IndieSinger
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    With your GBP balance in front, tap 'exchange'...

FOUND IT! You have to swipe down on the balance. Thank you so much for your help!
  • LidLicker
    LidLicker Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The information in this thread is very helpful. I am looking to get a Prepaid card for the first time soon and I have a few questions if anybody can help?

Going to the USA and Canada in July, looking into getting a Prepaid card, possibly Monzo although open to better suggestions.
    I will more than likely put £1,000 - £1,500 onto the card, which I understand I can use in the majority of stores and ATM's for free.

My main question is when I come home, I dont want to be hit with any charges. I believe if I come home and I have say £200 left on the card, I can withdraw this from an ATM - is this correct?
    And if so, can I then close the account, or does it stay open? And are there any fees for leaving it open?
    I only ask as I see cards from such companies as the post office charge after you have returned from your holiday.

Thank you for any advice given :-)
    Paul
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport