Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Options

Comments

• mdp963
    Options
    Revolut are presently NOT taking on new accounts

The have supposedly set up a waiting list -via their App - but when you enter your Email address ( to be informed as to progress).....You get a message that says

"We are sorry Something has gone wrong Please try again later "

Does anyone have any info on this or as to how to contact / speak to Revolut
  • mdp963
    Options
    We used the Revolut Card ( MasterCard) in an automatic petrol station in Majorca in September 2016

I can see no reason why it should not work at an location that accepts a MasterCard

They do have some rather odd exceptions on their web site but I don't think that toll booths were amongst them
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mdp963 wrote: »
    "We are sorry Something has gone wrong Please try again later "

Does anyone have any info on this or as to how to contact / speak to Revolut
    Try the digital kick - uninstall and reinstall the app.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Dracalbert
    Dracalbert Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 19 November 2016 at 4:20PM
    Options
    Has anyone had any experience with the EasyFX card please. Looks too good to be true which probably means it is!!! I can't find a single review online
    Thank you
  • alfonso
    alfonso Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apologize if this is in the wrong place.
    I have approx 500 euros on a Caxton fx mastercard which I loaded in 2015.
    Not been away this year due to health issues in family and not planing going away in 2017.
    Im now confused on what I should do with the money.
    Is it fine where it is or should I be cashing it back in. ? Not sure if I win or loose doing so?
    TIA
  • eDicky
    Options
    alfonso wrote: »
    Is it fine where it is or should I be cashing it back in. ? Not sure if I win or loose doing so?
    It depends on the rate and what it cost you when you bought the euros, compared to what Caxton will give you back now to redeem your balance. I think you have to check that in your online account or email them.

A better alternative, if it works, would be to open a Revolut account on their smartphone app and try to load the euro balance directly with your CaxtonFX card. Then you can convert to pounds at the perfect interbank rate (weekdays) and withdraw to your bank or spend with the RevolutCard - no fees and you will have something more useful and better value than the Caxton card which you can then discard. I did this successfully with my FairFX euro card; it may not work with the Caxton but it will cost nothing to try. If you do, let us know.
  • alfonso
    alfonso Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks
    I bought my 513 euros at 1.34
    Redemption fee was £1.50
    So returned to bank £425.
  • eDicky
    Options
    alfonso wrote: »
    Thanks
    I bought my 513 euros at 1.34
    Redemption fee was £1.50
    So returned to bank £425.
    That's quite reasonable, and you made a profit, having bought the euros for £383 at that rate. With Revolut you would have got £435 today, no fees, so not much better.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    edited 29 November 2016 at 10:58AM
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    That's quite reasonable, and you made a profit, having bought the euros for £383 at that rate. With Revolut you would have got £435 today, no fees, so not much better.

Just to note that as reported by Business Insider UK Revolut has suspended the issuing of new cards due to the conditions set by its card issuer, Paysafe which found that some Revolut cards had been issued outside of Europe. Specifically, Revolut have stopped operating in countries outside the European Union including the U.S.A.
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/fintech-revolut-issuing-new-cards-delay-europe-international-waiting-list-paysafe-2016-11?r=US&IR=T

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11/17/fintech_startup_revolut_pulls_out_of_several_countries_promises_swift_return/

Edit: In the above The Register link, MSE forum inserts spaces in the middle of "countries". Remove the spaces and the link is good.

Some reports are using stronger terms such as "shocking development" and "customers left in the lurch".
    http://www.readitquik.com/news/fintech/fintech-startup-revolut-shuts-operations-in-several-countries/

According to PYMNTS.COM Revolut is seeking a licence to issue its own cards.
    http://www.pymnts.com/news/payment-methods/2016/revolut-suspension-new-card-issuing-license/
  • eDicky
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    According to PYMNTS.COM Revolut is seeking a licence to issue its own cards.
    http://www.pymnts.com/news/payment-methods/2016/revolut-suspension-new-card-issuing-license/
    This would explain the current waiting list for new applications. Non European applicants were excluded since early this year, so they presumably had to reconcile existing users from other countries.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure