Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Options

Comments

• Qegsboy
    Qegsboy Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Just a quick note to say the Revolut card did not work in New Zealand in April/May 2016 for shopping, it did work in cash machines though. On line support didn't help. Now in Australia and it works fine.
  • Casciana
    Casciana Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 May 2016 at 7:21AM
    Options
    Mudguts, can you load the FairFX prepaid card with your own Euros? The Revolut will do the job but I want it mainly for ATM withdrawals, so will cost more in fees!
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Casciana wrote: »
    Mudguts, can you load the FairFX prepaid card with your own Euros? The Revolut will do the job but I want it mainly for ATM withdrawals, so will cost more in fees!

No...you cannot.
  • christine_crow
    Options
    Are there disadvantages to the Post Office prepaid card with Australian dollars as it is not mentioned as
    a good buy?
  • ath021075
    Options
    Casciana wrote: »
    I used Revolut in Brazil for ATM withdrawals and it did not charge any fee for withdrawals. Their exchange rate was really good. The only issue is that I think they have a monthly limit for withdrawals without charging, I think it is £500.
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    Are there disadvantages to the Post Office prepaid card with Australian dollars as it is not mentioned as
    a good buy?

Forget about it. If you can't get the Clarity or Creation Everyday, try Revolut.
  • real_woodworm
    Options
    I went to Spain last year, and after much research I went with FairFX Euro card. However a few weeks before I left, Supercard appeared, and I was lucky enough to get one of the trial ones. (NB I see it is going main-stream on 7th June)

My experience with FairFX was very good - mainly because I managed to grab a good rate some weeks before I went. My experience with Supercard was also good - excellent exchange rates, although the Visa ones, not the Mastercard ones unfortunately! I got lucky that I managed to clear the balance before I returned so cash-out wasn't an issue.

I have just come back from New York, and because I couldn't get a good rate in time I relied on Supercard, and once again it was fine with good rates.

However I have just found the Asda Currency Card. It offers free ATM withdrawals, a free card (if you go in-store), free additional card, and free cash-out also if you go in-store. Does anybody have any experience or comments on this one??
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    I went to Spain last year, and after much research I went with FairFX Euro card. However a few weeks before I left, Supercard appeared, and I was lucky enough to get one of the trial ones. (NB I see it is going main-stream on 7th June)

My experience with FairFX was very good - mainly because I managed to grab a good rate some weeks before I went. My experience with Supercard was also good - excellent exchange rates, although the Visa ones, not the Mastercard ones unfortunately! I got lucky that I managed to clear the balance before I returned so cash-out wasn't an issue.

I have just come back from New York, and because I couldn't get a good rate in time I relied on Supercard, and once again it was fine with good rates.

However I have just found the Asda Currency Card. It offers free ATM withdrawals, a free card (if you go in-store), free additional card, and free cash-out also if you go in-store. Does anybody have any experience or comments on this one??

Forget about it. Stick with Supercard and Revolut (for Prepaid).
  • vinylmusic
    vinylmusic Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been using Caxton FX (Mastercard) why-use-a-currency-cardcurrency cards for a few years now and found it great. I've used it all over the US and Europe and I doubt if I can get a better rate
    I read about a similar card called WeSwap and applied for one. Their Mastercard arrived recently but so far, still having money available on my Caxton card I haven't yet loaded it to make the experience
    WeSwap works in a different way to Caxton. You are supposedly exchanging with another person in a different country who needs GBP and WeSwap get 1%
    As I write this Caxton sell Euros at 1.2410 and WeSwap at 1.2568 with their 1% already deducted
    I hesitate using WeSwap only because I've no experience of their system or use
    Has anyone tried them already and if so how reliable did you find them?
    IWasLookingBackToSeeIfSheWasLookinBackToSeeIfIWasLookinBackAtHer.....
  • ant431
    ant431 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I am travelling to Hong Kong in August and I'm contemplating on using this card. I was just wondering if anyone has used this in Hong Kong or in an Asian country? Are the rates good when you make a purchase? Is it reliable?

Thanks in advance!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure