We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

ESA Fit Notes

Options
I just received a reminder that my fit note expires at the end of the month and they say I must send a new one by the 2nd of June or my claim will be suspended.

I called my gp and cannot request a new fit note until this one has expired, so have no chance of getting one to them by the 2nd, anyone else have this problem? What happens?

Comments

• sportage1kia
    sportage1kia Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did have this problem once and went to the surgery and explained regarding the DWP, they did issue another fit note with different dates so it coincided with DWP, its a pity they cant contact each other to save time., hope you get a fresh one and send it recorded delivery so you can inform them of the barcode and signiture if not received.
  • Gaz1971
    Gaz1971 Posts: 488 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What GP surgery told me was they cannot issue a new one in advance, they can back date one but not issue one to run from the 1st of June, before the 1st of June.

What does recorded delivery cost? They sent me a freepost envelope to send my new fit note.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gaz1971 wrote: »
    What GP surgery told me was they cannot issue a new one in advance, they can back date one but not issue one to run from the 1st of June, before the 1st of June.

What does recorded delivery cost? They sent me a freepost envelope to send my new fit note.

Don't pay for recorded delivery, just get a 'proof of posting' receipt from the Post Office.
  • Newman2
    Newman2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Jobcentre advised me that there is a ten day carry over period for the notes to cover just this situation so the day before the old one runs out I phone up and request a new one which is done by next day, collect it and post same day so it arrives in time. Alternatively, my jobcentre allows me to scan it in if it is due in a couple of days but you may need an appointment to do this (mine don't)
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    Newman2 wrote: »
    The Jobcentre advised me that there is a ten day carry over period for the notes to cover just this situation so the day before the old one runs out I phone up and request a new one which is done by next day, collect it and post same day so it arrives in time. Alternatively, my jobcentre allows me to scan it in if it is due in a couple of days but you may need an appointment to do this (mine don't)

It is not uncommon for the post to take 10 days once it hits them to reach a decisionmaker.
    At the least, you should phone them when you send in a fit-note, if it's anywhere close to time.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just get them to give you a fitnote starting from today if you are worried, its perfectly acceptable to have overlapping fitnotes, I have had them myself.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Gaz1971
    Gaz1971 Posts: 488 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was told I can't have a new one until old one expires, already had this row on the phone with doctors surgery.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Once you have the fit note in your hand phone the JobCentre and arrange an appointment to drop it in. Explain that it is late and you need to get it there quickly or they may tell you to post it in.
  • paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    edited 27 May 2015 at 8:26PM
    Options
    You need to get a sick note from the day after your current sick note ends. So if it ends on the 31st of may you need a sick line from the 1st of june, And doctors wont give you future dated sick lines.

You can just go into the job centre and get them to scan it into the system and send it to ESA, Just make sure you put your phone number on the top and they will call to say they have it, If worst comes to worst they can issue a same day payment.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You don't need an appointment with a job centre or anyone else. Nor do you need recorded delivery - I sent three in by recorded delivery and all three ended up being lost by the DWP.

Your GPs are correct that they will not issue overlapping fit notes - that is best practice.

You need to send it as soon as you get it; if you let the DWP know they can use discretion as stated above of 10 days in order to get the note by post and onto your file.

Chill out a little. Stressing over literally nothing is not going to help. Just get your fit note on the day its due, post it, and let the DWP know its on the way. That is all you can do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport