We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What do you store your eggs in?

I know there's the debate over fridge/cupboard/counter top egg storage but I was trying to pin it down to actual storage container. I am moving from fridge door storing to counter top.

I am being a bit nosey but hopefully trying to tap into a good idea that will prevent me having to buy a special holder or if I do have to make a purchase then you might be able to help me achieve it cheaply.

I have about a dozen at any time really. Any help would be very much appreciated.
«134

Comments

  • Bettie
    Bettie Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Used to store them in a china chicken but my daughter has it now. I leave mine in the box in the larder. If I haven't used many and the egg man is coming I put the remainder in the fridge holder and give the egg man his box back.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,420 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Not sure I understand the need for a special container, they come in an egg box.
    Stompa
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    In their box, in the fridge.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 4,088 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    in their box on the countertop.
    03/26: OD £1200 600 500, CC £3914 3317, family £3100, loan £5618 5306 5036- total: £13832 12323 12003, mortgage £58,243 £57,766 57114
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Mine don't come in an egg box as I buy from the fruit and veg shop. They take them out of their large trays and into a brown paper bag. It hasn't been an issue because I have holders within the fridge door. If I had egg boxes I wouldn't need a storage container and cetainly wouldn't have felt the need to start a thread about it.

    I'm posting in the hope someone can inspire me to use something other than my mixing bowl... which I need on a daily basis. I really don't want to buy something so ideas would be fab.
  • Nikkisun
    Nikkisun Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    I use a wire fruit bowl like this

    http://www.therange.co.uk/chrome-fruit-bowl-round//the-range/fcp-product/73967

    works perfectly except for bantam eggs which are small enough to fit through the gaps!
    xxx Nikki xxx
  • cutestkids
    cutestkids Posts: 1,670 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    edited 27 May 2015 at 12:04PM
    I saw this in Tesco and thought it a nice idea http://www.tesco.com/direct/ceramic-12-egg-holder-white/601-5252.prd

    Sorry just noticed that you would prefer not to buy something. If we ever get given eggs by a neighbour that are not boxed I'm afraid they end up in my mixing bowl too so not much help.
    1 Sealed Pot Challenge # 1480
    2 Stopped Smoking 28/08/2011
    3 Joined Payment A Day Challenge 3/12/2011
    4 One debt vs 100 days part 15 £579.62/ £579.62New challenge £155.73/£500
    5 Pay off as much as you can in 2013 challenge!£6609.20 / £7500
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    cutestkids wrote: »
    I saw this in Tesco and thought it a nice idea http://www.tesco.com/direct/ceramic-12-egg-holder-white/601-5252.prd

    I've got one of those but in terracotta - it sits on a small shelf which hangs from the same rail as the utensils.
  • AlwaysAllie
    AlwaysAllie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Homepage Hero
    Just in a small wicker type basket that I had hanging around

    AA
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I use an egg skelter, but if you don't want to buy anything, haven't you got any fruit bowls you could store them in?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.