time to renew my tv licence ??

Options
Hi I need some advice here as I own a lot of houses that we rent out. I we keep getting letters for the tv people and we dont bother with them due to the houses being empty. But yesterday I was called by the tv people to renew my tv licence as we pay whole year and its going to be due on Monday I think she said. Here is the thing we have 2 children who don't watch tv as they are only 2 and 5. They watch net flicks and prime cartoons and my wife NEVER watches the tv shes more into a good read and has been like this for well since we met.

I am away alot due to our company and I don't get to watch anything when its on the tv its all ways been through catch up etc. Now the girl I spoke to was very rude from the onset and asked if I had a tv. I said yes I do we have 4.

She then stated i need a tv licence and if I didn't buy one today I would be unlicensed on monday and they would fine me. I stated that yes I was going to buy one online on sunday but I stated isn't the tv licence just for live broadcasts and she snapped my head off and stated we needed a tv licence if we had a tv.

Now I think this is wrong and I am just looking for advice. Am I going mad here I thought you could watch catch up via broadband etc and not pay the tv people 140 odd quid.

I was going to buy one on Monday but the girls attitude left a allot to be desired so I think I wont now if what I believe to be correct is.

Comments

• jay1181
    jay1181 Posts: 158 Forumite
    edited 23 May 2015 at 5:28PM
    Options
    May I add this is not about the money its just this girl got me as bit mad with her attitude. We would have bought one as we normally do the day before expiry either from the po or the website.

I think what she stated is wrong and if it is they wont be getting any money from us this year thanks to her

and may I add where we are we cant get sky to to trees and we cant get freeview very well the last time I got a guy out we could only get channels that broke up every 2 mins so I gave up that was last year about september. So all we do now is download or watch netflicks via 3 or bt
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    She's wrong, you are right.

You do not need a TV Licence unless you watch or record conventional TV broadcasts, or use Live streaming.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=oneliner-one&utm_term=19-May-15-lt&utm_campaign=utilities&utm_content=1
  • jay1181
    jay1181 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks I have just fired of their form to state we would not be needing one this year.

We bought it before because we just didn't need/want the hassle of them turning up stating i see a tv etc so we just paid up and shut up

. But thanks to the girl yesterday I don't think we will bother anymore unless the Scottish forestry commission decide its time to harvest those conifers and free up the sky signal. ( we are in a gully where the hills are around us and there is forests all over the hills so no signal for sky)

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport