NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

What's the most ridiculous quote you've had?

edited 23 May 2015 at 12:06PM in Is this quote fair?
16 replies 2.5K views
Annie1960Annie1960 Forumite
2.9K Posts
Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 23 May 2015 at 12:06PM in Is this quote fair?
I've just had a quote to fit a new bathroom, using a local building firm. They are part of the local council's 'trusted trader' scheme.

When you add everything up, it comes to £18,500. They have added it up incorrectly to £13,500 + VAT, but even that would be ridiculous in my view.

The bathroom is fairly small, about 2m x 2m, and the only unusual item is that I need the SVP pipe to be moved, as it currently goes downstairs through the kitchen. Apart from that, the quote just involves supplying the new suite (£1,800), and the rest is labour, electrics, flooring, tiling etc.

Just removing the old suite will cost £1,250 + VAT!

The other item I don't understand on the list is 'to supply and install a Hager 12-way dual RCD fuse board', (£820). Does anyone know what this is? Before I purchased the property I had a full electrical inspection, and the only recommendations were 2 new RCDs for the upstairs and downstairs light circuits. The price quoted off the top of my head was around £150 for both.

They have also included a 'suitable IP rated bathroom light'. I have no idea what this is. There are already lights in the bathroom, and I was planning to keep these.

What quotes have you had that you think were over the top?

Replies

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum