Cash question ?

Options
I was thinking the other day about the following scenario. Suppose you lost a twenty pound note out of your wallet, for example the wind blew it away. Could that twenty pound note be traced back to the atm or bank where it was initially withdrawn from along with the account number,date,time etc of the withdrawal using the serial number as a tracker ?

Comments

• paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    simon06 wrote: »
    I was thinking the other day about the following scenario. Suppose you lost a twenty pound note out of your wallet, for example the wind blew it away. Could that twenty pound note be traced back to the atm or bank where it was initially withdrawn from along with the account number,date,time etc of the withdrawal using the serial number as a tracker ?

NO,

If that was the case everyone would be losing money and getting banks to launch investigations lol. If people are careless with money then it's there own fault it's called being negligent and banks dont refund or reward people for that.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    simon06 wrote: »
    Why would anyone want this?
    Cash changes hands not in ATMs only, so this 'tracking' would be pretty much pointless.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What if you'd asked for £20 cashback when you were shopping in Tesco would you tell them you'd lost the money and wanted a replacement.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Every ATM withdrawal I've ever made was mis-sold because the banks failed to do this.

Reimburse all my withdrawals plus 8% interest now!
  • simon06
    simon06 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry misunderstanding on my part. Wouldn't ATMs keep a log of the serial numbers of the notes withdrawn and match them with the account number it was withdrawn from along with date and time etc ? I was just wondering if it was possible to trace a note all the way back to the atm or bank it was last withdrawn from using the serial number ? For example knowing where a particular note had gone say the mint then deposit in account A withdraw from account A deposit in account B withdraw from account B etc etc like a time line and a map ?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, who do you think would record the serial numbers of every note put into an ATM, the security guards working at probably not much more than minimum wage? If it was done, expect massive charges for withdrawing cash, and we'll all know that you're the one to blame.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    Well it could be done automatically, and I don't think it is unreasonable for people to make this assumption on first thoughts.

Of course if you spend a bit longer then it doesn't make any sense.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Even if it could be done, what benefit would this have?

I cannot see any point as a note may change hands hundreds of times before being banked, so it provides no real insight for an awful lot of administration.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What a strange question to ask if you aren't, or considering to be, in the business of forging bank notes.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Most ATMs don't use new notes.

Who should get the job of writing down the several thousand unique unsequenced serial numbers when the machine gets restocked?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure