We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

I want a dog

Options

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘In my home’ board to the ‘Pets & Pet Care’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • LBUK_2
    LBUK_2 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    I'm wondering why you want a dog?

You situation simply doesn't sound suitable to me and to have one waiting around the house all day just so you have someone looking forward to your return is a bit selfish. A dog that is abandoned all day would be happy to see anyone!

I can appreciate your plans to let the dog have access you roam in the garden etc but you're missing the point that a dog doesn't roam a familiar area for fun. They like company, they like new smells, they like adventure.

You could give your dog access to a hundred acres of land but if he is the only creature that lives in it, he's going to stay in the same place and wait the day away for some company to explore it with.

Please think it through.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't recommend leaving a dog outside or with access to outside, for several reasons.

Consideration for your neighbours, as mentioned, is one. A bored dog can be a vocal dog. As can a dog barking at birds flying over or squirrels teasing them on the fence, playing bark-tennis with a dog down the road, reacting to car horns or kids shouting, and so on. If you're not there, you can't manage the stimuli the dog is exposed to, or its reaction to those stimuli. And the more a dog practices unwanted behaviour, like barking, the more ingrained that behaviour becomes.

Barking isn't the only bad habit a dog left outside may get, either. Digging up your garden, refining a prey drive chasing things up and down the garden (which may then become an issue on walks), bored/understimulated dogs can even develop habits like overgrooming or self-harm in the form of chewing at their paws, pulling out fur, gnawing on their tails, and so on. I fostered a kenneled rescue dog once who'd rubbed herself raw from the habit she'd developed of jumping up at the side of her kennel - dogs will keep doing habitual behaviours even if it causes them pain.

Another reason is the dog's safety. Even in a well-contained garden, things can get thrown or blown over the fence, birds can drop items, cats carry them in, and so on. And, as horrible as it is, some malicious people will go as far as throwing harmful objects over a fence (especially if having problems with barking dogs, for example). A dog left alone could choke on a stick, eat something that may upset its stomach or make it ill, damage its teeth chewing on something hard, and so on. Again, if you're not there, you can't control what the dog has access to. A dog run may limit this, but may not stop it completely.

As well as malicious poisonings, there's also the risk of theft. OK, it's publicised through Facebook with quite a few scare tactics, but it can be a real threat. Dogs being stolen to order, for example, especially if you have a small dog easy enough to whisk away. And aside from theft, there's potential escape - weather damage to fencing, a gate left open by accident (yourself, a delivery person, a kid fetching their football, etc.), a determined dog chewing or digging its way out - or evening climbing! My GSD shocked me by climbing our 6' fencing when we first got him, after the second time we had to add a mesh incline on the top a bit like a prison yard to keep him in! And if you had a male dog, sometimes the scent of a !!!!! in heat nearby can drive them to real acts of Houdini-ism to get to her.

That's just a few points to be concerned about - I'd definately be exploring alternative options, such as a dog walker, day care, perhaps a neighbour or relative willing to dog-sit. Maybe even look into taking your dog to work, if you have a casual enough workplace!

Also, after owning two dogs, I personally think they thrive off of company - especially if you're out a good portion of the day. Two little dogs won't cost a fortune, it could be worth considering a pair for company. Obviously it means twice as many costs - though walkers tend to offer discount for taking out two dogs from the same household, for example. I wouldn't recommend two puppies together though - or even one puppy, in your situation. But rescues often struggle to house bonded pairs together, so may snap your arm off for a home despite your situation (providing you made suitable arrangements for care while you're out)
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    as usual the 'sanctimonious' ones have posted. apparently, if you work full time, don't have a mansion with staff able to care for the dog while you are out, haven't acres of grounds for the dog to run around, have unlimited funds for posh food for it and expensive 'pet plans' - you are 'unworthy' and shouldn't own a dog.
    you want a dog and have thought about your situation and solutions to potential problems. Go ahead and contact rescues or look in newsagents windows. Meet potential 'pet dogs' and choose one you feel would suit you.
    and good luck to you - and owning a dog is a joy as well as a responsibility!
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    as usual the 'sanctimonious' ones have posted. apparently, if you work full time, don't have a mansion with staff able to care for the dog while you are out, haven't acres of grounds for the dog to run around, have unlimited funds for posh food for it and expensive 'pet plans' - you are 'unworthy' and shouldn't own a dog.
    you want a dog and have thought about your situation and solutions to potential problems. Go ahead and contact rescues or look in newsagents windows. Meet potential 'pet dogs' and choose one you feel would suit you.

I agree.

Much better to give a dog a loving home even if it is on its own for some of the time than locked up in a kennel of a rescue centre nearly 24/7.

It is a huge commitment that can never be underestimated but very rewarding for it.

Good luck I hope you find a great companion.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »

Meritaten

I don't think its a case of the OP being 'unworthy' of owning a dog but having a dog is a different kettle of fish than having a cat....and if the OP can find a rescue that is willing to let them have a dog then I'd take my hat off to them - and I speak as someone who had an argument with one rescue because they point blanked refused to even consider me as I worked full-time.

I'm not saying its impossible but I think the OP will struggle....if he goes down the newsagent window route then that,in my opinion is supporting back street breeders and that's not right on so many levels, not to mention the fact that there would be practical problems in toilet training etc a puppy if he's not there.

OP why do you wnat a dog....not criticising it but I'm just asking. Have you looked at the Cinnamon Trust where by you do help a person with their dog walking needs?
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Living alone and working full time - I do not believe any rescue will let you adopt a dog from them. For those 2 reasons alone yo would not "pass" as a potential owner.

Your proposed arrangements, IMHO would not really be fair on the dog
    roaming around the house all day (which I wouldn't really want unless I'm home)

- why not? Seriously - why not?

If you take an animal into your home - you share your home with that animal. No rocket science to it really. If you are not prepared to do that - why get a dog?

Out in the garden alone for hours is not a good option - for a lot of reasons already mentioned above.

With your shift pattern it would be difficult (but not impossible) to get a dog walker to take the dog out half way through your working day for an hour - that costs money.

You said you would not insure but put money away. Do you have any idea how much a vet bill can be? Thousands easily (just paid one - via my dog's insurance). How would you cover that if what you put away is not enough?

While I do not agree that single working people should not be able to adopt a dog (I am one of those and I could not adopt from a rescue) - I believe it is always better for a dog to have a home than be stuck in a shelter or PTS.. still ... what you seem to have in mind does not come across like someone who really wants a dog, a happy dog. Your approach seems kind of cold to me - perhaps I am wrong , I hope I am wrong.

Why exactly do you want a dog rather than wanting to offer a home for one? There is a difference between the two..
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is perfectly acceptable to not have your dog roam around the house all day if that is what you want, just as it is for those that do.
  • Johnny_Dangerously
    Options
    For detailed example costs, see my thread how much does it cost to own a dog. It's a significant financial commitment over a long period.

As for being left alone, I personally don't think it's the end of the world. There are a huge amount of rescue dogs living a fairly sad existance and they can't all go to ideal homes. I would recommend thinking about arrangements for someone to come round mid day to chdck on them. Also, consider the breed. Some breeds are a little more 'highly strung' and don't tend to deal with being isolated, while others cope better.

Same goes for keeping it outside. If you set it up right some dogs will be fine and may prefer it. Plenty of rescue huskies around that will cope with being outside all year round, although they do need an enormous amount of exercise generally.

Agree with the other comments on not buying out of a private advert. So many issues with that and something to avoid at all costs.

Have a long hard think about it. Get plenty of advice. Dogs are hard work and will change your life significantly. Think about how much of a social life you have. After the dog being on it's own all week, are you going to want to leave it to go out on a friday night etc?

Doing the right thing asking before you commit though, lots of good advice available on here.
  • moments_of_sanity
    Options
    I don't allow my dogs to roam around the house, they have access to the downstairs but are never let upstairs at all but I can assure you they are very happy with the situation.

We ended up buying our dogs (2 border collies, bought at separate times) as the rescue centres wouldn't allow us to adopt a dog from them due to me working 4.5 hours a day and having children under 10.

Costs for my dogs are £40 a month for insurance, £60 a month for food and I put £20 a month away for worming/defleaing treatments/vaccinations. Due to a change in circumstances here my dogs are never left alone but when we got them they were on their own for 5 hours a day but only after I had given them a 3/4 mile walk and play around off lead in a field.

Vet costs can mount up very quickly so you do need to think about either saving an amount each month or getting insurance. We discovered a lump around my dogs rear end last week and the bill is currently at £600, this is for 2 visits and surgery yesterday to remove it.

If you want a dog, can have all the necessary doggie day care/walker in place then go for it but like others have said you will have a hard time convincing rescue centres to let you have a dog, a real shame in my opinion but I guess they have 'guide lines' to work to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport