I want a dog

Options
Not sure if this is the right place to post, seemed the most appropriate!

I've been thinking of getting a dog for awhile, I'm looking for a bit of help with the logistics. I've never had a dog before and would probably look at getting one from a rescue home.

Firstly, I live on my own and work shifts, earliest 7-3 and latest 2-10, now I have no problem taking the dog for a walk before & after work, its just the inbetween bit. Ideally I'd like to have a dog flap in my kitchen thgat allows a dog in and out to the garden at it's leisure, but obviously this limits the size of the dog I can get. So saying a dog flap is out of the question, my options seem to be roaming around the house all day (which I wouldn't really want unless I'm home) or the garden (my preffered option), would this be fair on the dog? My garden is medium sized, I'd buy a kennel and make sure it has food/ water/ blanket etc. I also have a garage that I don't really use so could sort it out for a dog to go in and out of there, I wouldn't mind getting a bigger dog flap for that as there's no valubles in there.

Secindly, what sort of weekly/ monthly cost would I be looking at for maintaining a dog? eg food, insurance, grooming, vets fees and any other potential costs.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• enjoyyourshoes
    enjoyyourshoes Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I buy working dog dry biscuits for my two ESS, £9.99 for 20 Kg, seems to last them a month maybe slightly less.

I Don't insure them but put the proposed monthly premium aside in a high interest account in case they need VET.

Castrate or not , that is the question ? Cost there.

Chipping cost.

Worm them every 4-6 months, that costs a lot £35-40 a go I think.

Grooming, a good short back and sides in late Spring £20 ish , don't go to the ones that return your dog with perfume on them & a bow attached to their collar as mine run straight for the nearest silage pit.

Make a decision on where to keep them and stick to it whatever, so if its outside (good for security & dogs freedom and less cleaning the house) keep them outside whatever the weather and provide the necessary warmth and comforts they need. If its inside don't allow them upstairs, on the bed, on any furniture etc, they are dogs.

Invest in training, understand the psychology and also regularly invest in new soles for you walking boots.

Walking , give them loads, take them to different locations so as to exercise their minds and senses, allow them off the lead as much as possible (see training) and tidy up their mess (you will get used to finding poo bags in the most surprising of locations and its amazing how useful they come in handy apart from clearing up mess)

Get a breed that suits you so as you can invest time effort and energy in them and they will repay you back in spades.

Don't buy one unless you are totally committed.

Holidays & time away from home can become a concern, what to do with them, can I take them etc .
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • PlymouthMaid
    PlymouthMaid Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would think the best option would be get a dog walker to come in halfway through your working day although the shift work could cause a problem. Really doesn't seem a great idea to have a dog pottering about on its own in the garden all day firstly because it will be lonely and secondly may well bark and really annoy neighbours.

My dog costs me £40-50 a month all in but a dog walker would obviously add a bit to this.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You may want a dog but I'm not sure a dog would want you! Rescue centres won't let you have one with the hours you work which means buying private, and I'd be a concerned if parting with a dog.

Due to a circumstance change I have to leave my dog all day and I hate it - however he is totally relaxed, seems very happy and general sleeps a lot. I'd like company for him but its too much of a gamble getting another dog that may not be okay with being left.

I'd think hard, there are a lot of dogs that need homes and I do wonder if people like us should be allowed to have them rather than PTS but being left can really upset dogs. I couldn't part with mine, I just couldn't but it doesn't stop me feeling bad even though he shows zero signs of anxiety.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have a dog, if we both worked full time we would need a dog sitter, we wouldn't simply leave it in the garden, would you like to sit outside in the cold weather naked? So you need to think about the cost of a sitter to walk your dog, also being out those hours would make it very difficult to toilet train a puppy. Dogs and especially puppies who are left alone for long periods are more likely to be disruptive, a dog shouldn't really be left alone for more than four hours.

Food, you can get cheap supermarket food but they aren't a good diet for a dog as they are high in carbs to reduce costs, our bulldog costs around £1.60 a day to feed, he has a mixture of taste of the wild dry food and raw.

Insurance, he is uninsurable so we put away £40 every month.

Worming is about £6 every three months

Vaccines £40 a year

Groomer £31 every six weeks

Vet fees, in general we spend around £200 a year in vet fees for general visits.
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We both work from home, but if we were in your shoes OP, we'd be looking at doggy day care or a dog walker that comes in during the middle of the day to take them out.

Our garden is quite large, but even at our last house where we had 1/3 acre we wouldn't have considered allowing our two free run if we were out all day.

DS and his GF have just got a puppy, but the GF works from home two-three days per week and on the other days DS takes him to a doggy day care lady in a village near his place of work. On those days he pops along to see the puppy at lunch time to walk him in addition to the (off lead) walks he gets from the sitter.

By MSE standards we feed our two what most would consider expensive food - Orijen - but as well as being better for them than cheap supermarket food, it actually is very cost-effective - a 13kg bag costs around £65-70 online (free delivery) and lasts two small/medium dogs (mini labradoodle & spanish water dog) around four-six weeks, topped up with left-overs, such as egg, meat and veg.
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would think the best option would be get a dog walker to come in halfway through your working day although the shift work could cause a problem. Really doesn't seem a great idea to have a dog pottering about on its own in the garden all day firstly because it will be lonely and secondly may well bark and really annoy neighbours.

My dog costs me £40-50 a month all in but a dog walker would obviously add a bit to this.

I agree with this. Dogs are social animals, and hate being left alone. Some bark constantly, only you won't be aware as you'll be out. Your neighbours will have the problem of listening to a barking dog every day.
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,311 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Before I had a dog I had an idea that we could make a corner of the garden into a dog run with a kennel. I know someone else that does this successfully but I have a feeling that our dog wouldnt settle and would bark a lot.

Dont underestimate how much time they need. Our dog is really good at settling in the house on his own but he needs a good walk as soon as we get in. No collapsing in front of the TV until he has been walked!

I budget £30 a month for the dog, small terrier, which includes food and pet insurance.

If you do get a rescue do your research and dont just go for the first dog you see. We had some issues with our dog and Blue Cross persuaded us to keep him. In hindsight I wish I had been a bit firmer and gone for a different dog - although we all love him to bits!
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you considered a retired/rescued greyhound or two?

Many will have lived in kennels during their racing careers so may adapt better to spending part of the day in a kennel and run than other dogs, and while they make good companions they don't need as much exercise as some other breeds.

You would need to think about heating for any outside kennel / run for the winter.

I take it that it would not be feasible to take the dog to work with you?

A dogsitter or walker who could visit and check on the dog during the time you're away is also something to factor in.

You might want to consider reposting in (or asking the mods to move to) the Pets section of the forum (Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Marriage, Relationships & Families > Pets & Pet Care)
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    It's not fair to get a dog if you work, and shift work is even worse because it messes up the dog's routine. It's different if someone gets a dog and then ends up having to work - the dog has bonded by then so would be distressed to leave the owner.

There are other ways to have dogs in your life - you can volunteer at a shelter or walk a dog for someone who no longer can (e.g. Cinnamon Trust). Or you could foster or house-sit in your holidays.

Look forward to perhaps being able to have your own dog in however many years time when you don't have to work full time.
  • teeni
    teeni Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Options
    We struggled with this question for years before finally getting a 10 week old Bull mastiff puppy on new years eve.

Insurance is £62 a month and essential has they are prone to various cancers, she has Arden grange large breed pet food which costs £45.00 a month and vet check ups , worming and vaccinations are £26.00 a month . We both work full time but I applied to work from home 3 afternoons a week under flexible working legislation to look after my dog, to enhance work life balance, and was granted it. So three mornings and one full day a week she goes to day care at £10.00 a morning and £15.00 for full day (45.00 a week) and one day she comes to work with me and sits by my desk being thoroughly spoiled by my work colleagues.

Do you research on your breed, they all react differently , and have different needs, some can cope with being alone, some can't.

She is the best decision we ever made, so if you choose to get a dog enjoy him/her xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure