How to find Rateable Value

Does anyone know how to find out the actual rateable value of a property for the purposes of un-metered water. I understand they were set in 1990, but I can't find any kind of database to actually find out what it is???

All I can find are business ones, but nothing on residential...

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It should be on your water bill. AFAIK that's now the only place that it's relevant. If you haven't got a water bill then ring up the water co and ask them.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    In April 1990 Rateable Value(RV) ceased to be used for domestic purposes for anything other than non-metered water charges. The RV of a property could have been assessed many years before 1990 - the last general assessment in England and Wales was in 1973.

The RV system of assessing 'local taxation' changed in 1990 to the 'Poll Tax' and then changed again to the current Council Tax. There is no connection between a property's RV and Council Tax band.

Your question has been asked many many times on MSE. Few Councils have kept their database of Rateable Values. It is possible that a solicitor might have some record of the RV on documents when the property was sold.

It is also pertinent to point out that the RV might differ between virtually identical properties in the same street. This was because the RV was assessed on the potential rental it could command and not value. Thus a modernised house in, say, 1973 with a garage etc would command a higher rent than an un-modernised property.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Even if you do find the RV for the property, check that it is all applied to the water bill.

One house we lived in had a separate RV for the garage, as this did not have a water supply the water rates were only assessed on the RV for the house.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure