ARN numbers can't be found, who is at fault?

Options
Hello,

Hopefully someone could kindly help me with the following problem?

A bookmaker has supposedly paid winnings back into my bank account (on going since 1st April.) I didn't receive any payments, which in total is close to £1000.

They therefore supplied me with ARN numbers which supposedly would help my bank trace the payments. This my bank did but they couldn't find the numbers supplied. I was issued with two letters from my bank stating no money had been received and no ARN numbers existed for the amounts owed.

I then sent the letters to my bookmaker as requested by them. They, after checking with their bank (said payments had been made and into the correct account) have asked me to go back to my bank again.

This is more than infuriating me. Could someone kindly tell me what my next move should be please?

Thank you for any help
catch22

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 6 May 2015 at 5:29PM
    Options
    I would complain to the bank, then to FOS.

I think it would help if your bank knew what bank sent the payment to communicate with them directly.
    The same for the other side. Ultimately, it's the bookmaker that you can sue if needed as they owe you and you can prove that you have not received the money.
  • Hellzapoppin
    Hellzapoppin Posts: 81 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2015 at 7:34AM
    Options
    The bookmakers should be providing you with a credit receipt, not an ARN. Your bank could then present this as evidence to support a Chargeback to show you are due this amount.

The difficulty here is that you've identified this money as being winnings and a chargeback can only be raised against a corresponding debit, but there are other mechanisms that your bank could use to settle the matter with the bookmaker's bank.
  • catch22
    catch22 Posts: 540 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 11 May 2015 at 6:25PM
    Options
    Both the bookmaker and my bank blaming one another. Supposedly, the bookmaker has traced the money from their bank and it shows as being paid to my account. They are going to send me a letter with all the relevant information, the traces and results. My bank having traced it from their side using the ARN supplied, can't find it. They are saying it must of been paid into the wrong account or something similar.

Both driving me up the wall....Is my bookmaker the one who I should be pursuing as they owe me the money or my bank? Fed up of being the piggy in the middle.

I'm thinking small claims court for bookmaker and FOS for bank?

Thanks
    catch22
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    IMO (and surprisingly comes up often on here with bookmakers) if the bookies owe you money and they have told you it has been sent, but your bank statement shows nothing, then the bookies should prove how and where it was sent.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Even if the bookie can prove this, but the customer can prove that the money wasn't received, then the bookie still owes the money and can be sued for it.

So, yes, FOS for the bank and SCC for the bookie.
  • catch22
    catch22 Posts: 540 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Grumbler, my bank has already issued me with the letter stating no payment has been received into my account. I've sent this to the bookmaker who are going to send a letter from their bank stating what tracing procedures they have done.

I'm basically in the belief that its the bookmaker who owes me the money and therefore its their responsibility to pay me.

After this Friday, I will look into SCC. I want to check if I can add costs and time to the amount owed, i.e. mobile phone calls to both customer services. Plus time spent writing numerous emails.
    catch22
  • chans
    Options
    I was doing trading with plus500 company (UK- plus500UK Ltd, Cyprus- plus500CY Ltd ) using their website. When I make profit I withdraw them to my bank account using my debit card number. Two times it went well and when I withdraw my profits from plus500 successfully transferred to my bank using the withdrawal options provided by them. But the third time when I made a withdrawal of AED 1900 even after one month later, funds were not transferred to my bank account. So I made many complaints to them but they say they transferred the funds and I should have them. But still after one month AED 1900 have not reached my bank account. Then I contacted my bank many times and they say if plus500 transferred money they should provide me with a SWIFT copy so that they have proof that they transferred the funds correctly to my account. But when I requested for SWIFT copy from plus500, they say that they cannot obtain a SWIFT copy instead they gave me an ARN number which I forwarded to the bank, however they say they cannot track the transaction with ARN number and bank still asks for SWIFT copy which plus500 doesn't provide me with.
    I started trading with plus500 mostly because it was regulated by well know regulatory bodies like FCA (FRN 509909) and AFSL #417727 issued by Australian Securities and Investments Commission. But in my case the way plus500 responding is very scary and really unacceptable. I’m not a rich person; I’m working as a waiter and AED 1900 is almost equal to my one month salary and I invested with them my hard earned money with the trust and assurance I had because the company was well regulated even by FCA . But this multi-million company even regulated by FCA failed to provide me with a proper proof of the fund transfer and since I still didn’t receive the money proves a fraud and very unprofessional behavior. The ARN number (74929xxxxxxxxxxxxx00038) they provided cannot be tracked in my country and it is just a number that proves nothing about the transaction. So I don’t know whether they transferred the money to my correct bank account or not. For me AED 1900 is not a joke and it’s not 1900 peanuts or cashew nuts. I many times requested the SWIFT copy for the transaction as you can see in the forwarded conversation between me and plus500 customer support where unfortunately they still don’t provide me with. It’s really depressing and disappointing and disgusting to see these big multi-million companies steal money from poor people like us and living a luxurious life. It’s a shame for them and their dependants too that they earn money using these fraud and eat, live, cloth using our stolen money. Shame on these companies and shame on the government bodies who protect these blood sucking sharks !!!
    My concerns are as follows:
    - If the money was transferred successfully previous 2 times using the same method I used for the 3rd transaction, why still I didn’t receive the money in my bank account?
    - If they successfully did the fund transfer, why do I have to manually track it with the card issuer (XXXX bank or Visa) using the so called ARN number (which is just a number that neither XXXX bank nor VISA can track)?
    - Why don’t plus500 provide me with the SWIFT copy to prove that they correctly transferred the money to my account?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Ignoring the nonsense that chans has signed up to post and going back to the OP, was this a UK bookmaker transferring funds to a UK bank account? If yes, why do ARN numbers come into it?
    Where funds are expected into a bank account and not received, banks will not usually commence any investigation at the request of the recipient; they will tell the recipient to go back to the sender who will have to start the investigation with their bank.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The OP was 18 months ago.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport