Supermarkets

Having shopped for years at the likes of Tesco, Asda, etc, for the last two weeks we have done the bulk of our non-branded shopping (eg veg, milk, toilet roll, etc) at Lidl, then gone on to Tesco for branded items which we still require (nappies, baby food, coffee, etc). Whereas we were spending £100-£115 per week before, it's now down to £80 last week at £66 this week! I reckon over a month it will save me £120. Ok, so we have to go to 2 supermarkets and have certain "unbranded" items. So what? I know what I prefer...

Comments

• MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well done! Never have bought brand names and don't think I've missed much.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Yea you can save money by going to the likes of Lidi, Aldi or Netto for certain things.
  • ;DIn case anyone has wondered about quality/reliability of items from eg Lidl... I bought an external light for the house, very modern and exactly what I would buy at any price but at Lidl was just £9.99. I see the exact same light, (same manufacturer etc) in several different DIY stores costing from £34.00 to £45.00. My light is installed, works, looks good and was one hell of a buy. Go Lidl.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,862 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've bought lots of quality items from lidl saving loads of money, signing up for their twice weekly email HERE means you can view items without visiting store
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • walks
    walks Posts: 411 Forumite
    ;) thanks glad for that just registerd saved on fuel by not going down to look :D
    Every cloud has a silver lining:j
  • ;)You can also sign up online to receive forthcoming offers for Aldi. ;D
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,862 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    for the Aldi twice weekly email click HERE
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • howalsh
    howalsh Posts: 396 Forumite
    Are their items that much cheaper than the supermarket value ones? That aint what I've found.
    My views are irrelevant - censorship is alive & well!
  • Another tip is to use some of the money you save to buy bigger bottles/jars of stuff like Sauce,pickles and also make use of multi buys. I find by doing this , that ana verage weekly spend of £100 (used to be £120 before Lidl opened near me) will result in a week when only the basics are required (a sub £15 shop) every fifth week. henc einstead of spending £600 over 5 weeks , I now spend £420.

Im lucky I have a large storag ecupboard so can stockpile beans and the like when on specia offer. I bought a load in tescos last month at 8p a tin or something stupid. best before June 2005.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure