🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

dog being neutered will i need time off work

Options
teeni
teeni Posts: 1,193 Forumite
Hello , this might be a daft question but here goes, my bull mastiff Holly ( 6 months) is being neutered on the 15 th May will i need to have time off work to be with her afterwards. she is not normally left alone as she goes to doggy day care every day whilst im in work, but she cant go for 10 days after the op until the stitches come out.

Can i leave her and come home at lunch time to see her or do i need to stay with her

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    mmmm a boy dog I'd be happy to leave afterwards, a girl dog not (sorry) - really because of the stitches, in case she got to them when you weren't there

Maisie went to my mum's until her stitches were out - as it was she was fine but I personally wouldn't want to take the chance ..... is there anyone she could stay with during the day?
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • teeni
    Options
    Thank you rising from the ashes, she is having the op on a friday so we will be with her over the weekend, it will be day 3 on the monday. I think i will book a weeks holidays just to be sure, she is n't used to being alone so that wont help as it may stress her out.
  • downhillfast
    downhillfast Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    teeni wrote: »
    Thank you rising from the ashes, she is having the op on a friday so we will be with her over the weekend, it will be day 3 on the monday. I think i will book a weeks holidays just to be sure, she is n't used to being alone so that wont help as it may stress her out.

The chances are she will be absolutely fine but I think you are doing the right things by booking holiday. If she's not used to being left alone for extended periods then that stress may well inhibit her recovery and give her the opportunity to find those stitches!

A little aside...

When our boxer had to have his leg bandaged, we left him - he was used to a) being left b) wearing a cone and c) recovering from all manner of previous conditions and operations...

however, one day whilst checking in on him on our security camera my OH noticed he'd got the cone off and was licking his bandaged leg which was under no circumstances to get wet! She had to abandon work, jump in the car and race home to take him to have it re-bandaged... vet was very impressed with how we caught him and had me give him all the camera details so he could get some for the kennels at the surgery! :rotfl:
  • teeni
    Options
    Thank you downhillfast, i think you are right , i have holidays ic an use and my employers are very good about me working from home if i need to do anything, when i bought the puppy they changed my working hours so that i work from home on 3 afternoon a week to look after her, and as i said she usually goes to the day care the rest of the time. I love the idea of the cameras i am impresses too
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've just had ours spayed. She had keyhole so only 3 little dissolving stitches. Definitely needed the cone for a while as she is a bit of a sod for licking herself.

She was extremely sleepy for about 4 days after the day of the op and was fine to be left as she actually didn't notice! On day 5, it was like a switch had been flicked and she was back to moving, playing and generally like her normal self, at least before hormones got her to be miserable. She's taken probably 2 weeks for the wounds to look fully healed, but she's pretty much there now.

I stay at home in the day, but with the cone etc, she was struggling a bit to eat/ drink so that needed a bit of help
  • teeni
    Options
    Thank you arbrighton, I have decided to book leave, i will do it tuesday when i go to work, She is never left alone apart from night when she is sleeping and i think the stress of being left along after the op when she is not feeling her best will just be asking for trouble.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you think a cone will upset her (it does some dogs), I'd suggest a Comfy collar, which is an inflatable neck pillow.

I bought one when my boy was castrated, as he is a known nibbler of flesh, so would have a go at stitches and sure to bash about trying to remove a cone.

I bought it a few weeks early and gradually got him used to eat by feeding treats with it on.

Actually, he got to like it, asking for it back on when it was taken off for a break, as it was his portable pillow and his stitches (two lots as a testicle was inguinal) remained intact.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Glad you're going to be with her - esp if she's not used to being on her own ...... I must say I was worried how quickly Maisie would bounce back with her being older (she was 5.5 years when I got her and spayed then) but she was back to her usual bouncy self the next day!
  • teeni
    Options
    Glad you're going to be with her - esp if she's not used to being on her own ...... I must say I was worried how quickly Maisie would bounce back with her being older (she was 5.5 years when I got her and spayed then) but she was back to her usual bouncy self the next day!

the Vet said she should bounce back quickly, as she is young and healthy, she is 7 months old still a baby really not that she looks like one she is 32,4 kilos almost 70lb , but yes i think i want to be with her, i dont know how she will react to being alone, she never has been alone for even the shortest time, something i think we will have to work on, as it probably isn't healthy, just in case she ever needs to be left alone in the future for any reason
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    teeni wrote: »
    i dont know how she will react to being alone, she never has been alone for even the shortest time, something i think we will have to work on, as it probably isn't healthy, just in case she ever needs to be left alone in the future for any reason

Yup, def something to work on - at some point there will come a time when she will need to be left alone (night out, family emergency etc)

Mum didn't ever leave her dog (there was no reason to, she's there all the time) and TBH it is now a big issue as there are times when it's unavoidable (eg if mum needs to take dad to the hospital etc) and Katie is an absolute wreak!

I know someone else who has to take their dog when they go to the supermarket or even to the movies! (she hates leaving her in the car but the dog copes better with that than being in the house alone)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport