Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Travel mugs, thermos, onya bags and more: What re-usable items do you use & save £s?

New Post Advanced Search

Travel mugs, thermos, onya bags and more: What re-usable items do you use & save £s?

edited 19 September 2017 at 11:54AM in Old Style MoneySaving
52 replies 9.8K views
Former_MSE_AndreaFormer_MSE_Andrea Former MSE
9.6K posts
I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler Savvy Shopper! Stoptober Survivor
✭✭✭✭
edited 19 September 2017 at 11:54AM in Old Style MoneySaving
Update September 2017

We started this discussion a couple of years ago but the topic's always relevant and there are some great ideas on here, plus Rachelle Strauss from Zero Waste Week has posted on here.

If you're interested in more ways to save money with re-usable products read our Recycle Week Hub.

Join in!

Back to the original post...

----

We've met with Karen Cannard of The Rubbish Diet and Rachelle Strauss of Myzerowaste recently and having talked to them it's clear there are a lot of ways we can save £s AND the environment by not using certain items in the first place.

With Karen we talked about using travel mugs, with Rachelle we discussed re-usable supermarket shopping bags such as onya bags and mats you can wrap your sandwiches in instead of clingfilm or aluminium foil.

Using travel mugs for your daily coffee if you get one can save on plastic cups. Using them to make your own if you're buying at Starbucks, Costa etc can save you a packet. Use our Demotivator tool to work out how much you could be saving!

So we wanted to ask you - what re-usables do you use that save £s by not throwing stuff in the bin AND help the environment?
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: [email protected]

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    We've a couple of metal drinking water bottles, hold just over a pint and keep the water cool even on warm days so never buy water in plastic bottles. We also have a couple of stainless steel Tiffin Boxes (multi compartmented stacks) which means we can take not just sandwiches but a salad,pickles, bread roll etc. all kept seperately and wash them up after use, so no waste at all. Also we both have a 'spork' which means no disposable cutlery either.
  • Travel mug. I use it everyday on the way to work. Must save a fortune not stopping for coffee on the way. I also take a flask of coffee to transfer to the mug for the journey home. My commute is usually just under 2 hours each way. I need coffee. That and hard boiled eggs to get me there.
  • moneyistooshorttomentionmoneyistooshorttomention
    17.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a couple of lock and lock type boxes designed with compartments in that I can use for taking packed lunches. Failing that - I do re-use ziplock freezer bags (ie by washing them out after use) as many times as I can until the "zip" stops working. I haven't taken plastic carrier bags for a long time anyway and just have a fold-up shopping bag there in my handbag constantly in case I decide to buy anything.

I haven't used clingfilm or aluminium foil for years (mainly for health reasons....). I just put whatever-it-is in a baking dish or the like and put some sort of lid on it.
  • oystercatcheroystercatcher Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    It takes slightly more space but when I am out and about I take a small stainless steel flask filled with boiling water and a tiny jar of coffee granules , and an unbreakable cup, stainless steel is nicest but plastic is lighter.
    Coffee can be made on the spot , I find it tastes funny if kept if the flask made up . Also if I don't stop for coffee all that is wasted is hot water and not the coffee !

If I don't want to carry a seperate cup I do have a chunky flask that I can drink from , I still prefer to carry the coffee seperately.

I drink black coffee but am sure a tiny container of milk or coffee whitener would be possible.
  • Former_MSE_AndreaFormer_MSE_Andrea Former MSE
    9.6K posts
    I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler Savvy Shopper! Stoptober Survivor
    ✭✭✭✭
    We've just tweeted this from @MSE_Forum, looking forward to hearing more great ideas!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: [email protected]
  • cat4772cat4772 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    I have a few jute bags that I go shopping with, they last ages and hold lots.

I have a travel mug that I use when I'm gardening. keeps my drink nice and hot, even in winter.

I take packed lunch to work in a click lock box that I wash each day and reuse. And also take fruit snacks in little pots that I wash and reuse.

Instead of buying small yoghurt pots, I'll buy a 500ml container (or make my own) and just take a portion in a small pot. a handful of frozen fruit keeps the yoghurt nice and cool and provides part of my 5-a-day.

cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    :onever attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    :othe thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC £113.53 / £325
  • jackyannjackyann Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Used a travel mug every day when I was at work.
    I'm a great Onya fan, and use their bags, drinking bottles, little towels, and the net bags for fruit & veg.

However, I find that the lunch wrap stuff rather awkward.
    I use baking parchment and paper bags to wrap food, but I do accept this is not MSE - just better for the environment than cling film and foil.

And much as I love Onya (I often give them as gifts), this is really MSE: http://www.morsbags.com/
  • ZeroWasteWeekZeroWasteWeek Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    67 posts
    We also have a couple of stainless steel Tiffin Boxes (multi compartmented stacks)

Oh I love those; where did you buy yours from? :beer:
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of ZeroWasteWeek. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected]"
  • ZeroWasteWeekZeroWasteWeek Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    67 posts
    I need coffee. That and hard boiled eggs to get me there.

Apparently you can make your own calcium supplement from washing and drying the egg shells in the oven then blitzing into a powder to sprinkle on food - now THAT'S reuse! :D
    I am the official organisation representative of ZeroWasteWeek. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected]"
    67 posts
    I haven't taken plastic carrier bags for a long time anyway and just have a fold-up shopping bag there in my handbag constantly in case I decide to buy anything.

That's the key to success, isn't it? I STILL find I get to the checkout without a reusable bag; usually caught out when the trip wasn't planned :mad: