Mature student covering mortgage and bills on year abroad

I'm a mature student about to go on my year abroad in August 2015 and will be earning a basic salary to cover living costs. I have a mortgage and bills to pay in the UK, most of them in my name and my partner, who will be staying in the UK, can't afford to pay everything in my absence.
I'm not entitled to Erasmus funding and have a lot to pay out before I leave (visas, flights, insurance....)
Can anyone offer some good advice for how to reduce the UK bills with my providers whilst I am away or any general good advice about this topic? Thank you :)

(I can't find any topics on the forum covering this situation)

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I think you'll need to explain more about which bills you feel could be reduced. Household bills, including mortgage, will still have to be paid regardless of who is in the household for the year. If you have other debts then there may be ways to reduce payments, but there may be consequences if you do.

Your mortgage is a possibility depending on whether it allows changes to be made to the term or payment amounts, or has the option of a payment holiday.
  • Hi agrinnall,
    I know I can't reduce my mortgage payments, but I have gas, electric, landline, BB, council tax etc. I don't have any CC debts.
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is your partner staying in the UK and living in the house? Do you have children? I would think your best bet is getting lodgers to cover your share of the bills.
  • Yes, partner is staying here and living in the house (we share mortgage and bills down the middle). No kids, no space for a lodger and he wouldn't tolerate a stranger! I have some savings to cover my financial obligations here, but want to reduce the amount going out as much as possible.
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Perhaps your best bet would be to post a Statement of Affairs, this shows all your household income and outgoings. People can then have a look and advise on areas that you might be able to cut back. I can't see that there is any way to cover half of the mortgage and bills, but if you explain how much you need to save, then we can say if that is realistic or not.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You say "partner wouldn't tolerate a stranger" but living alone is a luxury, and sometimes finances mean we need to compromise. I faced a very similar situation when my studies involved a year abroad: my then partner did not want to come with me but since she was not earning there was absolutely no way to cover the costs of maintaining a home in England as well as living costs overseas, and so she did end up coming to South America with me.

Anyway, the reality of the situation that you post is that your partner has the option of finding a lodger; finding a better-paid job; or leaving the shared home while you are away so that it can be let and either renting a room nearby or joining you for your year abroad.
  • Hi Voyager,

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately the option of a lodger is a no go. I have a tiny house with no room for someone to stay in a second bedroom. My partner can't 'get another job' as he is self employed as a sole trader in a business he built himself and works extremely long hours. As the house is a shared ownership property(mortgage and rent) we can't sub-let either. He can't abandon his business to follow me for a year, and the salary I'm paid whist away wouldn't support 2 people. And what would he do for a year? (he can't speak the target language).
    Also, when I come back I still have a year of studies to finish. He would have no income as the business would have ended.
    If only it was just a case of compromise for finance's sake, but it isn't that cut and dried I'm afraid.
  • Hi cte1111,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately neither of us have a salary income to work from. I don't recieve one as a student (using savings and grant per term) and partner is self-employed. Once he's paid the bills and a few living expenses, it's all re-invested back into the business.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In which case there is no overall solution... study the DFW section of this board (and perhaps 'old style' as well) for ideas about how to cut general living costs. Ensure that your partner knows all about tax credits. And explore opportunities for an additional income while you are away, perhaps by giving English lessons...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure