Hello friends, What is the process for building a driveway in a house please?

Options
Hello all,

What is the process for building a driveway in a house please?

I gather I will need a planning permission + I need to decide what type of driveway I want.

However I am not sure about the process of it all, could anyone outline what steps I would need to go through to build one so I can plan?

It will really help, and if you have any links or resources as a bonus it would be great :)

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have a dropped kerb onto the road?
  • LiveOnce
    LiveOnce Posts: 476 Forumite
    Options
    No I don't yet so I need to do that!
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My main tip is to build it outside the house....
    Je suis sabot...
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Start by having a good read of this website - it's very good, lots of info, whether you're doing it yourself or getting a contractor:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/home.htm
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Search your councils website for dropped kerb and driveway.
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Options
    Budget for £90/sqm
  • ispookie666
    ispookie666 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a driveway and was just extending to park another car, got a diyer to dig out and he just put some 20mm gravel on on the usual weedcontrol sheet. It was just a night mare!!!
    I put some interlocking sheets and put the gravel back on. Compacted a bit and is holding the weight of the car without any trouble. There is no free movement of gravel.
    PS: You need to have a strong base either using hardcore etc or the soil should be able to hold.
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    I think you need a minimum length from house to pavement, usually 18-20 feet. Will your dropped kerb affect on-street parking adversely? Do your neighbours have them? these are the things the council will consider. Many also want to do the work themselves (on the footpath - not your garden), budget on £3,000+ for dropped kerb and hardstanding.
  • LiveOnce
    LiveOnce Posts: 476 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Thank you for the information. My front area currently has grass and I would like to build a driveway on it.

Can anyone outline the steps I need to go through from start to finish?

E.g. Do I need to measure out how much the kerb should be dropped for my driveway? Do I also have to measure out how much of the front of my house I want to turn into a driveway for the council? Or do they/builders do this all usually?

Sorry I am quite new so asking naive questions.
  • Bigmoney2
    Bigmoney2 Posts: 640 Forumite
    edited 27 May 2015 at 8:36PM
    Options
    LiveOnce wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thank you for the information. My front area currently has grass and I would like to build a driveway on it.

Can anyone outline the steps I need to go through from start to finish?

E.g. Do I need to measure out how much the kerb should be dropped for my driveway? Do I also have to measure out how much of the front of my house I want to turn into a driveway for the council? Or do they/builders do this all usually?

Sorry I am quite new so asking naive questions.

Have a look on your local councils website, they will need to drop the curb, they will charge to survey it, then appoint contractors , they have a list of approved contractors to drop the curb. There are also restrictions on what materials can be used for the drive and if you need soakaways.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/pavingfrontgarden/

https://my.leeds.gov.uk/Pages/Form%20Pages/RequestDroppedKerborVehicularCrossingSiteInspection.aspx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure