Leaving Virgin fee and problems with BT

Options
Can anyone advise me please on the two problems I'm having with Virgin Media & BT Broadband I'm new and just joined this forum so this is my first blog! , My family and I have just moved to a new house and I have recently been told that we can't have our Virgin broadband service because they haven't installed it in the street where are new house is. Virgin have said they are going to charge us £145.49p for early cancelation is this correct can they do this. We didn't want to cancel the contract but Virgin's Broadband isn't in our street. That's the first problem.

I have just ordered on the 9th of April over the phone both BT Broadband and land line,the landline was turned on and the broadband was delivered on the 16th of April some 7 days later.
The landline is fine but we are have so much trouble with the broadband it's very slow and we are getting fed up with it. So today I phoned them and the operator ask me to do all the checks and they did a speed test that came back slow, I was then on the phone for over an hour & passed to lots of different departments trying to CANCEL the broadband service as I thought I had a 14 day period where I could change me mind but they have told me it's going to cost me another £190.00 to cancel my contract early. I thought I was within the 14 days because the broadband was delivered on the 16th but apparently it's from when I made the first phone call on the 9th. How can this be when it didn't get delivered until the 16th.

I just think all the big companies make up all the rules, We are a working family with children who really could do without those charges. £149.49p & £190.00 it's ridiculous.
Any help would be great from anyone.
Kind regards
Neil

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They are both correct , it's nots virgins fault you moved and you are still under contract with them so the charge is correct

Again you are now under contract to BT for broadband and you have not given them ample time to resolve the problem. It takes 10 days for the line speed to optimise as the hub learns the profile of your line
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 April 2015 at 8:49PM
    Options
    Your contract with VM was at the old address, and they do not offer universal service, so if you move and break the contract, an ETC is payable. See any of dozens of threads on this subject.
    With BT, under the DSR you have 14 days cooling off from the date you sign up, or until the day before the service commences, whichever is first. Why would they incur all the upfront costs of connecting you and then allow you to leave on day one without penalty?
    If the problem is with the line, then changing ISP will make no difference whatsoever. You appear to have made no attempt to work with BT to improve the speed, which may well be a fault with your internal wiring or extension sockets-nothing to do with BT. If you are used to VM cable speeds and are now on plain vanilla ADSL, then of course it will be much slower.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Nellyneenee
    Options
    Hey thanks for the info. I still think it's a con but then most things are in the UK,
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's the con you freely signed up to...you need to stick with BT and allow them time to find the fault, if there is one.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport