Suggestions needed to fill very deep crevice

Options
alberty
alberty Posts: 87 Forumite
I had another recent thread here about an ex boiler-cupboard to shower conversion. The project has been finished and the shower overall looks quite good, but the shower tray is fitted onto a 1cm thick piece of plywood, and there are gaps in places between the plywood and the floor, which I can slide a 12in ruler all the way into.

Is there a way to get filler deep into those deep hard to reach gaps? E.g spraying foam through a straw, or a caulking gun with a very long narrow nozzle? The problem with foam is that it expands as it hardens and perhaps it might dislodge the shower tray.

I expect to hear 'cowboy job', 'rip it out and start again', and I wish I had watched over my builders more, but I'd like to salvage the job if possible, and even now when I stand on the tray it doesn't seem to flex or move. So how bad is this job and what can be done?

229000_228452_93713_58109845_thumb.jpg

229000_228452_93714_28276687_thumb.jpg

Comments

• CrazyRed
    CrazyRed Posts: 254 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2015 at 10:17PM
    Options
    Looks like they've used the sheet of wood to spread the load of the shower tray (I daresay they've screwed the wood to the floorboards, too, if it's rock-solid).

I think expanding foam's too much for that gap. I'd look at one of something like this (http://www.diy.com/departments/homelux-pvc-white-ultra-seal-l183m/255215_BQ.prd), sticking it down with "No More Nails" or the suchlike, or I'd look at popping some silicone into the gaps, let that harden and then run a bead of silicone all along the floor-line under the shower tray.

(I was going to suggest flexible filler, but I suspect it may not be flexible enough against the movement of the floorboards).
    PLEASE NOTE:

I limit myself to responding to threads where I feel I have enough knowledge to make a useful contribution. My advice (and indeed any advice on this type of forum) should only be seen as a pointer to something you may wish to investigate further. Never act on any forum advice without confirmation from an accountable source.
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Use some polyurethane wood glue, expands slightly

BTW - rip it out! it's looks a very poor job
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Plasterer
    Plasterer Posts: 819 Forumite
    Options
    R u taking the p
    ?????????
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Plasterer wrote: »
    R u taking the p
    ?????????

Yes he is, your paiss take filter is switched off methinks:p

Resin mix woodwork adhesive forced into the gap will do the trick. Ram it home by sliding a chunk of mdf or similar along the floor.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 April 2015 at 7:57PM
    Options
    Plasterer wrote: »
    R u taking the p
    ?????????

Maybe, but at least they have a grasp of the English language.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 4,005 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ceredigion wrote: »
    Maybe but at least the have a grasp of the English language

Are you sure? :p
  • escapee
    escapee Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 April 2015 at 9:00PM
    Options
    Why do you need to fill the crevice? As the plywood seems to be flush with the front of the shower tray, I would consider finishing this off with a PVC edging strip. Simply glue or silicone into place and it will be both easy to wipe clean and a tidy finish.

s-l1000.jpg
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What flooring are you putting in there?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • alberty
    alberty Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    What flooring are you putting in there?

Just had berber wool carpet fitted everywhere, but I'll have some kind of mat in front of the shower door.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Will the flooring not cover the gap?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts