removing remains of ivy on wall (pic)

Options
hi all
i have cut back a load of ivy that was growing against my front wall.
can anyone suggest how to remove or make it easier to remove this residue stuck to the wall which is a painted rendered finish without damaging the render by gouging it off!!.
many thanks.

2is9mwz.jpg

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You really need to scrape it off, use a wire brush rather than something thats going to cause damage. I've never managed to get it all off without using a wire brush and repainting the wall. Its not even a big patch to repaint,.

Its only going to grow back anyway if that's all you are getting rid of..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • tonygold
    tonygold Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    hi
    thanks for reply. yes, i realise i am going to have to repaint this wall but just wondered the best way to remove as much as possible. is there any solution or product that i could put on it to make its removal easier?
  • Babbawah
    Babbawah Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    I removed a climber {not Ivy} over 20yrs ago from an outbuilding and the majority of the remains are still there !

You could try . . . in a small indiscreet area first . . . Jeyes fluid. Brush or spray it on neat, Jeyes is very good at killing the green and it might . . . just might have an affect on whatever is gluing the remnants of your ivy to the wall.

Failing that, I've had some success with brick acid. Carefully paint it on and leave it, it won't dissolve the wall.

I reckon it would be far easier to re-paint and live with the pattern it leaves.
  • tonygold
    tonygold Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Babbawah wrote: »

I reckon it would be far easier to re-paint and live with the pattern it leaves.

i'm starting to think you might be right!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure