🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Leaving Three, PAC received in 8m/33s - the secret to leaving your network???

Options
spannerzone
spannerzone Posts: 1,549 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've read horror stories where people try to leave their mobile provider and spend hours and hours on the phone getting nowhere, trying to get their PAC number to allow them to move their number elsewhere.

Over the years I've had very little trouble getting the PAC and moving with minimal effort and stress, whether it be with Orange, Tesco, Tmobile or today, Three who I had a rolling 30day SIM only contract; I had an 8 and a half minute conversation and within 5 mins after ending the call I'd received my PAC number so I'm now able to port to another network.

I've used the same tactic every time and it's worked every time with usually a max of 10 minutes on the phone: firstly I want to leave, I not trying to get a better price although that usually gets offered....so I speak to cancellations, request my PAC number and wait for their response which is 'why?' - I tell them my new employer is taken my number onto their corporate phone account. This usually stops them trying to offer you better deals because I tell them I'm going to pay nothing, Three did say I would get work calls when away from work so I said yes, I'm an engineer who is on 24hour call out so no problem. 7 mins later they've agreed to giving the PAC number and mention final billing etc. All nice and friendly, virtually zero hard sell or pushyness... and I'm free to move on.

Hope this might be of some use to those wanting to leave their network provider. Write down bullet points of why you're leaving, don't deviate or show any interest in their offers, be firm but friendly and I bet it'll work for your as it has done on a number of occasions for me.

Apologies for the lengthy post!

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Three don't seem to be making any effort to retain people asking for a PAC. They aren't offering any discounts on the standard plans and if you don't want a standard plan or try saying you can get better value elsewhere they seem to be just giving the PAC without further discussion.

They seem to have had a complete change of strategy from their head office, it's like it or leave now.
    ====
  • im-lost
    im-lost Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2015 at 11:29PM
    Options
    a quicker way, ask for your pac, if they refuse request a supervisor or manager, pac processed in less than a minute, sorted.

Why go through some story about an employer taking on your number, really, what's the point? the sales guys only keep people on the phone because they allow them to, and people use asking for a PAC to get a better deal, shutting anything dead with a simple request and if they don't oblige then get a manager involved, done and dusted, why try to complicate things.

why make lists and bullet points of reasons you want to leave? it juat leave space for them to say oh but we can offer you that, how about this etc etc its none of their business why you want to leave, you want to leave, you want your PAC, so gimmee it, or pass me on to someone that will.

You wouldn't walk in to your bank and say, I want to close my account, and then listen to half an hour of crap from them, you wouldn't stand for it, you'd either ask for what you want again, or ask for a manager to come down, why accept anything different on the phone?
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Agree with im-lost. I got my PAC from O2 in about 2 mins with I want my PAC ... not interested, just give me my PAC... Thanks... Done.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • corf999
    corf999 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    me too, i've had PACs from orange, o2 and vodafone by text during a short phone call.

The MVNO's may be more difficult.
  • spannerzone
    spannerzone Posts: 1,549 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, sounds like things have changed perhaps, there are numerous articles about the frustrations people have getting to leave and getting their PAC, clearly I'm a novice lol

Never trust information given by strangers on internet forums
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rang Orange last night to get the PAC (as moving to 3).

Was on the phone 15 minutes, 5 to work through the ridiculous menus, 9 queuing to get answered and 1 to get the PAC.

I want my PAC

Why?

Because I want it, I have taken another account out with an alternative provider who offers unlimited downloads, you do not. Please may I have my PAC.

Yes sir, it's xxx
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • Helsish
    Options
    I bought a gold number Vodafone SIM and want my PAC. Easier said than done. Any advice on the best way to contact them. Waiting times on the phone are mad or I've been cut off and live help wasn't working again last time I looked! :/ Thanks in advance!
  • d123
    Options
    Helsish wrote: »
    I bought a gold number Vodafone SIM and want my PAC. Easier said than done. Any advice on the best way to contact them. Waiting times on the phone are mad or I've been cut off and live help wasn't working again last time I looked! :/ Thanks in advance!

I had a similar problem previously, contact Lee or one of the other forum reps here and get them to help.

Instructions are in the Vodafone thread (you should probably have posted there rather than here).
    ====
  • Helsish
    Options
    Thanks Dave, apologies for posting in the wrong area.
  • d123
    Options
    Helsish wrote: »
    Thanks Dave, apologies for posting in the wrong area.

No problem (you are in the right area ;), just more likely to get help in the other thread).
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family