Dental Insurance Disscusion

Options

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Having a general anaesthetic would increase the bill enormously.

I think you would be very lucky to find an insurance policy that woiuld cover this for routine dentistry - but I'm not an insurance expert.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • ourkid
    ourkid Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    ok cheers for the adviced, shall probably ring around i think
  • balan
    balan Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    First of all, if you really want to save yourself a lot of money in the future, you must take preventative care with your teeth and gums.

streetdirectory com
    cazmeg wrote: »
    Has anyone got any recommendations for family dental insurance cover?
  • Ruthie5
    Ruthie5 Posts: 203 Forumite
    Options
    I've just joined a local dentist today that was recommended by a friend. Hadn't managed to register somewhere for a year after moving into the area, and am a bit of a phobic patient too.

This practice has their own scheme - they just call it Practice plan (not sure if this is a national thing?). You pay £11 per month, and get two check ups a year, dental hygeine work and xrays for free. Then the practice give you 20% discount off treatment. For example, a small filling would cost you £50 instead of the usual £63 and a crown would cost £280 instead of £350.

I don't think that sounds too bad (views welcome!) but I'm wondering whether to supplement this with a cash plan, so that I get the discount from the practice, but can claim separately for some of the cost of any treatment I need?

Thanks in advance :A (Halo is because I managed to sign on at the dentists!)
  • bobby9205
    bobby9205 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Just thought I would throw my two pence worth in.
    I went to Poland recently to have my dental work done, I hate going to the dentist but glad I choose Poland, the best dentist Ive ever been to! Very reasonable costs (£40 for a white filling and £150 for a crown and root canal work) I have had the work checked out by a orthodentist over here who said it was the best work she had ever seen!
    Got cheap flights from ryan air, and its dead cheap over there to eat and drink (80p for a pint!) and got to see the sights of Krakow!
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    How did you come to see an orthodontist?
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • bobby9205
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    How did you come to see an orthodontist?

I had a brace fitted on my upper set whilst in Poland and I get it checked/tightened every 6 weeks over here, I could go and get it checked/tightened up in Poland (it would be cheaper) but dont have the time to do so.

The orthodontist also said the brace was very well fitted and was good work.
  • GotNoMoney
    GotNoMoney Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2009 at 2:25AM
    Options
    bobby9205 wrote: »
    Just thought I would throw my two pence worth in.
    I went to Poland recently to have my dental work done, I hate going to the dentist but glad I choose Poland, the best dentist Ive ever been to! Very reasonable costs (£40 for a white filling and £150 for a crown and root canal work) I have had the work checked out by a orthodentist over here who said it was the best work she had ever seen!
    Got cheap flights from ryan air, and its dead cheap over there to eat and drink (80p for a pint!) and got to see the sights of Krakow!

Okay whats the full name and address of this dentist and do they speak English?

I have been waiting 10 months for full dentures on the NHS and I hear some cases of people waiting 3 years, even 6 years. What the f**k!!! So I quit even expecting to get treatment anytime soon, gave up hope.

It would cost about £600 here (at least) but Poland... and a Ryan Air flight... I wonder if it would be under £600?

Someone needs to actually sue the Government or something over this. Third world countries probably treat people with dental problems faster than here.

Haha cooler than a cucumber look...
    dentaltravelpoland.co.uk/introduction/

It would be a nice holiday actually.
  • bobby9205
    Options
    GotNoMoney wrote: »
    Okay whats the full name and address of this dentist and do they speak English?

I have been waiting 10 months for full dentures on the NHS and I hear some cases of people waiting 3 years, even 6 years. What the f**k!!! So I quit even expecting to get treatment anytime soon, gave up hope.

It would cost about £600 here (at least) but Poland... and a Ryan Air flight... I wonder if it would be under £600?

Someone needs to actually sue the Government or something over this. Third world countries probably treat people with dental problems faster than here.

Haha cooler than a cucumber look...
    dentaltravelpoland.co.uk/introduction/

It would be a nice holiday actually.

If you google polishmysmile

you will get the company I used, yes they do speak English and even pick you from the airport, and can sort out accomadation for you if you require.

All the details are on there website, just email them, they get back to you very quickly.

And yes Krakow is a very beautiful city with lots of things to do!
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yesterday, I had a new gold crown fitted to a molar and I realised when the dentist fitted it that the bite wasn't right, but he said my mouth would adjust. Anyway, last night I had tremendous problems with it, particularly the pain and sensitivity experienced when biting on it. I went back to see another dentist in the same practice this morning who ground the crown down until I had a decent bite, but after I left and got something to eat, I still had the same pain problem with it. I have just paid £177 ( the maximum payable) and I feel a bit miffed about it.He also said that I would need a new chrome dental plate to replace the one I have, because the crown would be a different shape which would cost me another £450!! When the new crown was fitted, I asked him to try and fit my existing plate and although it was a bit uncomfortable at first,it seems to be ok. I think that the original crown was hammering the opposite tooth and I think that this is causing the sensitivity. I'll try and persevere for a week or so, but if he has to traet another tooth, I guess that I won't have to pay anymore. Also, any suggestions for dental insurance would be welcome. I don't fancy paying that sort of money again. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure