PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New lifestyle- no use-by dates!

Options
1235»

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you heat slightly stale bread in the microwave for a few seconds it revives long enough for you to eat it...my 18 year old daughter told me this!
    Great way to serve up fresh bread buns too. Warm and buttered with a dollop of good old fashioned marmalade.

Pure heaven.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • louise83
    louise83 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    My goodness, so many replies! Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

So, here is my summary of the wisdom I have gleaned from this thread:
    • Plan, plan, plan. Plan meals, plan shopping lists and anticipate and incorporate 'leftovers' to avoid them hanging around in the fridge.
    • Some foods are riskier than others. I am right to be slightly paranoid about meat and rice but should probably be a bit less stressed about things like veg and yoghurt (3 months old and no ill-effects! Wow!!)
    • Get over being queasy about examining food for spoilage. A bad whiff will not kill me, and throwing food out just for fear of it is a terrible waste.
    • The freezer is my friend. Rather than just shoving stuff in the fridge, I should consider how likely it is to get eaten in the next couple of days and if it isn't- freeze it.
    • For those items left in the fridge, 3 days seem to be a frequently mentioned rule of thumb to bear in mind for homemade stuff. Label things to avoid any confusion about what was made/opened when..
    • I should remember that the use-by dates I'm used to on ready meals incorporates a lot of travel and storage time before it gets to my fridge.

I'm feeling so inspired now, I'm going to look through the recipe thread and start planning meals. Thank you!

Louise.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    :T Great synopsis!! You're going to do just GREAT!!! :A
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories