65 years old

Options
Hi

at the moment after a long and arduous campaign I receive
PIP and carers allowance.

In 18 months time I reach the age of 65 can anyone tell ,me what happens then? and if PIP is replace by another benefit can I claim now in case the process is as long as PIPS - took me 18 months to get the award.

thanks

Ian

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    the PIP award will continue for as long as you still meet the criteria.
    do you claim carers allowance for looking after someone else, or does someone else claim carers allowance3 for looking after you?
  • jen0dorf
    jen0dorf Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    HI

thanks for the response

My wife gets the carers aallowance for looking after me.

As to pips

https://www.gov.uk/pip/overview

it seems to clearly state that it ceases when you reach 65 and my documentation ( framed and stuck on loo wall - well it is treasures and ai waited so long...) states it stops when I reach 65

thanks

Ian
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jen0dorf wrote: »
    As to pips

https://www.gov.uk/pip/overview

it seems to clearly state that it ceases when you reach 65 and my documentation ( framed and stuck on loo wall - well it is treasures and ai waited so long...) states it stops when I reach 65

You can't make a new claim for PIP after you're 65 but if you already have it, you keep it.
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    mojisola is correct. you keep the PIP regardless of age for as long as you qualify.
    how old is your wife?
    carers allowance is an overlapping benefit with state pension. so once your wife reaches retirement age, carers allowance will stop.
    she will have an 'underlying entitlement' to it though, but this only makes a difference if you claim income related benefit
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/5/section/83
    'A person is not entitled to PIP after 65' - however, this is modified as allowed by:
    25. Section 83(1) of the Act (persons of pensionable age) does not apply where C has reached the relevant age if C —

(a)was entitled to an award of either or both components on the day preceding the day on which C reached the relevant age; or

(b)made a claim for personal independence payment before reaching the relevant age and that claim was not determined before C reached that age but an award of either or both components would be made in respect of C but for section 83(1) of the Act.

However - changes of circumstances can only reduce the mobility component - the care component can go up after this date.
  • benniebert
    benniebert Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    jen0dorf wrote: »
    Hi

at the moment after a long and arduous campaign I receive
    PIP and carers allowance.

In 18 months time I reach the age of 65 can anyone tell ,me what happens then? and if PIP is replace by another benefit can I claim now in case the process is as long as PIPS - took me 18 months to get the award.

thanks

Ian

You are able to continue your PIP award after your 65th. However you will be reassessed at regular intervals and if one of those reassessments results in a fail after your 65th, and you fail at a Tribunal as well, you will never be able to reclaim PIP again as you will be too old.
  • jen0dorf
    jen0dorf Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I hope I'm getting my head around this

My official letter says

you are entitled to ...... to 17 Dec 2016 ( which is one month after I turn 60.

Do I assume then that at that point or prior I will be called in for a reassesment ?

Many thanks for all thegood advice

Ian
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    they will send you a renewal form which you complete, and the whole rigmarole starts again!
    if you do fail the assessment after the age of 65.... and also fail at tribunal ...
    you can then claim attendance allowance.
    there is no mobility component ( thats why it is preferable to remain on PIP if possible) but the care components are the same as PIP ( benefit amount)
  • benniebert
    benniebert Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »

if you do fail the assessment after the age of 65.... and also fail at tribunal ...
    you can then claim attendance allowance.
    there is no mobility component ( thats why it is preferable to remain on PIP if possible) but the care components are the same as PIP ( benefit amount)

You are correct, but I would point out that the criteria for Attendance Allowance is totally different to that of the care side of PIP. In fact most people suggest that it is more difficult to qualify for Attendance Allowance than the 8 points you need for PIP (Care).

I have considered this myself for both of us, and to be honest there is no way that we would come close to qualifying for AA, but on paper would have qualified for PIP (Care).
    Hence there is absolutely no point in us wasting our time filling out the massive form.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    benniebert wrote: »
    You are correct, but I would point out that the criteria for Attendance Allowance is totally different to that of the care side of PIP. In fact most people suggest that it is more difficult to qualify for Attendance Allowance than the 8 points you need for PIP (Care).

This is an _extreme_ overgeneralisation.

Different people have different care needs, and this will map onto the different benefits - some may be entitled for one, not the other.
    There is no clear picture, it's individual.

As one example, someone that requires help throughout the day with - say - communicating with others - may be entitled to AA, but may miss out on PIP as that engagement does not meet the bar of causing overwhelming distress, or causing a substantial risk to the person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure