Smart TV/signal/buffering

Options
TV is 20 feet away from router and obviously uses wi-fi. If I watch a film on the computer (next to router), the 'watch'/download pic is 'good' (I'm with Sky - not as good as Virgin ??), but if I watch on the TV, I get buffering/stalling.

Way to improve TV watching ?

Would an ethernet cable connecting TV to router make the TV picture/reception better...? (assume this would be the case as I am then not replying on a wi-fi signal).

thanks for any advice

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 April 2015 at 3:12PM
    Options
    A pair of Homeplugs would provide a much neater connection. Wi-fi isn't just about distance, it's about what's in the way. 20 feet through clear air should be fine, but 20 feet through a masonry wall may be far more problematic.
    This assumes that your line supports the necessary speed to stream video, typically a minimum speed of around 3MBps is required. Which appears to be the case if you can stream to the PC OK using ethernet or wi-fi-you didn't say which.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • castle96
    castle96 Posts: 2,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Homeplugs....right
    they do seem to vary a lot in price (and spec ?) - which ones ?

through one brick wall, yes.

My Smart tv manual did say not to place the router within 3 feet of tv (why?), but if the tv is about 3 feet from the mains plug, then if the signal is coming from router to mains plug socket through the electric witrs (yes ?), then surely that IS the same as the router being within 3 feet of the tv

?
  • enfield_freddy
    enfield_freddy Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    Options
    "are" you able to run a wire from your router to the TV ? if so this is by far the cheapest option (has your tv got an Ethernet socket?)

to cut the choice of home plugs down , the specs you want are the 500 or 600 types , they come as normal or with a 13 amp socket on them , do not plug them into extensions , how about argos , with a return policy , http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Browse?s=Price%3A+Low+-+High&storeId=10151&catalogId=25051&langId=110&q=HOMEPLUG&authToken=

starting half way down the page
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ethernet might be cheaper, but it's a 20 foot run with a masonry wall in the way.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • enfield_freddy
    enfield_freddy Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    Options
    argos homeplugs on a weeks trial then ,
  • Moneymaker
    Moneymaker Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    s assumes that your line supports the necessary speed to stream video, typically a minimum speed of around 3MBps is required.

Are you certain? I get only 3Mbps and it's fine. 3MBps = 24Mbps, which is an unachievable speed for most people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure