Repayment Threshold 2016/17

With RPI for March in at 0.9%, the repayment threshold (for plan 1 loans) will rise to £17495 from April 2016 (17335x1.009 rounded up). Monthly threshold will be £1457 and weekly threshold will be £336.

From 1st September 2015:

Interest rates for plan 1 loans will be 0.9%.

Interest rates for plan 2 loans will be 0.9% or 3.9% depending on whether you are studying or not.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,829
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    From 1st September 2015:

Interest rates for plan 2 loans will be 0.9% or 3.9% depending on whether you are studying or not.

Don't think that is quite right. See here:

http://www.slc.co.uk/services/interest-rates.aspx

If you graduate Summer 2015 the interest rate will be 3.9% until April 2016.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,860
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    Don't think that is quite right. See here:

http://www.slc.co.uk/services/interest-rates.aspx

If you graduate Summer 2015 the interest rate will be 3.9% until April 2016.

Yeah - technically by 'still studying' I mean 'until the April after you finish'.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    With RPI for March in at 0.9%, the repayment threshold (for plan 1 loans) will rise to £17495 from April 2016 (17335x1.009 rounded up). Monthly threshold will be £1457 and weekly threshold will be £336.

From 1st September 2015:

Interest rates for plan 1 loans will be 0.9%.

Thanks for the good news! A student loan rate of 0.9% and a mortgage rate of 1.5%! Cheap cheap cheap.
  • silvercar
    Ambassador
    I wonder on the logic of having an interest rate much higher while you are studying until 8 months later, then having a lower interest rate from then on.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Lokolo
    Forumite
    I wonder on the logic of having an interest rate much higher while you are studying until 8 months later, then having a lower interest rate from then on.

I don't think much logic was thought about with the 2012 onward loans....
  • Ed-1
    Forumite

It was to put off those who could afford to pay upfront from simply taking the loans and making money on them as they were so low-interest before 2012.

It was designed to make people think twice about whether to pay up front or take the loans. By imposing a higher interest rate while studying people can't 'wait and see' whether they get a job leading to low/high earnings but instead have to decide whether to gamble on the interest hit and then being a high earner.

With the £21000 repayment threshold for plan 2 turning out to be so much higher relative to earnings than was thought in 2010 though it pretty much wins to take the plan 2 loans in most circumstances (unless the threshold changes :eek:).
  • Ed-1
    Forumite
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Thanks for the good news! A student loan rate of 0.9% and a mortgage rate of 1.5%! Cheap cheap cheap.

With the threshold also now changing yearly by RPI is it good news to have a low RPI?

It depends on whether you took out loans from 2006 onwards and are likely to benefit from a 25 year write off or not - if you are then you want a high RPI as this means a higher threshold and so lower repayments.

If you are likely to pay it all off then you want a low RPI as this means lower interest and so leads to lower repayments overall.
  • silvercar
    Ambassador
    With the threshold also now changing yearly by RPI is it good news to have a low RPI?

It depends on whether you took out loans from 2006 onwards and are likely to benefit from a 25 year write off or not - if you are then you want a high RPI as this means a higher threshold and so lower repayments.

If you are likely to pay it all off then you want a low RPI as this means lower interest and so leads to lower repayments overall.

There comes a point where you are concerned with the value of your earnings, not just the interest you pay on your loan.
  • Lokolo
    Forumite

Yes I suppose I am being a bit selfish. I have halved my student loan in 3 years and it will be paid off in the next 3 without OP. So having low interest is helping that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure