sarahevie's single quest to mortgage freedom - Page 74

New Post Advanced Search

sarahevie's single quest to mortgage freedom

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
742 replies 100.8K views

Replies

• sarahevie1sarahevie1 Forumite
    601 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    Have had quotes to do more building work at home. I want to get rid of the 1970s boxroom and take down the wall that separates that room and the room next to it, move the wall (also means bricking up the window) replacing the window with a smaller one to make both bedrooms doubles.Poor DD3's room is currently 7x6ft so it is really tiny! This plan does mean I'll end up with a smaller room though. DD1 has the official master although mine is currently similar floor space but square and hers is very long but narrow. With the moving the wall mine will also become narrower. I've had a quote £3155 includes getting rid of the last remaining artex in the house. Just the two bedroom ceilings and the hall, stairs and landing. I think I will go for this work - but also undecided about my bathroom.

The previous owners knocked through the original bathroom into the bedroom next door so its rather big! I'm debating reinstalling the wall and turning one side into a shower room and one a bathroom as such a big room seems a waste of space as we only use it one at a time. Not sure though as the bathroom is gorgeous people are always complimenting me on it and it was only installed in 2017. May leave it as it'll be in proportion to the 4 double bedrooms. They might not be everyone's cup of tea but I really love my 1970s detached, they are such roomy houses - you can do a lot with them. 
    HOME
    Original mortgage free date Nov 2037
    Mortgage free August 2018

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £51,000
    Teacher pension - DB scheme
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • FtbDreamingFtbDreaming Forumite
    878 posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Wow I’ve spent the last 3 days reading your diary! I feel like I know you now lol! You’ve done really well and so young too! X
    Mortgage started August 2020 £69,700
    Mortgage ends Aug 2050 MFW: Aug 2027 (Now: Oct 2049)
    Current Balance: £66,850 (LTV 81.5%)
    MFW2020 #156 £723.13/£2000
    MFW2021 #26 £759.49/£2500
    Emergency fund £460/£1000
    House fund £2654.17/£3500
    Net Worth Aug 2020 (-£68,578) May 2021 (-£62,996) - aiming for neutral one day! 
    Determined to make it! 
    601 posts
    ✭✭
    Wow I’ve spent the last 3 days reading your diary! I feel like I know you now lol! You’ve done really well and so young too! X
    Wow - well done - thanks so much for reading!
    There's been no big revelations from me, I just plod on. However, I have plodded on for many years and the cumulatives have put me in a pretty strong financial position now (far better than my salary alone suggests.) 
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £51,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
    601 posts
    ✭✭
    Tried to make an online payment for my IO BTL mortgage and the Hally has blocked it - so will phone up tomorrow (if I remember.) 

I'm starting a new job after Easter (mixed feelings about it - it's a dream job but only for a term and it's meant giving up my contract so I will be officially unemployed from 23rd July unless I can get something for September - schools have been pretty closed ships the past 18 months and lots of 2020s NQTs didn't secure jobs, not to mention 2021s new crop I'll be up against - so not hopeful about my chances but felt it was worth going for.) It'll be CV boosting and I'll love next term and that was enough for me! 

As I can't function without multiple income streams I'm also back with a supermarket job and tutoring; I'm giving up tutoring next term as really want to give my new role all I can. However, I do need something from July so I'm keeping with 4 hours a week at a supermarket so that I can work overtime over the summer if I need to. Did debate a lodger but decided against it. Having a very expensive time with house spends. Partner not impressed by my additional job, but told him it works for me, we go way back and don't think he's going to be questioning me too much - although there have been a few cross words spoken. 

Finally finished doing up the BTL I bought last summer, new kitchen has been installed. I'm so proud of the whole house. However, it's not going to break even until at least October; as I've spent over 7K on it. (The kitchen was just over £4500.) Plus my partner has just had to pay for a new towel rail, boiler at his BTL and that was £2000.  (I've not paid a penny for this as we have separate finances but it does feel like we've spent a lot on property recently.) I've had my fascias and soffits replaced at home another £2000. Plus I've booked the builders for the rooms rejigging so another £3600 to spend in April. Good job I'm getting a decent pay rise for next term! 

HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £51,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
    601 posts
    ✭✭
    £15883.83 2018
    £17885.75 2019
    £16447.57 2020
    £4128.19 2021

Spent less than £900 again this month at home, however finally had all the fascias/soffits replaced on my house so that was £1750 which I've included in my spends - I'm still trying to establish how much I need to live on to retire - and this will include car replacement costs, DIY etc. 

Builders booked for the 26th of this month to reconfigure the bedrooms. 

Still not oped as went to see a BTL and I'm seriously considering finishing my portfolio with a HMO. Portfolio is a little grand, as I only own two BTLs but one more would help me on my way to FIRE. I don't think BTL is great for everyone and I'm not preaching but it has definitely helped me on my way to financial independence - not as much as not spending has though. 

Have started a new fitness regime for April as I'm a stone overweight and concerned about my health - I've committed to doing an hours exercise everyday. (Just Joe Wicks followed by beginners exercise on youtube beginners level with no equipment.) Not convinced it'll work but can't do any harm. I'm not very confident and literally run if there's a camera near me. So maybe I'll gain some confidence along the way (I seriously doubt it - but can but try,) 
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £51,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
    601 posts
    ✭✭
    Dragged DD1 out for a 5 mile walk tonight. Could not face another workout video as legs are killing from yesterdays efforts. Also had a day out with the cousins to a national trust place so spent 6 hours walking round there. Only did just over 10,000 steps though (3 year olds pace), hence the five mile hike this evening.
    As much as I love littlies I was quite glad mine are a bit older today as I've realised I can't walk that slowly, and it was nice not to be thinking of potty training, toddler tantrums. I do love seeing my girls with their cousin though as physically the resemblance is startling but the behaviour traits more so.  
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £51,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
    601 posts
    ✭✭
    Managed another 5 mile walk today along the coast (went to my favourite beach - the last two times we've been to Scarbs which I also like but not as much) Did the work out again yesterday and result my legs are not killing today must be getting fitter if not thinner! 

Didn't get fish and chips either so saved some cash actually had a day out for £12 which was some drinks from the Spar and ice creams girls were pretty happy with that. 

It's been all about the family this week as been in the garden with different cousins over the past few days. Also arranged to meet a friend from where I used to live next week. Means driving over but will be good to catch up. 
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £51,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
    601 posts
    ✭✭
    After yesterdays spends having a more frugal day at home today. 

Went to see an old friend and ended up spending £309 - absolutely unheard of for me. We're going away at August bank hol on a caravan site. We've been away in a B&B together before and I've been on a couple of caravan hols with different friends and kids before but not recently as decided a few years ago after 5 years of multiple site trips a year (when I was with the can't leave UK ex plus was actively paying off the mortgage so couldn't justify holiday costs) that they just aren't me.

Anyway actually really looking forward to it - although a bit apprehensive as I'm not very peopley at the best of times and with my aversion to drinking the clubhouse is not my cup of tea. I'm sure it'll be fine. Kids are looking forward to it and that's the main thing. 

As I was doing my own head in with the adding to the BTLs, I've decided to just get mortgage free again. So £11,200 (all of my savings) sent to the BTL mortgage. 

HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £51,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
    601 posts
    ✭✭
    Been paid from my additional job today so sent the £358.08 to my savings account - it was a bit silly to completely wipe out my savings by overpaying so going to get them to around the £2000 mark and then re start oping. 
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £51,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
    601 posts
    ✭✭
    Savings now around the £600 mark as sent another £200 (child benefit) there today. Have cancelled DD2's swimming lessons as she has completed all her badges and didn't want to return for lifesaving so that's £30 a month. In money ying and yang she's wanting to add another dance class in it's place but I've told her to hang on as I don't want to go back to clubs 5 nights a week. T

he girls are returning to some dancing, some uniform groups (zoom still currently) and swimming for DD3 and that's enough for now. Plus DD2s football. So three nights a week plus weekend football matches is enough. 
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £51,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme