sarahevie's single quest to mortgage freedom

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
739 replies 100.1K views

Replies

• debtfreeonedaydebtfreeoneday Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    We did one of these in the Summer holidays and saved a lot and really enjoyed it.. was totally knackered by the end of it as well!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone for good (02/19)
    MFW (01/15) £61,996.97
  • sarahevie1sarahevie1 Forumite
    597 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    Had a cheapie day today.

£8.40 at a local museum for the four of us. Avoided the additional £4 per child for the Santa experience.

£3 on bit to take a picnic with us.

Had to have a filling yesterday but just paid the basic NHS charge.

Went out with friends from work last night, drove, which saved a lot in taxis, drinks so the whole evening until 1am only cost £7:j
    HOME
    Original mortgage free date Nov 2037
    Mortgage free August 2018

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £51,000
    Teacher pension - DB scheme
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
    597 posts
    ✭✭
    Pretty spendy day.

Carried on the tradition from my childhood and had a Chinese takeaway for tea. £20.

Felt really mean that I'd only bought the girls a dress, gold coins and a hollow santa each - so went to the pound shop earlier and have filled a stocking each for them with hairbands, felt tips, colouring book etc. £23 spent.

Took the girls to a local climbing wall which also cost £25 but it is their favourite past time ever and lasted 2.5 hours and they were so thrilled. It was billed as a drop and dash, whereby they had a 'party' whilst parents went last minute shopping.

Being MSE I used the time to go to the Natwest to overpay the mortgage. Apart from I couldn't do it in branch as I don't have a Natwest account to transfer it from. Tried to do it from my own bank and I also couldn't (well could but at a £35 charge - no thank you.) If they think making it harder to overpay has put me off, they're wrong I'm more determined than ever!! Will read up on the options. (Have decided to overpay the £681 I got back from the solicitors.)
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £51,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
    597 posts
    ✭✭
    4 NSDs in a row, well apart from petrol but I needed that to get home.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £51,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • Well done :). That's not easy at this time of year. A lot of people will be telling themselves not to worry until January. Well done for getting cracking early :)
    597 posts
    ✭✭
    jeanangeo wrote: »
    Well done :). That's not easy at this time of year. A lot of people will be telling themselves not to worry until January. Well done for getting cracking early :)

Thanks, old habits die hard, even if I were a millionaire I reckon I'd be like this.

Had some interesting conversations over Christmas, my family have long been against me overpaying and they were going on about it over the festive season. I stayed quiet. There were a few murmurings that perhaps it had been sensible. (My goal was always to get myself into a position to afford my house if I ever ended up alone.)

I couldn't even rent a room in a houseshare for the cost of my mortgage £257, (there was some agreement that overpayments had helped with that.)

But your not seriously going to continue to overpay the mortgage are you.... (I stayed silent, you can't argue with the stupid.):rotfl:
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £51,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
    597 posts
    ✭✭
    Another no spend day. (Had a lovely time with DD2 &3 playing with new toys and catching up with Christmas tv. Currently watching Nativity 2 - DD3 in bed.)

DD1 has gone to watch the new Star Wars film.
    HOME

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £51,000
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • debtfreeonedaydebtfreeoneday Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are absolutely two types of people, ones that get it (that includes us mad lot on here) and those who don't. I can't understand now how people don't get it and why they don't overpay any £5 or £10 if they can?

Glad you've had a nice day with your girls!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone for good (02/19)
    MFW (01/15) £61,996.97
  • edited 29 December 2015 at 11:53PM
    jeanangeojeanangeo Forumite
    141 posts
    edited 29 December 2015 at 11:53PM
    There are absolutely two types of people, ones that get it (that includes us mad lot on here) and those who don't. I can't understand now how people don't get it and why they don't overpay any £5 or £10 if they can?

I don't understand it either :). Now. However, I wasted 10 years of my mortgage life being just like that.

I think that debt has become such a part of life that people don't see it as a problem. It's normal to be in debt. My friends and family are all like that. Getting by paying the absolute minimum and living on credit. Madness...

I wish I'd been awake ten years ago... I would be mortgage free by now. It's only thanks to this website that I woke up at all.
  • Ali-OKAli-OK Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Completely echo jeanangeo. I was a sheep following the wrong majority for a long while, then it became more about circumstances...then whoosh...light bulb moment when I found MSE :)

Hope you had a smile to yourself Sarah on the OP mutterings :)
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18