Where is template for complaint letter for mis-sold life insurance?

Options
Could someone please give me a link? :)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is no template. Life assurance has low complaint rates and most complaints that are made are rejected.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • glicky
    glicky Posts: 318 Forumite
    Options
    I was mis-sold Life Insurance with an endowment. I am single and certainly didn't need Life Insurance or an endowment mortgage, but was advised to take out an endowment. I later found out that life insurance was in with the endowment. I was also told that there would be plenty left over from the endowment to do as I please. The shortfall from the endowment for the mortgage was £12,000.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    I was mis-sold Life Insurance with an endowment.

Are you saying you took out an additional policy (i.e. two premiums) with the endowment or that the endowment had life assurance?
    I am single and certainly didn't need Life Insurance or an endowment mortgage, but was advised to take out an endowment.

Endowments havent been retailed for over a decade. So, you are likely going back to a period when lenders required a repayment vehicle with an interest only mortgage. So, you have may not have had a choice if the lender insisted on it.
    I later found out that life insurance was in with the endowment.

That is correct and is a requirement on an endowment policy.
    I was also told that there would be plenty left over from the endowment to do as I please.
    Up until 2001, virtually all endowments paid surpluses. However, what evidence do you have to back up that allegation?
    Why have you not raised it earlier?

The reason I say that is that from around 2004-2008, endowment providers issued warnings that you had 3 years to complain about shortfalls. By around 2009, three quarters of all endowments had been timebarred from complaint. So, why did you not raise it then?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    From what you say, it sounds as though the endowment has actually matured with a shortfall of £12,000. When was that/
  • glicky
    edited 8 April 2015 at 11:58AM
    Options
    From what you say, it sounds as though the endowment has actually matured with a shortfall of £12,000. When was that/
    Yes - end of 2013, but got paid out in 2014 :(
  • glicky
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Are you saying you took out an additional policy (i.e. two premiums) with the endowment or that the endowment had life assurance?

the endowment had life insurance in it
    Endowments havent been retailed for over a decade. So, you are likely going back to a period when lenders required a repayment vehicle with an interest only mortgage. So, you have may not have had a choice if the lender insisted on it.
    it was in 1988

Up until 2001, virtually all endowments paid surpluses. However, what evidence do you have to back up that allegation?
    Why have you not raised it earlier?
    because I only got paid out last year and at beginning of this year received a letter from L&G trying to sell me more life insurance. It stated in that letter that I previously had life insurance with them, which confused me, so i looked into it a bit further.
    The reason I say that is that from around 2004-2008, endowment providers issued warnings that you had 3 years to complain about shortfalls. By around 2009, three quarters of all endowments had been timebarred from complaint. So, why did you not raise it then?
    see above please
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You would almost certainly have received a letter from L&G giving you a deadline to complain by. If not then you can complain now.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    it was in 1988

In which case, going with an interest only mortgage would have required either an endowment policy or a pension at that date.
    because I only got paid out last year and at beginning of this year received a letter from L&G trying to sell me more life insurance. It stated in that letter that I previously had life insurance with them, which confused me, so i looked into it a bit further.

All endowments have life assurance as part of them. it is a requirement for them to be classed as an endowment.

When did you get your first warning of a high risk of a shortfall? (that would be the point the 3 year time bar clock would start ticking). I would expect it to have been around 2001-2004.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure