PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Gleeson Homes

Options
2»

Comments

• D.L.M
    D.L.M Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi again,

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I did wonder about what would happen with the tv aerial and whether one came with the house or not. So thank you for the heads up on that. The turf and carpets are an extra cost that have already been explained to us. We've also just found out that we'll have to pay for the green spaces to be maintained on the new estate, although this isn't until the last house is built. Sold and occupied. Not exactly sure why we have to pay for grass to be cut etc or how much it will cost, but it would have been nice to have had that explained when we initially reserved the plot.

I'm glad your home is what you want it to be, even if Gleesons haven't been that fantastic to deal with. Do I need to be wary of them taking legal action for silly reasons too?

Ours is freehold too. Although they've made some bizarre rules about what we can do with the front of the property, which I don't understand. We want to paint our own front door ourselves as they want £80 for it, but they said we have to pay or keep it white. If we paint it ourselves, we're breaking the rules or something. I find that a bit ridiculous since it'll be our home so we can do as we please with it. I could understand if we were going to paint obscenities on it or have it bright orange. But we just want to have it black without paying the £80 for it. These are some of the questions I have for the sales advisor, but obviously I've not had much luck with that. So may just chance painting it ourselves when we move in. Can't imagine it being that much of an issue surely?
  • ftb2015
    ftb2015 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    We're buying a gleeson (completing next week), our house was already completedwhen we reserved but we were visiting the site for 10 months before we were ready to go ahead. Can honestly say that the staff have been very accommodating throughout, before and after we signed.

Our plot was a little more than others but comes with lawn, fencing, carpets, light fittings and curtains so all in all its a good deal. We did snagging recently and went in with a list of things we'd spotted when we went around measuring up but everything had already been done.

I think they are a budget build when compared to redrow but we're gettinga much bigger house for a lot less money, happy to be getting on the ladder!

Most new build sites we visited have fees for maintenance of green spaces (ours doesn't) so that's pretty normal. Our site manager said they like to keep things uniform but said other people have built porches and changed doors and it's not been an issue.

Maybe put a call in to head office and ask for progress reports? its an exciting/anxious time so no need for mean advisers!!
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Options
    Gleesons tend to have all the usual "you must get permission for aerials, no sat dishes to front, open plan, no commercial vehicle" clauses but to be honest we were told they would only really be bothered while they were on site and held an interest. The show homes have all but been sold now and people including us have been ignoring the covenants already.

The sales woman we dealt with was crap, didn't know what she was really talking about, very abrupt till she knew we were buying, got better but then made promises she couldn't keep, and out right lies about other things which gleesons refused to honour.

Very little snagging involved at ours to be fair. :) most major was a leaky kitchen sink, other than that no real problems. Don't know if that's because we've got a so called floating stair case so the house isn't a straight forward construction maybe they have to be more careful?

Still waiting for the tree that was part of the original planning permissions for the site though...

All in all the pros still outweighed all the cons for us, but that's partly to do with where we've bought as well. Xxx
  • D.L.M
    D.L.M Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks again for the responses. Your comments are really helpful. I'm glad that those of you with gleeson homes have had good experiences with the houses themselves, despite some of you also having a bit of a bad time with the sales people. Although, I'm glad to hear at least one person had a nice sales person. I suppose it's just luck of the draw as to whether you get a good or bad one really. As long as it doesn't affect the home then I'll happily let the sales advisor continue with their abrupt demeanour.

The garden with the glass doesn't sound too promising. I've read somewhere else that somebody had a similar problem, I think it was a comment on their facebook page if I remember correctly. It's good to know that this issue was eventually resolved though, so it gives me hope that not all of gleesons staff are as difficult to deal with.

Sorry to hear the tree issue hasn't been sorted. We've been told that our house will have shrubbery and such greenery planted around the boundary wall of the back garden as ours is a corner plot, so one side of the garden is a wall. So I'll make sure I keep an eye on that actually happening.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and advice. It's very much appreciated. I know the sales advisor is the one that's meant to tell us these things and is the one paid for it, but I appreciate everyone sharing their advice and personal experiences.
  • Nholmes3755
    Options
    Hi,
    Just a quick one, in the process of buying a avenmore 3 bed detatched.
    Wanting a few extras thrown in which in all honesty shouldn't really be extras.
    Has anyone had any success with haggling for extras and what did you get.
    House price is £133,000
  • Fuzzyness
    Fuzzyness Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    try contacting the regional sales director to voice your concerns with about the site sales person.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,712 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    in the process of buying a avenmore 3 bed detatched.
    House price is £133,000

3 bed detached for £133K?? Where in the country is this?

Where I live you could reverse those figures - £331K
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Options
    Which extras? Because quite honestly none are worthbirt except maybe the upgraded kitchen. The turf they use as standard is cheap and cheerful, and the floorings and window coverings are much the same. Xxx
  • Myth
    Options
    Sounds about right for the ones in Yorkshire (3 bed Gleeson @ ~£113)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure