Help needed please

Options
Ok my partner has had a heart attack,he had clots in his heart had the whole works, he also suffers panic attacks which hes been seeing someone for,suffers asthma,diabetes and ibs, he was my sons carer as my son has autism and obviously he can no longer be his carer for the time being.

Now obviously i will have to give up work and look after the children and i will have to claim carers for looking after my son as i will be looking after them both.

Now my question is i will have no wages coming in will i be able to claim the personal independant payment for my partner? otherwise i dont know what we are going to do.

Comments

• Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 March 2015 at 11:14PM
    Options
    You can't claim PIP for your partner he would have to claim for himself... he would also of have to had the illness for at least 3 months and expected for it too last for a for 9 months at least...The Asthma,diabetes and ibs hasn't obviously been a problem before now to the stage of Care required or mobility affected as he hasn't claimed DLA or PIP before now so it seems he would struggle to qualify for those illnesses.
  • smileymummy
    Options
    His heart muscle is badly damaged though so i am not sure how this is going to affect him to be honest.
    thanks for the advice.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He may be able to claim PIP in 3 months time. But it depends how things go. You do have the option of claiming carers allowance for your son and then claiming income support (couple) as a top up.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Poppie68
    Options
    Does he claim ESA?
    Or is he still employed and claiming company sick pay?
  • Poppie68
    Options
    His heart muscle is badly damaged though so i am not sure how this is going to affect him to be honest.
    thanks for the advice.

Depending on how long he has had these heart problems it's worth getting a letter from his consultant or GP detailing his problem and the onhoing issues and even an approx timescale for recovery. Send off with a PIP application.
  • smileymummy
    Options
    Poppie68 wrote: »
    Does he claim ESA?
    Or is he still employed and claiming company sick pay?

No he doesnt claim esa,he been off work a while due to the depression ect, he used to be on something else had an atos and they stopped all his money then,so we have been surviving on my wages and tc.
  • smileymummy
    Options
    They have said when they reveiw him they may need to fit a pacemaker.
  • Poppie68
    Options
    Is he on the sick from work and receiving sick pay or is he now off work because he is unemployed due to illness?
  • helping_hand2014
    Options
    if you feel he may be entitled PIP then he should make a claim the DWP will deicide weather or not he is entitled to it no one else can decide that but the DWP
  • benniebert
    benniebert Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    They have said when they reveiw him they may need to fit a pacemaker.

Just to offer a glimmer of hope that things will improve. I have a neighbour who is in his late 70's and has had a pacemaker for over 20 years. He does go to the hospital for check ups and adjustments, but he also lives a normal life.
    Only recently he has had to give up his golf (legs are giving up). Prior to then he was playing 18 holes 2/3 times a week and walking everywhere + swimming and cycling.

It is most unlikely that your husband would be sufficiently disabled to qualify for PIP because he has a pacemaker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure