Paying rent with CC

Options
Great way to build your credit rating if you have a 0% purchase promo offer. Pity I just thought about this after making a bank transfer to pay rent. Should've used my credit card instead. -______-

Comments

• bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Private landlords are not likely to accept rent paid by CC. Some local authorities and housing associations might do it, but they are likely to ask for an additional charge (about 3%) to cover their additional costs.

Check with your landlord whether you can use CC at all and enquire about the additional costs.
  • quinndelfre
    Options
    Private landlords are not likely to accept rent paid by CC. Some local authorities and housing associations might do it, but they are likely to ask for an additional charge (about 3%) to cover their additional costs.

Check with your landlord whether you can use CC at all and enquire about the additional costs.

Don't think my private landlord will even notice I'm paying rent with a CC. He gave me his bank details and each month I transfer money to him by the deadline. No direct debit arrangements were set up. If I suddenly switch to using a CC he probably won't even know.

And what additional costs? Should be the person using the CC who faces any charges by the bank, not the receiver.
  • Deru
    Deru Posts: 621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How does your private landlord take payment? Bank transfer?

A local authority will likely have a web portal that can accept credit cards. I've paid this way for someone and didn't incur any charges on my end. Does your private landlord have this facility? (I wouldn't be surprised with the innovative web services these days).

>And what additional costs? Should be the person using the CC who faces any charges by the bank, not the receiver.

TBH, I don't see how it's a great way to build credit. Any card with a balance of some sort will help. 0% promo doesn't really make much difference other than tempt you to spend on the card.

I'd think so. You'd pay the surcharge. I think what bengal meant is that you'd be paying more so you best check the charges to see if it's worth it. Not great to have to pay 3% extra even if you are on a 0% purchases deal.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP - have you actually ever used a credit card before? If so, have you ever tried paying an individual?
  • ashleypride
    ashleypride Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP if your credit card really has a facility to transfer money to a 3rd parties bank account, then that would treated the same as a cash advance, the 0% would not apply.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Unless the OP is talking about a money transfer card e.g. MBNA? But if they took out an MBNA Platinum card, assuming their rent is say £800pcm, they would need to transfer £9.6k to their bank account and with a 1.94% fee (£186.24) that would be interest free for 2 years. However, they would need MBNA to give them a limit of at least £12k to manage that and unless the OP is an above average earner and has an immaculate credit history, well.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • quinndelfre
    quinndelfre Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    OP if your credit card really has a facility to transfer money to a 3rd parties bank account, then that would treated the same as a cash advance, the 0% would not apply.

I'd think of paying someone rent the same as buying something online. Doesn't it count as a purchase? I'm using the CC to pay cash in advance then have to clear my CC balance within 56 days. I don't get charged when I'm buying things online. I get 0% charge for balance transfers and purchases, only charged for cash withdrawals.
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd think of paying someone rent the same as buying something online.

You can only pay someone by card who is set-up to take cards. This involves a contract with a firm or a bank who will provide the necessary equipment and the service and in turn will take a percentage of every Credit Card transaction (a flat rate for Debit Cards). The level of fees will have to be negotiated and is dependent on the merchant's expected turnover.

Private individuals have little need to accept cards. Just as I cannot pay you money by CC (unless to a portal like paypal) so is (in all probability) your private landlord not set-up to take cards.

Ask him (or her).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you transfer money to a bank account, then it's a cash advance. If your landlord doesn't accept card payments, then you'll end up paying fees and interest.

Landlords are generally not the same as online retailers. Unless you're renting from Amazon?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great way to build your credit rating if you have a 0% purchase promo offer.

Using 0% accounts will do little to aid this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure