Barclaycard do they automatically increase limits any more ?

Hi,
Just go myself a Barclaycard Platinum card and on the letter that came with it the said if I wanted they could review my limit after 3 months to increase it!.

The limit is quite high and I cant see me needing any more, but I though they just automatically increased it every so often like they used to do years ago, but this seems to imply that I need to contact them after 3 months if I wanted it increased, or would they just write to me and offer me an increase any way ?.

Just wondering if any other Barclaycard users out there get there limits automatically increased.

Thanks.

Comments

• thatwilldo
    thatwilldo Posts: 45 Forumite
    I think they do. They increased mine in January after having the card 24 months. That said I have had my natwest one for 18 months pif every month but never had an increase and I bank with them too. Have a feeling that when u reach a certain position the they stop the increases which I suppose is correct.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    edited 31 March 2015 at 7:40PM
    Yes they do. Took out a new Barclaycard in Nov/Dec 2014, today received an automatic increase letter in the post for another £2k.

You also have the option to increase your limit on their online banking if you needed to.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Yes they do. Took out a new Barclaycard in Nov/Dec 2014, today received an automatic increase letter in the post for another £2k.

You also have the option to increase your limit on their online banking if you needed to.

Yes, me too, last week. Had the card since it was Egg. Didn't ask for the increase.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've had a 2k increase recently.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • TheGenerus1
    TheGenerus1 Posts: 254 Forumite
    Got my Barclaycard Platinum in December 2013, Have not had a automatic increase up until now.
  • MadMat
    MadMat Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I too got a recent letter offering increase from 1k to 2.5k on a barclaycard initial card

Mat
  • I had an automatic increase of £1500 this week, after asking for one myself a month ago and being turned down. Yet another indication that obtaining credit is hit and miss... a joke, in fact.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I got an automatic £1800 increase last week. Not sure why as I never go near the limit anyway.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • Mav6215
    Mav6215 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Last year my limit was doubled from 4k to 8k.

I didn't necessarily need it so I rang to ask about reducing it to 5k. I was advised that if I wish to have it raised later on a credit check would be required but when Barclaycard offer an increase then no credit check is made.

As for not going near the limit any cynical person would suggest that the bank increasing the limit would, hopefully, encourage people to use more of their credit.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 April 2015 at 10:45AM
    Mine gets increased automatically from time to time. On most occasions I lower it again - which I do online - and six months or so later they raise it again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure