NIGHTMARE! Apparently I owe SLC because they couldn't FIND ME!

Options
Got a whopper of a bill from advantis credit today, on behalf of student loans company.

Apparently they I owe them £1000 because they couldn't find me! Since I left my course I have always been employed with my details registered with HMRC (always update my address and contact details) or on benefits, and on the electoral roll.

This means that for every month they dont know where I am they get to slap and undisclosed fine on my account. I cant find information about this anywhere and I dont know what to do?!

Ive downloaded a form and sent that in to stop the balance going up but dont understand why they are allowed to fine me in the first place?? Surely if I cam prove that I was registered and was definately not earning above the repayment threshold they should remove the fine!!

Everytime I think Im sorted I get a cracker like this through the door!!

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No: it is your responsibility either to make repayments or to defer, and deferral involves giving them details of your income as well as, obviously, your address and contact details.
  • quailpower
    quailpower Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    I sent them details of my income and address? I have never earned enough to qualify to pay them back and have always responded when they sent me letters.

I just don't understand how they can charge me for not knowing where I am when I was told that they would use my details with HMRC and send letters accordingly.
  • Purplesky_2
    Purplesky_2 Posts: 152 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    No: it is your responsibility either to make repayments or to defer, and deferral involves giving them details of your income as well as, obviously, your address and contact details.

Pretty sure that was the old-style repayments before they switched to PAYE deductions....
  • quailpower
    quailpower Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Yes PurpleSky this was from a uni course in 2010 so it was deductable from my wages if I ever earned over 20K which I never did. They wrote a few times but I always replied with full wage details :/

Im just so shocked they can charge me £1000 FINE!! Thats not the loan, not a penny, its all a fine for "being off the grid" which apparenly is what happens when you are in full contact and either working or state benefit!!
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    quailpower wrote: »
    Yes PurpleSky this was from a uni course in 2010 so it was deductable from my wages if I ever earned over 20K which I never did. They wrote a few times but I always replied with full wage details :/

Im just so shocked they can charge me £1000 FINE!! Thats not the loan, not a penny, its all a fine for "being off the grid" which apparenly is what happens when you are in full contact and either working or state benefit!!

There is a debt collector involved, so the "fine" could well be fees that they made up.

The situation in this post is different from in your OP: if you simply assumed that HMRC would give them your details then you would be at fault and in trouble, but if you maintained contact and responded to letters that they sent to you then you are in a much stronger position.
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2015 at 4:12PM
    Options
    It depends. I have to tick a box on P46/starter declaration when starting a new job to make repayments. You tick the box regardless of earnings.

For my first job I got a letter from HMRC telling me they would now take repayments when I earned over the threshold in the April after I left.

You should really update your address with student finance though. I leave mine as my parents' address so letters get to me as I'm moving often at the moment.

Just to clarify though, if you moved jobs after the April after you left your course, then you were obliged to tick the box or notify HMRC specifically if you weren't given a starter declaration.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills