What's the cheapest broadband ?

Cut a long story short I was moving my tv/broadband and phone to VM so cancelled my Sky tv and Talktalk broadband packages.
The VM move is now unlikely to go ahead in the short term so I'm looking for a stop gap broadband service.I don't necessarily need a phone.
Cheers

Comments

• enfield_freddy
    enfield_freddy Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    without a phone line (or virgin phone) you are tied to mobile broadband , this can work out more expensive.

stop gap ? how long ,
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    without a phone line (or virgin phone) you are tied to mobile broadband , this can work out more expensive.

stop gap ? how long ,

I don't really know.
    My dilemma is my area doesn't yet have fibre...when it will have is anyones guess....and because my adsl connection is pretty slow that was one of the reasons I was moving to VM.

VM would be perfect for me but they can't/won't supply me with the correct contract.
    I'm thinking maybe I could try a new install with them in a month or two and see if they can get it right then but in the mean time I'm left in the lurch.
    I certainly don't want to sign up to an 18 month deal with Sky,BT etc
  • enfield_freddy
    you are going to have to stay on adsl , try looking for a monthly contact one , eg: http://www.directsavetelecom.co.uk/homebroadband_basic.php
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Look at offers loged through Cash Back Sites, see if it makes that all important difference. :money:
    CASH BACKS CAN NEVER BE GUARANTEED . :beer:
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • andyfromotley
    andyfromotley Posts: 2,038 Forumite
    upgrade yr mobile to a eat as much as you can data and use it for tethering? This doesn't have to be expensive and wasn't with Three
    £1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - [STRIKE]£23,410[/STRIKE] 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
    !
  • enfield_freddy
    an update for you from origin broadband , based on a non contact rolling monthly setup

Following up on our conversation I have put together the relevant information for you.

Not all quotes are subject to a minimum term and when they are cancelled there will be a maximum charge of £25 to cease all services.

With that being said here are our deals for a 30 day rolling term.

Broadband only deals (having our broadband service on your current BT line).

ADSL - £19.99 p/m + £50 installation
    FTTC - £34.99 p/m + £50 installation

Broadband and bringing your line rental across to us.

Line rental £16.40 p/m + ADSL £6.49 p/m - £50 installation
    Line rental £16.40 p/m + FTTC £19.99 p/m - £50 installation

If you were to agree to a minimum term of 12 months their wouldn't be an installation charge and you could move the services over to a new address free of charge.

If you have any queries, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

that's actually not to bad , and could work out cheaper than a dongle/mobile
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,574 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Daz2009 wrote: »
    I don't really know.
    My dilemma is my area doesn't yet have fibre...when it will have is anyones guess....and because my adsl connection is pretty slow that was one of the reasons I was moving to VM.

VM would be perfect for me but they can't/won't supply me with the correct contract.
    I'm thinking maybe I could try a new install with them in a month or two and see if they can get it right then but in the mean time I'm left in the lurch.
    I certainly don't want to sign up to an 18 month deal with Sky,BT etc

VM have dumped all their ADSL customers over to TalkTalk, so if you're not in a cabled area, your chance of getting any service with VM are pretty slim.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    You say pretty slim, it's non-existent.
    Sky provide a pretty good BB as they don't care how much you use and no shaping. However all BB providers will give you the same speed as it's your location to the exchange that matters. If you choose an "up to 38Mb" connection, but your house can only receive 5, it won't matter who supplies that BB, the speed will still be 5Mb.

Check samknows.com for what speeds you should expect and compare this with BT's estimation, bearing in mind BT may over inflate it to get your business.
  • Daz2009
    victor2 wrote: »
    VM have dumped all their ADSL customers over to TalkTalk, so if you're not in a cabled area, your chance of getting any service with VM are pretty slim.

You're confused Victor.VM fibre (cable) is available,that's not the problem.The problem is I can't get them to send me the correct contract to which I agreed in store.
    There is no BT fibre in my area hence I will have to continue with an adsl copper connection
  • Daz2009
    Thanks guys for your input but I've now managed to sort things out with VM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business