Sky mis-sold my recontract!

I received a retention offer via email so I had to speak to the live chat team to accept it. I was quote the price and all was good. I then received a confirmation email a day later that noted there was a price increase of £3 per month. Yeah it's only £3 but it's the principle.

I got onto the live chat and was told recontract offers are immediate and there is no cooling off period and the misinformation I was given was not a valid reason to 'nullify' the contract.

I'm absolutely livid at how sneaky they were!
Currently in a Trust Deed 43 payments until DEBT FREE - February 2027

Comments

• Oli.s
    Oli.s Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Complain by email including a copy of the chat log and the email.
  • Read the chat transcript very carefully. They normally offer you the retentions offer and then ask you what services you want - it you ask for something you didn't have that may also push up the cost. If you had an offer for something like free HD, Multi Room or the likes - these are not always covered by the retentions 'percent off' deals. You may have also had a deal offering you something like free Sky Go which may now be chargable as your contract and their terms have changed. Perhaps the free F1 with HD is something you had and said you wanted to keep, but they had to upgrade you to Sky Sports as that deal is no longer offered.

The do normally tell you the cost in the live chat - did they?

If it is Sky that is in the wrong you will have a copy of the live chat and could prove it. Just put the complaint into writing and send it to them.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Correct, no cooling-off period on upgrades.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ryan92
    ryan92 Posts: 587 Forumite
    Snippet from the live chat in question!

Naorem: , I see that your Sky packages were Variety for £33 a month. After 35% off, the new cost will be £21.45 a month.
    Naorem: Ryan, I see that you had two Multiroom subscriptions too. The cost of it are £11.25 each. So, extra cost for both will be £22.50.
    Ryan: Ideally I wouldn't want to have these boxes anymore
    Naorem: So, you want to have the Family TV package only. What about the Broadband, line rental and Talk ?
    Ryan: I'm happy with the broadband and talk :)
    Naorem: So, the packages that we will be reinstating is Family TV with the 35% off.
    Naorem: I am ready to proceed with this order. Shall I proceed with it?
    info: Your chat transcript will be sent to ryanjpenman@gmail.com at the end of your chat.
    Ryan: can you confirm my monthly cost for my full package?
    Naorem: I see that your current monthly cost with Broadband, line rental and talk after the current offers is £9.99 a month.
    Naorem: So, after adding the Family TV bundle to it with 35% off, the new total will be £31.44 a month.
    Ryan: so that offer stays in place? Brilliant :)
    Naorem: The 35% off offer is for 10 months and the contract length with it is 12 months.
    Naorem: With this offer, the existing offers with Broadband, line rental and talk will not be affected.
    Naorem: So, all the offers will remain as it is.
    Naorem: So, shall I reinstate the TV services with Family TV bundle and 35% off against the cost?
    Ryan: the offer says 12 months in the email
    Naorem: That code is not available at the moment. No problem, I will apply an immediate credit against the missing discounts of two months.
    Naorem: At 35% off, the discount against the £33 cost of Family TV bundle is £11.55. For two months, it will be £23.10 in total. So, I will apply a credit on the account for this same amount for you.
    Naorem: Is that okay with you?
    Ryan: that would be excellent
    Naorem: Great. I am glad that you liked it.
    Naorem: So, what I am going to do is, I will reinstate the TV services with Family TV bundle and 35% off, will apply the credit of £23.10 on the account and will update the changes on the account to make sure the Multiscreen gets canceled on 12/4/2015 as you already requested.
    Naorem: Shall I update this on the account now?
    Ryan: yeah that would be good
    Naorem: Excellent. I am confirming the order. Please give me a few more moments.
    Ryan: Thank you :)
    Naorem: You are welcome.
    Naorem: Ryan, everything is almost done.
    Ryan: fantastic :)
    Naorem: Ryan, I have reinstated the TV Services with Family TV bundle and I see that the Viewing Card that is attached to the Main TV box is 60858608. The other two multiscreen boxes will removed from the account effective next month.

At this point, the contract has now been renewed ; immediate and no cooling off period!

Naorem: The credit of £23.10 too is applied on the account as discussed.
    Ryan: I'm just having a look through my upcoming subscription charges Naorem ; for the may bill the family is costing £21.45 yet for June it's charged at £23.40
    Naorem: It will take some time to update. I am checking the updates for you. Please give me a few more moments.
    Ryan: thanks
    Naorem: I am applying the credit on your account for £23.10.
    Ryan: thanks very much
    Naorem: I have updated the credit on your account you can check your online account.\
    Ryan: Can I also remove Sky Go extra
    Naorem: It will be removed automatically when Sky multiscreen will be removed.
    Ryan: that's great!
    Naorem: You can check your next and future bill through your online account.,
    Naorem: Is there anything else I can help you with?
    Ryan: I am still not sure why the family price is higher for june
    Naorem: It is the price increase for every service provider and I have applied the credit for that in advance.
    Ryan: so I essentially would not pay this increase?
    Naorem: Yes. I have applied the advance credit for that.
  • whilst you may think it is sneaky, but you agreed to it. I suppose this is the issue with doing things 'off the cuff'. You might not be happy, but you, as can be seen in black and white, have agreed to what you have got.

Just a tip for next time - you need to be more pro-active in the discussion. You were led by the retentions advisor, which did impact your ability to get a good deal.

I recently went through the online retentions chat myself and started by saying:
    Me: I have just logged into mysky and it has offered me 35% off. I will happily stay with sky if you can give me a 50% off discount for a year and a £50 credit.
    Them: I can do that. Do you need any new boxes and is your dish ok?

I also knew exactly what I wanted package wise and told them directly.

To be fair I was livid, as I later found out that I may have been able to push for a £100 credit!
  • ryan92
    ryan92 Posts: 587 Forumite
    Sky in the end accepted it was a little on the misleading side and let me cancel in the end :)

31 days notice is in!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family