Replies

• edited 24 March 2015 at 1:02AM
    grumblergrumbler Forumite
    55.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 24 March 2015 at 1:02AM
    Mobile_Angry.jpg

Who is this guy shouting at? Is it his provider's fault that his phone was stolen? MSE really needs to increase their stock of the images.

On a serious note, the news should have stressed that regardless of the cap a stolen phone has to be reported ASAP as many people fail to understand this simple requirement.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • boatman wrote: »
    It doesn't cost the mobile networks anything, its not a physical product like fuel.. £100 for nothing is money for old rope..

maybe you'd like to set up a nationwide mobile service, and offer it to all MSE users for free :beer::beer:

im sure supplying it all wont cost you a penny :j
  • grumblergrumbler Forumite
    55.1K Posts
    Forumite
    He will also have to find other companies that will provide roaming in other countries for free and to come to agreement with all premium numbers providers to waive all charges if asked.

• macmanmacman Forumite
    49.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    boatman wrote: »
    It doesn't cost the mobile networks anything, its not a physical product like fuel.. £100 for nothing is money for old rope..

So you think that the overheads of running a mobile phone company are precisely zero? Hilarious.
    Most of these huge bills after theft are from unlocked phones stolen abroad, when the bills will be run up on the roaming network and only then passed back to the UK provider.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Jon_01Jon_01 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Pin codes are all well and good (very good in my personally opinion), but you have to factor in the 'room temperature IQ crowd'.
    When I worked on the phones for one of the network I'd get (at least once a week, often more) someone calling in who had set a pin on their sim yesterday and today (less than 18 hours later) had no idea what it was!

If a sim is sent out with a pin already set, I can many, many people calling CS to complain that the sim doesn't work because they can't be bothered to read the info that would come with it (or in some cases, just can't read).
  • edited 24 March 2015 at 10:52AM
    grumblergrumbler Forumite
    55.1K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 24 March 2015 at 10:52AM
    macman wrote: »
    So you think that the overheads of running a mobile phone company are precisely zero? Hilarious.
    The point was that the fixed costs don't increase as a result of the fraudulent calls. Only variable costs do that for normal calls constitute a very small proportion of the list price.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_cost
    Most of these huge bills after theft are from unlocked phones stolen abroad, when the bills will be run up on the roaming network and only then passed back to the UK provider.
    Again, the true cost price of roaming calls is very small compared to the list price. The prices of big bundles show this very clearly.

• boatmanboatman Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    im-lost wrote: »
    maybe you'd like to set up a nationwide mobile service, and offer it to all MSE users for free :beer::beer:

im sure supplying it all wont cost you a penny :j

I'd love to, with the customer service most of them offer, it should be free, its normally their incompetence that people have to call about. Communication companies can't communicate.
    As Grumbler has said, its the variable costs. People need to care for their phones to avoid it getting stolen, but I'm sure there are certain circumstances when charging them £100 is perhaps very unfair and beyond their control. In those circumstances £100 for calls that have no real cost is unfair.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides